If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

M&GN 50 - Anniversary Gala on the NNR

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by NNR Webmaster, Oct 29, 2008.

1. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

Please take some good photos everyone I can't make it as I'm at College

2. kieranhardy

kieranhardy Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Just a word of warning to anyone travelling by train to get there for the first weekend if they dont already know,

There arn't any trains between Shenfield & Manningtree on the Sunday (not sure about the Saturday, but i would guess it's the same situation for then too) , and it seems there is only a 2 hourly service from Sheringham, which is usually an hourly service, there was only one connection i could make on my way home on the Sunday and that was apparently at 11:43. Somewhat pointless going to the gala if i have to go at that time. This almost shattered my plans of being able to make it but i have found an alternative way to go. Does Network rail not bother checking if there are big events on in the area? And why can't National Express put on suitable rail replacement services... was under the impression they ran coach services. ](*,)

3. davesrailwayphotos

davesrailwayphotos Member

Semi-Professional Musician
    Keiran, the two hourly service is EVERY sunday for six months of the year! - The weekday hourly timetable only runs during the summer months on sundays.

4. kieranhardy

I see, i didnt realise this, it's always been hourly on my visits. Still, it just added to the stress of trying to get home when the majority of my route is closed!

5. davesrailwayphotos

The loco made it, albeit a little late!
    Here's a photo of it on it's way to the sheds, sadly with so much having changed hard to get a photo with sheds in the background. There was an old Melton driver there though, who was interviewed for the local paper tomorrow

[​IMG]

6. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

7. joe_issitt

joe_issitt New Member

Ex-Boiler Maker
    I would guess the EDP but I wouldn't take that as gospel

8. davesrailwayphotos

sorry, yeah i meant the EDP.

9. billr2e

billr2e New Member

The gala will be my first visit to the line. Are there any good places to photograph the trains other than from the end of a platform?

I hope to be there for all three days.

Any help would be appreciated.

10. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

11. SteveA

SteveA Member

Retired
  12. steamingyorkshire

steamingyorkshire Well-Known Member

Lecturer
    Just received my copy of the Gala guide this morning and i must say its a credit to the railway, its highly detailed, contains tones of information and was worth every penny! The loco consists look highly promising too... and i would recommend the booklet to anyone even if your not attending the gala, its a great read! Great to see 44422 is at the railway, any news of when the other engines are due to arrive?

13. Owen

Owen New Member

Hi Bill,
    Weekend Lineside passes for the Gala can be bought by contacting Sheringham Office - see here and here. As long as you've got a pass and an ORANGE hi-viz jacket, you can walk the line to take photographs and videos.

There are a number of good places to shoot, namely by Sheringham Box, by a field on the Landward/Weybourne side of Bridge 303, anywhere along Kelling Bank, at the bottom of Kelling Bank (accessible by Bridge Road), Averies Curve up near Holt, Holt C&W Sheds and around all stations.

I will be checking and selling lineside passes to those without them on a few days over the gala too.

Cheers,
    Owen

14. steamingyorkshire

steamingyorkshire Well-Known Member

Lecturer
    It'll be my first trip to the line too, i sent off the forms for the lineside pass last week and had the pass within two days, great service guys and great value for money considering some of the prices i pay for other railways. Really looking forward to the gala now... Lets just hope the weather holds.

15. kieranhardy

On the main road (i think it's the main road anyway) between Sheringham and Weybourne the line passes over it. You can often get some great snaps from the road side in the morning/afternoon.

Eg.

[​IMG]

Or if you alight at Weybourne and go through the gate on platform 2 you can go left and walk up to the field, takes around 10 mins or so i guess, it also seems to be one of the most popular places for photographers!

[​IMG]

Or if you go right out of the same exit and across the road, there is a long walk way which will take you along the line and eventually to the crossing. Takes quite a while to get too though.

[​IMG]

16. Owen

Owen New Member

Just to put photos to locations on a map, if travelling from Sheringham to Weybourne, here are some of my favourite places to take snaps:

Sheringham Box, just outside Sheringham Station, lots of steam and smoke from this point as the locomotives accelerate out of the station.
    http://owensrailwayphotographs.fotopic. ... 18135.html
    http://owensrailwayphotographs.fotopic. ... 18158.html

Beyond Bridge 303, on the field previously mentioned is a great place to shoot. In the evenings on a good day the light can be perfect during the "golden hour". There are some stunning photos of Green Arrow and the WD Double Heading along here. There are many places to shoot both on the lineside and at the edge of the field where a good vantage point can give panoramic views of the Sea and Weybourne Windmill.
    http://owensrailwayphotographs.fotopic. ... 67765.html
    http://owensrailwayphotographs.fotopic. ... 18148.html
    http://owensrailwayphotographs.fotopic. ... 18134.html

Weybourne Yard can make for some nice photos too, in the morning there is plenty of scope for nice shots when the crews are lighting up and during the day when trains pass.
    http://owensrailwayphotographs.fotopic. ... 72249.html
    http://owensrailwayphotographs.fotopic. ... 18151.html
    http://owensrailwayphotographs.fotopic. ... 18159.html

Weybourne Station has plenty of opportunities - the footbridge and road bridge offer a lot of scope for shots. Access to land on the edge of the embankment past the road bridge (302) is also possible. Trains departing Weybourne are always good to see, with the bridge and 1 in 80 bank.
    http://owensrailwayphotographs.fotopic. ... 18154.html
    http://owensrailwayphotographs.fotopic. ... 18136.html
    http://owensrailwayphotographs.fotopic. ... 90941.html

Those are the places I've been to most - I want to scout out some nice spots during the gala, namely from the bottom of the bank on Bridge Road and Averies Curve up near Holt.

17. SteveA

SteveA Member

Retired
    This has to be one of the NNR's best locations (even if on this occassion the loco didn't really match the stock), though it's become a bit tight in recent years due to tree growth, though the lineside clearing team were due to do some more 'heavy gardening' here this winter.

Steve A

18. Owen

Owen New Member

Steve, that's the one spot I've never had the chance to get up to. Do you shoot from the footpath at the top of the embankment or on the embankment side for such a picture?

19. davesrailwayphotos

Side of the embankment owen... there's a tree stump... quite a big one.... a couple of paces back from that will do you nicely.

I always find the beauty of the NNR is because there are so many different types of landscape, you can normally find something new if you try hard enough.

It reguarly changes but a couple of my favourites at the present time are
    Just beyond Kelling station. It's quite close to the track, so make sure you're far enough back and there is a bit of a slope! It works well after mid-morning for most of the day
    [​IMG]

Up near Bridge Road / Bridge 299 taken through the trees. Good shot in the morning, once the sun has risen above the trees. This should be about 10:30-ish
    [​IMG]
    I know I have a couple of new spots planned for the gala.

20. billr2e

billr2e New Member

Thanks to everyone that has given suggestions of spots along the line. It really is appreciated.

I have now ordered a lineside pass as well.