If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Manxman

Discussion in 'Everything Else Heritage' started by Guest, Jan 18, 2009.

1. channel

channel Member

Assistant Harbour Master
    I am surprised she has not been snapped up as a luxury yacht roject. A number of steam vessels have been saved in this way but I guess Manxman is that little bit too big for this . . .

2. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    I did try to get to the big shed on Tuesday, but got the wagging finger treatment from the security guard at the barrier.

I don't really know if I wanted to actually see what lay beyond or not.

Martin - as my generation fades away, who is to say that some of the never restored locos from Barry, or especially from some of the former industrial sites will not get the chop? Our generation thought enough of them to save them from immediate destruction, but as a new generation with little attachment to that era takes the reins, is there a future for every rusting hulk lying around, some nowhere near rail installations???

I am not advocating that - merely- like you - asking the rhetorical question

3. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

Tbird Frank, i also have your concern, there are still youngsters who are interested in engineering, but heres the rub, will the skill base be there, as the ones who have the practical know how die out,and the skills dont get passed down, in my view, there will be some schemes that will not make it, and engines that probally will end up being broken up to provide spares to keep those other members of their class active , or in some cases younger owners, sons of fathers etc who do not have any interest in what their dad purchased and just want to sell off to enjoy the money raised

4. stan the man

stan the man Member

I guess I am one of the new generation, I care about about British Engineering, bought my first road steamer (Aveling 10 ton roller) at the age of 20, drove an old banger as I couldnt afford anything else, restored my engine outside come rain or shine, couldnt afford diddly squat but fired on by that passion of steam.
    I have now completed my 3rd major restoration of a road going steamer plus numerous other vehicles and now looking into the possibilities of a full size railway loco.

So beleive you me there are youngsters out there who care, maybe not as many as there could be but never the less they are there.
    This enthusiasm needs to be encouraged and nurtured as if not everything are forfathers saved will be lost, the loss of the Manxman has really upset. I know Pallion have held on to the old lady for so long hoping that a buyer will come forward, but how can we really have allowed this fate to befall her?

The rate we are loosing historic vessels there will soon be nothing left.

Rest in peace Manxman.. you deserved so much better... we let you down.

Stan (as Frank would say) "the man"

5. spindizzy

spindizzy Member

The biggest problem I can see is the fact that everything steam costs so much money now. Look at the price of steam rollers for example, they were once the cheapest of the cheap, no one wanted them, now they are the preserve of the rich man. Even more so with traction engines and it is getting to the point of new builds being cheaper than old. I am a skilled engineer with I hope all the ability to restore engines but two things are stopping me either buy or volunteer. I simply don't have spare cash to fund such a project and the second is time, my young family have to take priority atm. I hope the time part will ease in the future to release me a little more to get my hands dirty but I don't ever expect to have funds to buy something outright.

6. stan the man

stan the man Member

There are still bargains to be had out there with road steam steamers (I helped do a deal with a well known loco restorer last year for an Aveling roller which was between 4 and 6 K!.)

Back to Steamships, there are plenty who care who give what little money they can, but without some kind of goverment support / heritage support nothing can really be done.

Even the lovely old waverely how long will she keep sailing? she lives on a knife edge now (and thats only a few years after a major rebuild).

Manxman should and could have had a future as a statically preserved ship, the idea of getting her back into service was really pie in the sky.

Sadly there were no rich suagr daddies out there who were prepared to throw cash at her, although no doubt once shes gone people who soon realise that what has happened was tragic.

Jim s

7. GHWood

GHWood Member

Anyone heard anything? Has breaking started....?

8. Guest

Occasional
    Apparently there is a twenty foot square hole in her side and they are removing asbestos - such a bloody shame!

9. stan the man

stan the man Member

Not just a bloody shame but also a bloody tradegy.

very sad indeed.

Jim S

10. CALEDONIA

CALEDONIA New Member

Retired
    The day has finally arrived that all who loved the Manxman and wished would never happen has dawned. What a tragedy, after all the years when so many false dawns were raised the end is now in sight. So many wonderful voyages on her and her sisters to and from the Island, now the last link is going, how very short sighted. I wonder what people will think and write in years to come, when we had the chance to preserve the last true steam passenger ship and it was thrown away on far too many occasions.
    Thanks for the memories Manxman, a wonderful vessel, the like we will never see again.

11. GHWood

GHWood Member

Couldn't agree more. So sad after all this time.

