If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Manchester United - the locomotive - to be rebuilt in new £1.8-million scheme

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Robin Jones, Jan 26, 2012.

1. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

All you need is an Asian millionaire Manchester United Fan to impress... and there's quite a few of them.... now if you found one in China or Hong Kong... they may even buy 5 of them and have them made locally.

You could even do it surreptitiously.. buy 4979.. decorate it as Manchester United.. take it to Old Trafford, have fireworks from the chimney and declare it only needs £1.8mn to make it work again... I bet you some would buy into it and would never know the difference when the real thing was built... You could then take 4979 to Chelsea, Man City etc etc..

2. jimmyvonk

jimmyvonk New Member

Pencil shortner in an office.
    They should set up a "£1 to bid" comp like the "chose the colour" one recently - choices are Man Utd, Arsnil, Leeds Utd etc - first to £1.8mil gets built... if it went to plan you could end up with enough cash to build a fleet!!! LOL!

They need to play on fan rivalry not support! Maybe suggest that the other one being built is going to be called Chelsea or Liverpool, watch the cash roll in to ensure Man Utd remains top of the (turn) table.

3. As a lifelong Red Devils fan (and yes kids, I remember only too well when Liverpool won everything and seemed unbeatable), I certainly won't be.

My money goes to existing projects which restore the unique and irreplaceable, not the plethora of post-Tornado "me too, me too" new-builds. Daft project, hopefully soon to sink without trace...

We already have a family of skint Yanks, thanks. That's all we can cope with just now...

4. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    It might only need a small proportion of United fans if this were to go viral - £1.8m is not a lot in their world. Once you have a B17 and a ball you can hang any nameplate you like on it for pictures

5. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Agreed, if you asked the players to donate their cars and leave them behind after a match you'd have enough money to build it.
    I wouldn't bother tapping up the local fan base, or the regular fan base...

instead I'd be taking a presentation pack around the corporate box and consider a hiring a coach on a VSOE steam excursion to give a demonstration to those interested.

6. m0rris

m0rris New Member

If they'd gone with the men in pale blue they could have just popped the question to Mario Balotelli who I'm sure would have handed over a fair wedge!

I think the basic ideas behind this has legs... and should the patterns be there there's nothing to stop another B17 be produced should some wealthy backers from another club decide they want one. There's so many Man U fans out there that there should be enough interest amongst a small minority to help drive the project on. In terms of new builds this one has a very interesting USP.

7. TonyMay

TonyMay Member

to be based where? East Lancs would seem to be the most logical place, and they're not exactly overrun with decent traction

8. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

Who would name it, now if the plan was to build a footballer and name it "Sir Alex Ferguson" or "Sir Matt Busby" i think that would be far more fitting

9. Thompson1706

Thompson1706 Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Sir Matt BuSby - that famous ex-Liverpool player who also managed the Red s***e at some stage.

Bob.

10. TonyMay

TonyMay Member

cos they name it after the club and the club is always bigger than the player/manager...

11. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

Would the Glaziers try to claim it and then sell it to raise money for their next take over

12. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    So there were no takers for Accrington Stanley, then? I remember I used to 'support' Manchester United in the days when fellow schoolmates used to ask 'what team do you support?', and gave those who answered anything other than Manchester United a thumping. I've never really been interested in football, but I do keep track of Accrington's progress from time to time, as lower-league football seems more interesting than the staid, over-paid dross of the Premier League, where the usual suspects always ended up in the top three (although I believe things have changed a bit of late). So you could say I'm a closet Accrington supporter, and I have the shirt to prove it (but don't ask me how they are doing at the moment!).

13. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

14. steamdream

steamdream Member

Teacher
    Interesting! I'm a domino player :would it be possible to find a club of dominos for sponsoring of a modern wheelbarrow-silent block and radial ball bearings-??? (colour scheme: black and white with a small rose in the middle):behindsofa:
    squeaks regards
    noel

15. Tim Hall

Tim Hall Member

Er, won't it need to be repainted if it clashes with any other red engines on trips away from it's base? You know, perhaps white with black frames or all yellow.
    If there'd been a "Coventry City", would it have ever got painted burnt umber for such visits?

16. S.A.C. Martin

S.A.C. Martin Part of the furniture

Asset Engineer (Signalling), MNLPS Treasurer
    Regarding the supposed "split" - seems quite amicable when you read the Heritage Railway article:

They seem to have a unique selling point which may net them far more money than I think is being given credit for. The locomotive, if it is made to mainline standards, has the potential to be MUFC's own "engine" and the idea of football specials down into London for Wembley finals and the like, is not beyond the realms of fantasy if it is built.

I think we may yet see movement on this one, and quickly, because they have that all important thing down straight away - PR and getting it out to the widest audience possible.

17. dampflok

dampflok Member

Nurse,Qualified Ward Manager now retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I think the only B17 were going to see is the Flying Fortress at air shows.

18. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Perhaps all the money that Tevez? has not earned whilst sulking back at home could be put to good use...There, finance solved in a stroke. Sorry realised I put earned, no footballer earns that sort of obscene money, although mugs may well pay them that sort of wages.

19. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

So a new B17 , a class renowned for becoming a bit rough as the season wore on , and relegated to secondary duties when something better came on ! Not very Man United is it !

20. TonyMay

TonyMay Member

of course Man U is a railway club, albeit L&YR not GER