If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Manxman

Discussion in 'Everything Else Heritage' started by Guest, Jan 18, 2009.

1. GHWood

GHWood Member

Great (but sad!) pictures of Manxman inside the dry dock at Pallion - thanks for the info, Frank!

2. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
  3. stan the man

stan the man Member

If Manxman is broken it will be absolutely tragic.

Lets hope something is done to save her although I wouldnt rely on our present c--p goverment to do anything.

It amazes me how Manxman has survived for so, to loose her now would be liek loosing a race a step before the finishing line. Perhaps when she is gone we might just wake up and realise what we had. Such a shame that no one seems to give a toss about our maritime heritage.

This news has certainley spoilt my easter.

Jim S

4. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Sure...........but not for the Manxman. She's been in 'limbo' for so long - its so very very sad.

5. GHWood

GHWood Member

Very sad news, indeed - so near to saving her, yet so far....

6. GHWood

GHWood Member

Anyone heard anything else? Has breaking started?

7. roger9112

roger9112 New Member

I saw Manxman about 5 years ago and was amazed that Pallion were managing to stay in business - apart from a repair to a canal narrow boat, there wasn't anything going on. I presume that they didn't actually want to scrap Manxman, or they would have done it long ago.

With historic houses, we are often happy for an individual to buy them and preserve them, even if they are then not open to the public - it's better them them being knocked down. I don't know why Pallion didn't put it on Ebay. It's not quite as big as the Royal Yacht Britannia but it would still have made a very impressive yacht. Yes, I know it needed a lot of money spending on it - but there are plenty of billionaires out there with money to lavish on pet projects. I suspect that most of the people who might be tempted had simply never heard of her.

8. Guest

Occasional
    Pallion and the Manxman are both owned by the same individual - apparentlya greek shipping magnate

9. ovbulleid

ovbulleid Member

i sit behind my computer clicking on 'view active
    Because the only kudos around superyachts is having one built exactly to your specifications. I saw a superyacht last year being built on which the owner was adamant he wanted a plunge pool filled with water kept at a constant 50 degrees C, 24/7 whenever he was on board. The engineers were having kittens about designing it so the went to some doctors to seek medical advice, who responded by saying that the plunge pool would quite litterally cook the owner. Only after hearing medical advice did the owner lower the temperature to below 40. The days of the Christina O (the Onassis yacht, formerly a flower class corvette) are over, owners want something to their taste that they can justify chartering for £100,000+ per week, and a former isle of man ferry doesn't have the same ring to it as 'custom built'.

10. stan the man

stan the man Member

So does anyone know the latest?

I do beleive there was a group who last month looked at putting a rescue package together but things seem to have gone rather quiet.

I rather fear that the end is nigh.

Jim S

11. Tyne Turbine

Tyne Turbine New Member

I went over the Queen Alexandra Bridge this afternoon and the doors of the shed were firmly closed as per usual.

12. GHWood

GHWood Member

Just spoken to someone who has a contact at Pallion. Apparently they are currently removing the asbestos. Once that is done, they start cutting and she will probably be no more by the end of the summer.... :(

13. stan the man

stan the man Member

How very sad, in fact tragic.

She has lasted this long only to meet the same fate as all her sisters.

I really had hopes for Manxman.

Rest in peace old girl.

Jim S

14. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

I find it very strange that historic shipping is now concidered as not restorable due to the size of the funds needed , and yet if it runs on rails, and just a boiler on wheels, its do -able.
    I have very good memories of holidays at shanklin in my youth, and the boat crossing from portsmouth to ryde was part of it, far better than being cooped up in a catermeran where you cant stand outside .

but if we cant save anything thats still restorable, what will happen when such as the waverly needs money spending on it, do we as a movement sit and watch the number of sea going heritige vessels reduce one by one? till there is nothing?

15. Guest

Occasional
    In a word - yes

The museum world just cannot contemplate or handle ships

Ships either sail - or rot, so the only answer is get them out of the water.

The tragedy is that Manxman is "out of the water" and we are still losing her.

CPO Pallion anyone?

16. stan the man

stan the man Member

Well its about time something was done to save these old vessels. Enoughs enough and too many historic ships have been recently lost, do we really have to wait until there is nothing?

If we loose Manxman (lets face it we will) it would be a national disgrace and some asses need kicking.

This subject really p--ses me off!

17. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

I think that anyone thinking of taking a trip on any heritage type vessel had better do it sooner rather than later, because going by the feeling that exsists here, you wont be able to do it once these boats need extensive repair, and how long before we see someone lamenting the passing of these vessels, one thing it must be a good time to be in scrap breaking, with all these boats being broken up , and why, because no one cared enough to save them couldnt the lottery help in say the maxman , or if another vessel comes up for disposal? if we, as a country cant save them all, we should at least find which is the best and most feisable and go all out to save that before it gets beyond it?

18. arizonagcs

arizonagcs New Member Account Suspended

We need a 'sugar daddy' in the ship preservation world. Museums for years have not liked real ships, as we know, but when there was a buget I am afraid Liverpool Maritime museum built a whole floor and more into the Slave Trade. While this is important subject it is a social history and should be in that kind of museum.
    Fans of the QE2 would love to see her back in this country but if we cann't look after our 'Mini Cunarder' the chances of a larger ship is nil.

19. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
  20. paullad1984

paullad1984 Member

Every time i see photos of this beautiful ship, i want to weep at the state shes in.