If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Manston running???

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by pete12000, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Ann Clark

Ann Clark Member

Having checked in a book they were classified as with a power rating of 4F.

2. Hunslets Finest

Hunslets Finest Well-Known Member

Hunslet 'Austerity' 18in 0-6-0STs are not the 50550 class! The 50550 was the forerunner which was developed with other Hunslet 18'' designs into the WD Austerity. As by at least 1946 Hunslet were calling them Austerities I am sure anyone else can!

Which one is going to Swanage? Whichever it will certainly will be able to easily cope with five on there and probably be better than the M7 which seemed to be making very hard work of it today - even the staff at Corfe commented!

If you want to see and hear Austerities working hard ( and not much sounds better!) get to the Foxfield gala or a Tanfield coal train day. You won't be disappointed!

Cheers,

3. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Thanks, I stand corrected! - (what were the differences between the 50550 and the 'Austerity' by the way?)

Edit - found it - http://www.irsociety.co.uk/Archives/23/ ... nslets.htm

4. Hunslets Finest

As per same article which is one of the best ever written on the Austerities. Although the changes are small I have never heard anyone refer to Austerities as the 50550 class - that is saved for the S&L engines. In fact the Austerity used the best of Hunslet's 'standard' 18 inch designs including the 48150 class as per Jessie at Llangollen. Sorry for detailed answer but they are my favourite steam engines - masters on the continent, coalfields and in preservation (and if others could find them in their ABCs I am sure they would be better respected!)

5. Nigel Clark

Nigel Clark Member Loco Owner

Network Rail Signalman
    The engine coming to Swanage is not a Hunslet, it's Robert Stephenson works no. 7086/43, a proper ex WD engine of 1943 vintage.

With regard the M7, she is perfectly capable of 5 bogies and more but I wasn't there yesterday so can't say what the problem may have been. She can be a little witch sometimes though and catches crews out, but you have to forgive the old girl ! The 'Austerity' may be a challenge for some crews too :-k
    We have had Austerities before and they have proved very capable, I'm looking forward to it \:D/

6. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    If we're allowed to remain off topic and discuss some proper locos, the Hunlset 18" saddletank in their range of standard locos was the 48150 class. The 50550 derivatives were built specially for the ill-fated Islip project and had full length saddletanks unlike the other Hunslet 'standard' saddletanks of 12"-18" sizes. Besides the sloping bunker and cab profile mentioned, the most noticeable difference between an Austerity and a 50550 was the deep bufferbeam. Smashing machines, all of them!

7. Forevagrey

Forevagrey New Member

well they shouldnt have that much trouble as there the same rating as 78 and 104

8. 34007

34007 Part of the furniture

Another good way is to open the Steam heat valve!! Has worked for me...

9. buzby2

buzby2 Well-Known Member

Hmmm..
    Well, apart from Austerites being designed mainly as yard shunters as I understand it [with occasional trip workings thrown in] they have much smaller firebox, much smaller boiler, much lower boiler pressure, much smaller wheels [causing much of the 'high' power output figure], smaller bearing surfaces, much reduced coal/water capacity for our 25 mph passenger duties .......
    Yes, there's not a lot of difference between a Standard Tank and an 'Austerity' on five and a half miles of railway with gradients of 1 in 80 (1 1/4 miles); 1 in 78 (1 mile-ish) and 1 in 76 ( almost 1 1/2 miles) with loadings grossing 220 to 240 Tons in the peak months :-k
    Over the years I fired on each Austerity that's visited Swanage. They are competent engines and most, in good nick, can deal with 5 coach trains - I had the "kettle rash" to prove it - but they're not designed for these duties day in, day out and would need mega maintenance [in my opinion] to keep running properly over, say, an 80 day season per loco.
    "Norman" will prove an able loco, I'm sure, and it should prove a pleasure outside peak season but give me a Standard 4 for the 'rough and tumble' during the peak Summer rush.

10. Forevagrey

Forevagrey New Member

hmmm i see what you mean Pete but atleast it will be something different and i agree the standard tanks are great for everyday use also do the austerity's have steam brake because i heard they didnt have vac brake :-k

11. Lewisb06

Lewisb06 Member

Work for Big railway
    Totally agree..

Its good to have variety
    Having two Bulleids does get rather boring after a while....

Give me 1708 anyday..

Am sure she will have a vac brake......has to stop the coaches somehow......

12. portline

portline Member

Just to let everyone know that 80078 and 30053 will be in traffic this weekend.
    80078 is on driver ex duties and 30053 is on normal passenger service. There is a possibility that 30053 will be swapped for 34070 on sunday but this is dependent on weather 34070 passes it steam test after washout tomorrow afternoon.

13. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    No I do not currently volunteer
  14. nickt

nickt Member

Re: Manston running?

Very good photos considering the lousy weather that day.

15. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Thanks. I'm sure how I managed to take so many photos that day, it was hard work trying to get anything vaguely interesting that wasn't just the front of the loco emerging from the fog that persisted all day.

16. Hunslets Finest

Don't tell the NCB that! They worked many lines (Mountain Ash, Walkden, Backworth, Wemyss (ok not NCB), Maesteg, Craig Merythr among many) on a par in length with Swanage and far more challenging and with far heavier loads. They were so good the NCB made them their standard loco until BR messed it all up by over ordering too many diesels!

Latest Industrial Record (196) has some good info on capabilities when modified by NCB with Giesels etc. Fascinating reading.

17. Forevagrey

Forevagrey New Member

yeah but origanly they didnt

sounds nice i will be down on sunday was looking forward to cleaning the m7

18. portline

portline Member

34070 Passed its steam test this afternoon so replaces 30053 on the service train tomorrow. 80078 continues in use tomorrow on the Driver EX, it will be hauling one Queen Mary brake van around.

19. buzby2

buzby2 Well-Known Member

Nigel - great pictures despite the inclement weather.

It was my understanding that 'Austerities' were designed MAINLY as yard shunters with occasional trip workings in mind.
    That they managed to cope with the NCB work is of great credit to the NCB's crews and maintenance staff.

20. buzby2

buzby2 Well-Known Member

Various comments have been made and questions asked as to whether there will be any double heading of Manston with Tangmere during it's brief sojourn in Swanage this Bank Holiday weekend.
    A lot depends upon the Tangmere support crew getting the time to do all their necessary works after arrival on Saturday, Sunday's "LE excursion" to Eastleigh to turn, and Monday's departure in mid afternoon.
    If anything can be arranged in this somewhat tight schedule then - hopefully- we'll get something put on our Home Page so keep looking !!
    In the meantime we've had to amend our scheduled timetable for Saturday and Bank Holiday Monday to accommodate the two railtours and associated ECS workings. Details on
    http://www.swanagerailway.co.uk/tangmere.htm
    please be aware that these altered timings could change if the railtours' arrivals are different from Network Rail's timings.
    Pray for fine weather [-o<