If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

M&GN 50 - Anniversary Gala on the NNR

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by NNR Webmaster, Oct 29, 2008.

1. MrHillingdon

MrHillingdon Well-Known Member

I'd say risk that arm and a leg! Last Saturday was a really good show and I'm sure you won't be disappointed if you make the effort to go.

Cheers,

Paul

2. SteamGalore

SteamGalore New Member

Retired Civil Engineer
    Great Gala,really hectic schedule-perhaps a bit too much saturday-timings fell apart.Only One complaint why did Mayflower only run once on saturday when it was almost dark!! Anyway pictures up now at

http://steamgalore.fotopic.net/c1661402_1.html

3. davesrailwayphotos

davesrailwayphotos Member

Semi-Professional Musician
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    If it was on time it would have been in the 'golden hour' - But the timetable was written in such a way that in the event of a failure, there was always one loco at Weybourne. 44222 and 1306 ran the evening trains (1306 the luxury dining train) hence their appearance later in the day.

4. NNR Webmaster

NNR Webmaster New Member

Student
    Fantastic to see so many positive comments! As has been said before, this is the biggest event the NNR has ever held and generally the first weekend seemed to go very well, although there are of course always ways to improve and lessons to learn for next time!

It's also great to see so many photos and videos around the web - I think we've sold a record number of lineside passes for this event.

In answer to dace 83, the Quads are fine. The inner workings of the door handle to the Guards' compartment fell apart just before the set's last trip on Friday so unfortunately they had to be failed. It was repaired that evening by carriage and wagon so the Quads returned to service first thing Saturday morning. The M&GN 129 coach ran with the Quads for some trains over the gala. Having had it's extensive restoration completed a matter of days ago it was a last minute addition. It may well appear on some trains next weekend also for some more "running in".

The cancellation of the Quad's last service turned out well in the end - it allowed us to catch up the few minutes we had lost, meaning the last train of the day arrived into Sheringham spot on time! A number of factors caused delays on Saturday but we managed to keep regular trains running and hope it didn't detract too much from the event. Sunday was a good day, a minor teething problem with the newly commissioned signalling system caused 10 or 15 minutes delay, but it didn't get worse through the day, with services running as booked until the last train, just slightly behind time.

I hear Weybourne sheds on the Saturday night had a great atmosphere and attracted a good number of visitors. I coudn't attend myself as I was busy enjoying a lovely meal on the dining train. Personally (my opinion NOT the railway's) I'm not sure the evening photoshoot was an ideal event for children, but if they attend I'd rather see their parents keeping a close eye on them rather than lots of red and white tape around locos and equipment, brightly coloured barriers and the shed plastered with health and safety posters.

Orange hi vis vests should be on sale in Sheringham shop again, and I believe at Weybourne too (although not 100% certain on that one). Cost is indeed £4 each.

As Mayflower worked the evening services it could not come off shed until early afternoon or else the crew would be over-hours. With NNR locos we can roster relief crews but the B1 is being crewed by its owning group.

I'm looking forward to next weekend, although the thought of doing it all again makes me feel very tired!!!

5. 22A

22A Well-Known Member

Administrator
    30 years ago when I was a volunteer at Sherringham, one guy announced he heard a rumour that Mayflower might be visiting the NNR for a while. He was met with a chorus of disbelief and was asked where do such rumours emanate from. After all these years he's been vindicated; all comes to he who waits!

6. davesrailwayphotos

Finally got 38 pictures from the gala uploaded to my website. Back for round 2 next weekend!

7. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

Nice selection, especially this one http://www.dave-ballard.co.uk/2009NNR/TYL6.JPG and Mayflower through Weybourne

Saturday photos not working though

8. Owen

Owen New Member

Lovely photos, some crackers in there \:D/

I took 300+ shots, I'll get my website updated when I'm not quite so knackered!

[​IMG]

Roll on next weekend!

9. davesrailwayphotos

Thanks Dace83 - I've gone and changed the mistake i made in the coding[-o<

Look forward to yours owen. You're not the only one at about 300:p

10. Ian Riley

Ian Riley Part of the furniture Loco Owner

Overall, I can honestly say, one of THE best events that we have ever been invited to!

A super crowd of lads, enthusiastic, determined, focused...and no internal politics in sight!

And with Nick, Danny, Gary, Tony and Howard on hand from the Steam Railway team, it turned out to be a nicely 'rounded' event throughout.

For those of you that have not yet visited, this coming weekend has more of the same to offer, if you make the trip, I guarantee that you will not be dissapointed.

The authenticity and overall ambience is something to be experienced and relished....... =D>

I wish them all the best with their 'mainline' connection crossing appeal...Julian Birley will be more than glad to advise any willing contributors of their appreciated contribution!...just ask at any of the stations.....

11. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

12. davesrailwayphotos

Glad you've been enjoying the railways services Ian :p

Dace83... it was the 10:30 train or something like that - There was two other people there.. a couple up on Holiday from somewhere or other.

13. SteveA

SteveA Member

Retired
    In case anyone has wondered why the event is called "That's Yer Lot". I took this photograph of the original 1959 headboard from the last day that now hangs in the William Marriott railway museum at Holt station.

Steve A

14. SteveA

SteveA Member

Retired
    One for Ian, a big thank you for letting have the use of such a superb machine. Seen here on Saturday morning as it reaches the top of the climb up through Kelling Cutting.

Steve A

15. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

We must of just missed each other then as I was probably there an hour later or so

16. Midland Red 1947

Midland Red 1947 New Member

Thoroughly enjoyed my first visit, Friday and part of Saturday, although had to abandon plans to stay through to Sunday due to back spasm
    Thanks and congratulations to all involved in putting on this gala, and best wishes for the 2nd weekend - I'm considering whether I might be fit to come back again
    My humble offerings can be viewed at http://railphotosbycliffjones.fotopic.net/c1661520.html

17. 3855

3855 Member

Phenomenal event, very nice railway with dedicated and friendly staff all seemingly working together for the common cause.
    This is probably the best gala i've attended. If you weren't there for the first weekend you should do all you can to get their next weekend. Until my first trip on the line i was under the impression that all railways in Norfolk were flat, how wrong was i!!! #-o #-o
    Looking forward to next weekend =P~

18. SteveA

SteveA Member

Retired
    3855, if I'm guessing correctly you should like these! The top one shows Richard 'Dick' Hardy on the footplate of 1300 on Friday.

Steve A

19. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

I have a feeling the 'welcome new members' page in the next joint line will be larger than normal.

20. steamingyorkshire

steamingyorkshire Well-Known Member

Lecturer
    Some superb photos out there, spectacular stuff! Thanks for the reply regarding 1306's whistle, much appreciated.
    Well after having the laptop uploading for the majority of last night and today i've finally managed to upload a selection of clips from Saturday and Sunday with some clips from the photo shoot on Saturday evening. However due to uploading them in HD Quality i've being restricted to about 5 minutes of footage from each day. However due to our new Winter Steam 2009 DVD just being released i felt i would place some more clips within the trailer for people to see.

Saturday's Footage & Photo Shoot
    Sunday's Footage
    DVD Trailer