If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Machine Gunning Pros and Cons

Discussion in 'Photography' started by RalphW, Mar 8, 2010.

1. David-Haggar

David-Haggar Member

Water Meter Reader
    This was my first attempt at a pan image shortly after I'd gone over to a DSLR when then using the K10. Taken from the 7F charter at the Bluebell along Freshfield Bank. I remember asking Ian's advice on this shot on the UKRP as I was unsure whether I'd got it right but I think he said it was just about ok for a first attempt. F stop was f-32, exp time was 1/45 sec. and iso 200.
    http://david422.fotopic.net/p63659664.html

2. willig

willig Member

http://graham-williams.fotopic.net/p63658284.html

Ah, that was the point. This was an early effort of mine and in those days you got once chance. That time the bushes won!

Now the machine gun helps give a chance for a better shot.

3. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Now that most photographs have gone over to DSLR’S and with all the on board computer aids that come with a DSLR these type of photo’s are becoming a lot easier to capture. You now have auto focus and auto aperture and exposure. All the photographer now has to get correct is the shutter speed and composition. If everyone was to go back to good old slide film how many photographers would be able to get the same results?I would say very few photographers and most people would go threw a very steep learning curve to gain the same results has before. I know I would be on a big learning curve.

4. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Autofocus and auto exposure features were introduced on film cameras several years ago so there would be nothing new to learn on that front. The one real advantage on modern DSLRs is that many of them can shoot at much higher frame rates than older 35mm SLRs but even so, some of the high end ones had a fairly decent turn of speed. IMHO if you can handle a DSLR, you can handle a film SLR without a great deal of bother and this is assuming you haven't graduated from a film camera in the first place.