If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Manning Wardles "YEO" and "EXE" new-build

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by Old Kent Biker, Aug 15, 2018.

1. Flying Phil

Flying Phil Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Thanks for the link Chris. It is reassuring to see that provision is being made for additional motive power after Exe and Yeo. I'm sure that updates will be more frequent as we move out of lock down......which will be good.

2. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

When Lyn was built, the valves were changed to piston type to increase efficiency/power. It would appear that a similar modification is not planned for the Manning Wardles, can anyone comment on why this might be?
    I seem to recall a website or forum posting detailing quite a number of operational issues with Lyd, such as ashpan access and oiling of motion/axleboxes. Have these items been looked into and suitable modifications made to the design for the replica?
    Will the M-W locos have roller bearings like Lyn?
    Thanks in advance for any info

3. Flying Phil

There is another Exe and Yeo thread on P3 of this section.....perhaps the mods might combine them now?

4. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Make life easy for them - “report” this thread and make sure you include the link to the other thread to save looking. Just adding a post here won’t necessarily be seen.

Tom

ross, Pete Thornhill and ghost like this.
  5. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

Yes it does, it’s because of the report that I am on the thread now, I hadn’t realised there were two threads so possibly wouldn’t of noticed the post in the thread.

6. Pete Thornhill

Now merged into one thread.

Jamessquared and 30854 like this.
  7. Flying Phil

Thanks for such a prompt response Pete.

H Cloutt and Pete Thornhill like this.
  8. Pete Thornhill

You are welcome, certainly made sense to combine the two threads. Thank you for the suggestion.

9. Axe +1

Axe +1 New Member

Retired {Electronics Engineer}
    I have been informed this evening that the new build Manning Wardle 'EXE' and 'YEO' locomotives will NOT have roller bearings fitted. Both new L&BR Manning Wardle engines in this respect will be identical to the arrangement fitted on the Ffestiniog Railway's 'LYD'.

H Cloutt likes this.
  10. ghost

Thanks for the update, do you know if there is a particular reason why the M-Ws are not being updated?

11. Thomas Woods

Thomas Woods New Member

Makes sense to use the drawings/castings that already exist for Lyd, not only can you use them pretty much "out the box" but the design has been proven to work bar a few necessary changes. Also helps to reduce costs and the overall timescale. It would be nice to incorporate some of the modern features such as roller bearings but I can't see them being all that necessary tbh.

H Cloutt and sitimela43 like this.
  12. meeee

meeee Member

I imagine someone has taken the view that it isn't cost effective or necessary. The valve gear on Lyd has been very reliable and suffered little wear over 10 years. Would an expensive re-design be fixing a problem that doesn't exist? The valve gear has some very tight clearances would it just introduce new problems trying to fit roller bearings into it?

There are some more pressing issues such as the superheaters and ashpan that are being attended to at the current overhaul. I expect that the new engines will continue to benefit from the experience of running Lyd.

Tim

ross, green five, H Cloutt and 3 others like this.
  13. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

What problem does fitting roller bearings solve?

People sometimes talk about such features as an unalloyed benefit - but plain bearings work, and changing them requires substantial redesign. So there has to be a significant benefit to doing so, even ignoring the questions of to what extent you are building a replica as opposed to a looky-likey.

Tom

14. meeee

meeee Member

Indeed it's always a compromise. It is much easier to design a loco with roller bearings in mind than it is to retrofit them.

Most of the FR locos have standard sized Oilite bushes and hardened pins in the valve gear. When it comes to overhaul you just push the old bush out and press a new one in. They are grease lubricated too. A good solution to the same kind of problem.

Tim

ross, H Cloutt and ghost like this.
  15. ghost

I'm not really bothered about the roller bearings side of things, as James says, it's solving a problem that doesn't really need to be solved and as Tim says, could create more problems with the valve gear and modifications to the rest of the loco. It was the valves that I was primarily thinking of regarding updates (and yes I know it is a massive amount of work to redesign).

I am more curious as to why Lyn was built as an updated 'looky-likey' but the M-W's are being built much more to the original design. No criticism of the project is intended at all, just genuinely curious as to why one loco was built with updates and the others won't be.

ross, MellishR and H Cloutt like this.
  16. meeee

meeee Member

The cylinders on Lyd are updated with balanced slide valves. They work well now the lubrication issues have been fixed. I believe piston valves were discounted as they would change the appearance of the engine too much. Lyn has huge valve chests which makes it easier to hide these things.

It's worth noting that Lyd is quite different to the original design in the details. A lot of thought went into things like materials. Some bits have worked out better than others. Where they haven't such as the ashpan and superheaters, they are being changed at the current overhaul. Having a working prototype will no doubt be of great benefit to this project.

Tim

30854, Snail368, H Cloutt and 3 others like this.
  17. Bill2

Bill2 New Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    I believe the replica Lyn has greater boiler pressure than the original and high degree superheat with the aim of improving efficiency and performance. Experience suggests that there would be problems lubricating slide valves so it was probably essential to use piston valves.

H Cloutt likes this.
  18. Dunfanaghy Road

Dunfanaghy Road Well-Known Member

Retired
    It may be that, in the future, G***a Th*****g and her pals will come after us for the amount of oil that we splash around. (When they have finished with coal.) Anything that reduces that has to be a good thing, financially as well as in PR terms.
    Pat

ross and H Cloutt like this.
  19. meeee

meeee Member

I think she might be a bit busy trying to influence geopolitics for the benefit of all humanity. The minutiae of lubrication on a 1 mile long Devon tourist attraction is probably quite far down her agenda.

Tim

20. H Cloutt

H Cloutt Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    Hopefully it will be longer than 1 mile before the new engines are available.

ross and Snail368 like this.