12. Positive_Rate

Positive_Rate New Member

Hi,
    Does anyone actually know, ie seen it firsthand, that demolition has started?

This is dreadful if it has. Getting the asbestos out would ironically, be a step in the right direction.

Thanks,

Alan

13. stan the man

stan the man Member

I have hard that breaking was going to commence immediatly upon the removal of asbestos,. There was to be no reprive. I guess there is a very good chance that there may not be an awful lot left of the old girl by now.

Rather ironically a case study (costing many £££ was going to be undertaken as she was broken up)

Stan

14. Positive_Rate

Positive_Rate New Member

Hi All,
    I wish you would all stop boo-hooing whilst IT STILL EXISTS. As long as it is there, there IS STILL A CHANCE. You're like a bunch of sobbing children you really bloody are. So no-one actually knows if they've started carving it up. I really wish there was something I could do, I live in Dublin but do love the old thing. Aren't you guys kicking your local MP's door down - after the expenses scandal you have enough to whip them around town with.
    I can tell you its a matter of finding the right person - who can pressure whomever it is that needs their arse felt - in order to save it. Pick up the phone to your MP and DEMAND IT.
    I signed a petition for it but if there was something else ACTIVE that *I* can do let me know. (And I don't want any comments like ...get £10 million quid)
    So the problem - is it that theres no berth? Can someone give me the contact details of whomever is the current preservation group?
    Thanks,
    Alan

15. stan the man

stan the man Member

If you can stop her being scrapped I wish you all the very best of luck, but by all accounts time has run out for this lovley old ship.

As for phone calls and letters been there done that....

Please keep us updated if you know anything or can do anything.

Thanks

Stan

16. Austerity

Austerity Member

Loco Fitter
    Quite so-vive le Remembrance Line!

17. Austerity

Austerity Member

Loco Fitter
    Well phone me then and I'll give you the lowdown-if you're serious!

18. Guest

Occasional
    Dear positive - The public sector is not up for it - so it is no use bellyaching to your MP - all you will get is a lecture on public sector deficits

The private sector can't see a return - so unless you have that lottery ticket from Friday night we are all whistling in the dark. There is a marine Jeremy Hoskins and he took a look at the Queen Mary, and walked away when Glasgow City Council wouldn't partner him - so I don't think we will get him to Wearside - more's the pity - as a Hebridean Princess II would suit her down to the ground

19. Positive_Rate

Positive_Rate New Member

Hi Tbird,
    Ok; I'm a realist with a vein of nostalgia and no-one interested in Manxman would be without that I would imagine (however small that vein would be!). When you see certain ships that have been saved Queen M, SS United States, and some fabulous examples of exactly how to do it - look at this
    http://www.mvcillairne.com/history.html
    http://www.opderotterdam.nl/English/index.aspx
    Whilst her steam days are over (? I'm not an Engineer, and have never seen the Manxmans E/R) it just occurs to me that there has got to be potential in something as beautiful as that - if you can plonk it in the right place.
    Now, didn't someone here say a business plan had been worked out and a seperate sustainability plan too???
    Excuse me if my salvos earlier on were a tad warm - but just lying down in front of the steam roller - it's not me!
    Do you not really think, that there has got to be a combination out there of investor/berth owner and a large handful of volunteer labour that could get it business-shape?
    In both the examples above modifications were made - and THAT is what would keep this beauty afloat. I spent several years training on Cill Airne and was a bit taken aback when I saw the name on the bow had been replaced by one a bit larger as well as the bar aft of the funnel - but - I can tell you first hand, she looks better NOW than she EVER did when I was on her and most likely I would say, never looked better in her whole life. (Go see it and have a few pints!!!)
    Now surely the people involved in the Cill Airne KNOW what they're on about and could be invited to give constructive comment on the Manxman.
    ...And please - don't anyone bother telling me 'but the Manxmans not the QM, SS U, Rotterdam or Cill Airne so you can't draw comparisons' - cobblers.
    It's got to be viable, everyone will agree - and apparently it is - so can't Pallion be persuaded to just leave it be.
    Isn't there a wealthy intelligent person behind Pallion? They've got to have contacts in the ports or in business?!
    Alan

20. stan the man

stan the man Member

Fair play to Pallion, they have held back on scrapping for many a year. Judging by the accounts I have heard Manxman has deteorated significantly in the past couple of years and she is now in a bad way

We all know how special Manxman is but the funding or berth is simply not there (Peel Holdings really killed the last attempt). Unless things change pretty quickly it will sadly be game over for this wonderful old ship.

Stan