If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

M&GN 50 - Anniversary Gala on the NNR

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by NNR Webmaster, Oct 29, 2008.

1. 37255

37255 Guest

You mean Ring Haw's returning early? ;-)

2. NNR Webmaster

NNR Webmaster New Member

Student
    Tee hee :)

For years we were an "industrials only" railway, now we've finally got the chance to host some bigger engines.

Hopefully in a couple of years' time we will be able to include more industrials again with Ring Haw, Wissington and the Y7 all in operation. Ideal station pilots for the galas, if not hauling trains in their own right!

3. 37255

37255 Guest

Industrial gala, eh? Sounds like one to visit!

4. sootyxfd

sootyxfd Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    propper engine visiting, yeah, 78019 is going isnt it

5. pennysteam

pennysteam Well-Known Member

analyst computer programmer
    OH, Great! Isn't it down hill all the way, so only time we see her working fire box first will be out of the station.

6. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

Don't you think it would be a good idea to have a webcam showing the overview at Weybourne sheds as I can see smoke in the yard (from the present webcam) but thats It.

7. Ian Riley

Ian Riley Part of the furniture Loco Owner

Thats a damn fine idea!.......I can then monitor the locos from the office....!

8. Ben32G

Ben32G New Member

We do/did have a web cam to see the shed yard, but it now has restricted access! :-k

Shame the B1 will be going up hill backwards. I'm sure the real stars of the show will be the right way round! [-o< \:D/

9. NNR Webmaster

NNR Webmaster New Member

Student
    There is a webcam on the carriage shed but it overlooks some stored coaching stock and has nothing of interest on. In addition it is "unplugged" whenever the C&W staff need to use the power sockets in that corner of the shed so it spent more time off than on. It wasn't really a very satisfactory location so it was decided not to be used.

We looked into putting or moving the webcam to directly on the loco shed at Weybourne but it would have required regular cleaning from all the smoke and stuff that floats round the yard, especially in the mornings so it would have proved too high maintenance.

We've considered cameras in alternative places, the ground frame for example, which would hopefully be low enough to avoid muck (and be within reach if it did require cleaning) but should still give a fair view of the yard. We could probably (but not guaranteed!) get the volunteer 'labour' to do this, so it was just money that was the stumbling block. The NNR, like a lot of railways, isn't flush with money and, understandably, running the trains, overhauling the locos etc are higher priorities when it comes to spending money than webcams.

That's not to say it won't happen some day, just not anyday soon. Unless a generous webcam enthusiast is able to brandish his/her cheque book!

10. 37255

37255 Guest

If it's firebox first I think the bank is the least of anyone's worries ;-)

11. PhotoMatt

PhotoMatt Well-Known Member

IT Engineer
    Looking forward to this event. Lineside pass has arrived, so am ready. All I need is some local knowledge having never been to the line before! I think the NNR is the last of the "Major Players" I haven't visited so can't wait.

So am I right in thinking everything will face out of Sheringham except the B1?

12. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

Been on a shopping spree
    orange high viz off ebay £3.00 including P&P \:D/
    rail tickets on the bittern line

Matt, all the home fleet will not sure about the others (4f looks as if its holt first).
    I am looking forward to seeing your photos, and I'm sure you will fall in love with the line with the sea, the gradients and the wonderful stations (not forgetting the people involved).

13. Knowyoudid

Knowyoudid New Member

Has anybody got a gradient profile of the line please?. I would like to photograph from a position in which I am assured of the locomotives(s) working hard.

14. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

1 in 80 up to holt
    [​IMG]

then I think its 1 in 100 or something like that out of Sheringham.

google search finds no gradient profiles, mnr and bvr have one but not nnr

15. SteveA

SteveA Member

Retired
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    This might be of use to those that don't know the line. As you will see much of the railway is at a gradient of 1 in 80, and between Sheringham and Holt rises over 200ft.

Steve

16. SteveA

SteveA Member

Retired
    The B1 safely stabled in Weybourne shed last night after its trip from the Battlefield Line.

Steve A

17. sootyxfd

sootyxfd Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    ooopppsss mayflower got wet

18. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

I think I will be going up on the Friday to make most of the event, I have transport costs but now I need the ticket price.

just to make sure, when I arrive at sheringham ticket office and say gala rover please and hand over my member card they will say £10 please.

19. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    The website states that M&GN members may obtain a day rover for £10 so you should be fine. No other concessions available during the gala so lucky old M&GN members I say. :smt003

20. steamingyorkshire

steamingyorkshire Well-Known Member

Lecturer
    That gradient profile is superb, thank you very much. Just one week to go now i'm really looking forward too the trip now, well i'm just glad i'm not driving, haha. We'll arrive Saturday morning and be leaving Sunday afternoon and shall be around on the trackside so come say hello if your about.

Just finished reading through the gala booklet and its a superb booklet, well done to the guys involved in the production, one suggestion that came to mind from looking at the photographs was would it not be possible to draw some text with the chalk like they did before the closure trains in the photos on maybe one of the engines?