If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Mainline loco of the decade!

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by belle1, Dec 27, 2009.

?

Which is your mainline loco of the decade?

1. 45407

16.0%
  2. 6201

3.7%
  3. 76079

12.8%
  4. 6233

13.8%
  5. 5029

2.1%
  6. 34067

30.9%
  7. 6024

11.2%
  8. 35028

10.1%
  9. 4771

5.9%
  10. 60009

8.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. belle1

belle1 Part of the furniture Moderator

Well we are near the end of the first decade of the 21st century with steam still on the mainline and even taking commuters home this last week due to the weather conditions we have seen recently!

I have just started this thread for a bit of fun so that people can nominate their favourite mainline registered loco of the last decade, whether it be the ever reliable 45407 or 76079, Tangmere, Clan Line, Duchess 6233 for it's stunning performances over Shap or even new build Tornado now in its second year on the mainline.

When we have a few nominations I will set up a poll to run for a few days into 2010.

Thanks, Neil.

2. Victor

Victor Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Retired
    45407. Fine machine.

3. nickt

nickt Member

It's got to be Tornado; not because of its performance, or the dedication of the team that built it, but because it's put main-line steam into the public eye as never before. If you mention steam to people you meet they will say "Tornado". (Actually, they generally say "the Tornado", but that's close enough!)

Season's greetings.

4. Spamcan55

Spamcan55 New Member

Ex-Spamcan 55
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Its difficult to be the Loco of the Decade when you've only been around for a year!

Clan Line gets my vote, always there, quietly (usually!) going about its business hauling the heaviest regular UK passenger train (after only the Eurostars).
    Don't forget the Eastleigh Centenarian - Waterloo to Worting Junction quicker than the ACE timings of old.
    If there is a category in the poll for 'Cleanest Engine of the Decade' 35028 would win hands down!

5. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Tornado's decade will be the next one, it still has 9 years on the boiler ticket remember....

I know it's mileage is relatively low but Rood Ashton Hall has almost been a permenant fixture since 1998.

6. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Not that I am in any way biased but Tornado blotted her copybook with the first run over the S&C, so there must be a question mark there. Whilst Tangmere and Clan Line may have performed admirably in their respective roles in the South East and various GW locos also, there can only be two consistant performers, Princes Elizabeth and Duchess of Sutherland.

7. David-Haggar

David-Haggar Member

Water Meter Reader
    I agree about Tornado, it's decade will be the next one. As for this one I'd love to say 70013 just for the superb journey the wife and I had behind her on the Scarborough Spa Express back in September, but as a Bulleid fan I must nominate Tangmere for it's constant reliable performances.

8. 34014

34014 Member

Retired
    Not enough praise for Tangmere here. Look at the miles she has put in over all area's of Network Rail whenever and wherever needed. Tornado hasn't been around long enough for a 'decade' accolade and, Loco's like 6201 and 6233 are not used often or widely enough to take the crown. 45407 or 76079 could be the only other serious contenders in my opinion.

9. Robert Heath No.6

Robert Heath No.6 Well-Known Member

5029, 48151 and 70013, in no particular order, just for some of the most entertaining performances around! :D

10. Matt35027

Matt35027 Well-Known Member

Builder
    34067 definitely, she's run almost every week out of London, ran over 1000 miles during the GB2 covering for 2 failed locos and scarcely missed a beat, as well as some great performances, Bimcombe Bank solo with 11 on, Folkestone Harbour Branch....

11. david1984

Not that i want to take anything away from 34067, she is always going to get a disproportionatly high amount of work compared to other loco's due to it being "gauging friendly" so im not entirely certain mileage statistics are the be all n end all.

12. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

To be "Loco of the Decade" an engine doesn't necessarily have to have been around for the whole of the decade, the accolade should surely go to the engine that has made the biggest impact of the decade, and on that basis Tornado is surely the winner. It has run all around the country, without a fixed base, has run flawlessly "straight from the box" and has raised the profile of main line steam immeasurably, drawing huge crowds wherever it goes. Nothing else compares, and although the phenomenon is only a year old it shows no signs of abating.

