If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Manxman

Discussion in 'Everything Else Heritage' started by Guest, Jan 18, 2009.

1. Thompson1706

Thompson1706 Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    What is this ''crack' that has appeared in the ship's side ? . If the ship is properly supported on blocks according to her dry-docking plan this shouldn't happen.

As far as the 'fish & chip boat' is concerned she stills sits rusting on the Thames with her delusional owner still thinking that she will sail again. Her only future is either being plinthed on Merseyside or as razor blades.

Bob.

2. Dan Cross

Dan Cross New Member

Dad, Husband then Tug Skipper & DAPS Chairman
    There were some pics doing the rounds, cant remember if sent to me personally or on a forum. Said crack was wide enough to get you hand through at the top approaching deck level.

3. stan the man

stan the man Member

I just dont want to see her go no matter how bad she may or may not be.

I agree with your comments re smaller vessels but its so sad to think that we will shortly loose the last of the IOMSC turbine steamers. Loosing the Lincoln Castle was bad enough but once Manxman goes there are no more like her.

Do have have any pictures of the "crack" you can post? I would be interested to see.

I guess at the end of the day there are simply not enough ship lovers in the UK and many of those would rather remember the "old days" than think of tomorrow.

Stan

4. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Stan , it's nothing to do with ship lovers it's ££££ . a loco restoration may cost you £500,000 to restore over 10-20 years , but it can be done . Manxman and these old ships , £5,000,000, £10,000,000 and rising and needs to be raised and spent in a lot less time

add in all the issues of maritime regulations , and could you sail on any of these vessels ,

Unless you've win the lottery I just can't see any chance for any of these Ships

5. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

Unfortunatly Martin has it right, any scheme to save any historic passinger ferry will swallow up massive ammounts of funds , Funds that just are not there you can say "what about Tornado , Duke of Gloucester etc" previous project impossibles, its entirely different, the ammount of money needed to put any ferry back into service will dwaff any previous restoration appeal.

for the ammount of money needed, you could rebuild the GWR embankment, rebuild the missing link on the GCR restore several engines and rebuild rakes or coaches , austerity could build his 5 R1 tanks and buy the folkestone harbour branch outright and then make a bid for the Lydd branch to join up with the RHDR

6. Platelayer

Platelayer Member

She was sold out of service to Preston Docks where she served as a nightclub.

Known locally as the 'loveboat', you had to have two heads not to pull on there.

7. osprey

osprey Resident of Nat Pres

semi-retired, currently doing R&D for my patents
    Really..................?

8. Platelayer

Platelayer Member

Really!

9. richards

richards Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
  10. brblue

brblue New Member

Not sure about any cracks in her hull but when I walked the bottom of the dry dock there were many holes gas axed in her hull to stop her floating off the blocks when the dock is flooded, grim to say the least.
    brblue

11. stan the man

stan the man Member

Grim maybe, but Im sorry, in my eyes she is too important to be cut up.

She will never sail again let alone steam but Im sure she is worthy of static preservation or existance somewhere at least until such time comes when something could be done with her.

We cant just keep letting vessels such as this be taken from us.

This is history we are talking about..... British history and something we should be proud of, I want to my kids and their kids to see these old ships not just read about them and see pictures of them.
    We owe it to future genrations.

Stan

12. CALEDONIA

CALEDONIA New Member

Retired
    I totally agree with you Stan, the Manxman is unique and when very sadly she is departed we will never see the like of her again, the truth hurts in this case but many chances have been missed to preserve her since 1982, and now to be totally honest and realistic she is probably too far gone to be saved. The maritime heritage in this country really is a disgrace, when you consider that Britain did "once rule the waves" our capibility in saving ships is pathetic and shows no sign of improvement, look at the Lincoln Castle disgrace last year, it very sadly looks like the Manxman next.

13. stan the man

stan the man Member

How very true and how very sad.

Stan

14. Dan Cross

Dan Cross New Member

I just discovered where the photo's are i have seen of the crack in her hull.
    If you are a member of the Manxman yahoo group, they are in a gallery on there.
    Thought I had dreamt it!

15. GHWood

GHWood Member

16. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    Those look like thinning and rusting through - not stress cracks - as the fins immediately below show no such symptoms. Similarly the "sinking" above the keel blocks looks like load failure typical of wasted metal areas losing their load bearing capacity. Its damned serious - but if we were a serious and concerned nation so far as preserving our ultimate maritime heritage goes, she is in just the right place for this to be addressed. - but we aren't - more's the pity! Do you think we could get a couple of footballers to give up a couple of weeks wages to pay for it? That's the reality of our priorities - listen to Radio Five anyday.

A thorough going replating could save her - but - we are talking bacon squadrons as far as the possibility of that happening goes.

When she goes, a whole generation of our maritime history goes with her - a real and permanent tragedy.

17. stan the man

stan the man Member

Absolutely right Frank, I am agree with you 100%.

By all accounts she will be going pretty soon and as you so very rightly say along with a whole generation of our maritime history - a real permanent tragedy.

At the moment she is still there and Palllion will talk...

Stan

18. Dan Cross

Dan Cross New Member

On the Maritime Matters website and brought to my attention via
    http://www.steamships.org.uk/preservation/forumdisplay.php?fid=63

The following was reported:
    neil hodgson says:
    April 15, 2011 at 7:16 am

Hi everyone I have just spoken to paillion were the manxman is and it is now
    being scrapped what a shame.

Is this now the final throw of the dice? Seems that the old girl is suffering a
    long and undignified death.

Dan

19. Austerity

Austerity Member

Loco Fitter
    She had everything going for her at one stage about 4 years ago-that is the most sickening thing about all this.

20. GHWood

GHWood Member

This message has appeared via the Irish Sea Shipping yahoo forum:

Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 12:31:07 +0000
    Subject: [IrishSeaShips] Manxman

With the asbestos removed the long awaited dismantling of the ex Isle of Man Steam Packet Company steamer Manxman will shortly begin. Pallion Engineering has now created a web site to deal with requests for the purchase of the memorabilia which shortly will become available. In due course they will be listing the items as they become available. The Pallion website is called www.ssmanxman.co.uk. This should not be confused with past or present websites of the Manxman Steamship Company Limited itself.

For the archives of the Manxman Steamship Company and for latest news on the ship and the winding down of the Manxman Project go to the Manxman Steamship Company Yahoo Group. Membership is free and unrestricted.

Adrian Sweeney, Manxman Steamship Company.