13. david1984

On that basis then the winner for this (and indeed every decade the bloody things been in existence) would be 4472 Flying Dustbin, even though it hasn't turned a wheel in 3 years.

Tornado may have made a huge impact to date, but i still think its' "moment" is yet to come, perhaps flying through Donny at 90 in a few years time ?.

14. StoneRoad

StoneRoad Member

Restoration of heritage items, mainly in timber.
    Mainline Loco

Apart from Tornado, and the others already mentioned, I would nominate "Sir Nigel Gresley" as she puts out some sterling work on tours.

15. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    Oh this is hard.
    (top 5 in order)
    1. 60163 Tornado. What Tornado and the A1 Trust have done for Steam and Preservation overall has been amazing. Great performances on the main line including last Monday when Tornado was almost the only thing running in Kent during the snow and London to Edinburgh in 8 hours, hauling the Royal Train plus many others as well as constant press attention. Not bad for a brand new steam locomotive which only started running in January on the Mainline.

2. 6233 Duchess of Sutherland. Since she returned in 2001 she has been a stunning loco, hauling the Royal Train twice and once hauling the Queen herself. A very reliable runner as well and her Shap performances have been phernominal.

3. 35028 Clan Line. Although the VSOE contract gets in the way the MNLPS have done a marvelous job in the last overhaul as I think only failed once since and also have her looking clean and shining all the time.

4. 34067 Tangmere. Another reliable locomotive and on the Great Britain II ran 3 days worth of steam. Having been behind her on the Devon Banks she can just flatten even the steepest climbs.

5. 70013 Oliver Cromwell. Another reliable locomotive and having seen Cromwell fly through Haywards Heath was amazing.

This is very difficult as so many locomotives have amazing.45407,76079,60019 Bittern,6201 Princess Elizabeth and alot more.

16. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

scotsman, yeah for all the wrong reasons but there are so many locos, worthy of the acalade ,
    70013, back on the mainline, who would have foreseen that 10 years ago?
    Tornado, a brand new engine built from scratch, again unthinkable
    Tangmere for being the best thunderbird loco you can get can go anywhere, haul anything

the true accolade should go to the people who turn these engines out day by day, week after week keeping them fit to give all of us the pleasure we get from them , the tour operators who put the tours together, and to network rail for still allowing steam to run over its metals dispite it being now40 years since steam died on BR as it was then

17. YorkyLad

YorkyLad New Member

62005 - consistent high performance up at Fort William.

18. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    To me, there's only two locomotives in it. 34067 for storming up the Folkestone Harbour Branch, popping up all over the the country, and just being there when all else fails. She's a credit to all involved, and should be in for a few more years of action. You never know, we may see her in West Wales one day!

The second locomotive has only been on the mainline circuit for just over a year, but has already made a mark as a worthy potential successor to 34067 when she finally goes for overhaul. For a fantastic run over the Devon Banks and being the second locomotive to break the hour barrier between Plymouth and Exeter, I commend 70013 to your scrutiny.

I therefore think that the past decade has been that of the 7P, with locomotives compact enough to have high route availability and enough power to haul respectable loads. Whilst I would like to have added 46233 for her outstanding run up Shap in October, it has fallen to the fact that I have ridden behind the above two enough times to produce an informed opinion.

19. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

bulleid pacific has summed it up, an engine that has the axle loading and clearance to go anywhere and that can haul reasonable loads

the train planners must breithe a huge sigh of relief when the loco requested causes them no headaches, plus i wonder, is there any drivers from the steam toc's links who would wish ,from their own experience to nominate and engine and why? i can guess what would come quite high up the list

20. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    I think that it must be remembered that the title in question is 'Mainline loco of the decade', and to qualify surely the winner must have been performing for at least half the period. Not wishing to detract from the performance of newcomers, Tornado, Scots Guardsman and Oliver Cromwell to name but three, perhaps a second category for best newcomer, say one from the past 2/3 years.