If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Lynton & Barnstaple Railway 10th Anniversary: Looking To The Past & Future

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by JMJR1000, Aug 2, 2014.

1. brmp201

brmp201 Member

IT Director
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    New Annoucement on the L&B web site:

Share Issue

The Lynton & Barnstaple Railway Trust is in the process of forming the L&B Blackmoor Company Plc with an intention for it to issue shares, and to acquire and run the Old Station House Inn pub, restaurant and surrounding property. The Inn was formerly Blackmoor Station.

Please visit the L&B web site to learn more (and register your interest).

2. andrewshimmin

andrewshimmin Well-Known Member

Could I ask how the three locos are splitting the workload this summer?

3. Buzzard

Buzzard New Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Isaac has been out for a month undergoing its annual boiler inspection and minor repairs, but should be back available for service in the next week or so. Axe has been running most trains in the meantime. Charles Wytock operates the service on occasional days when a bigger engine is needed or Axe is on footplate experience duty - perhaps a dozen times since early May- but its annual boiler inspection is due shortly so may be unavailable for a short while once Isaac is cleared for service again.

4. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    I went on Sunday with the kids.

Its gorgeous!!

Adam-Box and Felix Holt like this.
  5. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest

It sure is!

6. Axe

Axe Member

Retired (Electronics Engineer)
  7. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest

Chris, has EA thought of one day installing a panel or two of unwanted rail and adding perhaps a cosmetically restored wagon, as a means of advertising the railway and attracting passers-by? Perhaps, though, this wouldn't be seen from the road at Snapper?

8. JMJR1000

JMJR1000 Member

Not a bad idea, better yet why not go a step further and make a real occasion out of it, by relaying a good stretch of track at the Snapper Halt site and run a loco and coach or two for a few days as a one off event? I know realistically it would be a tad expensive and time consuming a affair for little reward, not to mention the notable issue of access and parking, though it would be quite a advertising move. Perhaps something that could be considered in the future when the railway is moving to extend in that direction?

9. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

You may be in to planning permission territory even for the track panels.

10. Meiriongwril

Meiriongwril Member

Apart from the planning permission point just raised by Saggin Dragon, any one off running of a loco would have to be by the LBR not by Exmoor Associates, I feel, due to the past (now thankfully put to rest) slight tensions between them leading to a declaration a year or so ago that EA would not be running any trains in possible competition with the LBR.

11. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

When the Puffing Billy Railway (Australia) were building their extension they took a Peckett 0-4-0ST and a coach by low loader every month or so to the site of the new terminus, where they had laid about 1/4 mile of track. This was to publicise the new development and also raise funds

12. Axe

Axe Member

Yes, the EA Chairman did mention at the L&B South East Area Group's Meeting in May that some EA shareholders had suggested laying a small number of track panels alongside the platform at Snapper Halt for publicity purposes. However I'm not aware at this time of any proposals for taking the idea forward. You are correct in saying the track wouldn't be seen from the road, at least from passing vehicles.

On the subject of laying track panels, a short length of track was recently put down in the siding at Chelfham. It really serves to enhance the railway atmosphere at that station.

Chris

13. Axe

Axe Member

Exmoor Associates only has one remit which is to procure trackbed between Barnstaple and Wistlandpound Reservoir of the former Lynton & Barnstaple Railway that closed in 1935. The company is NOT in the business of train operation.

Chris

Felix Holt likes this.
  14. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

The GWSR did just that at Cheltenham Racecourse - They put in the loop through the station way before the track had arrived there on the actual extension and held an open weekend with 1450 in steam running about the station with a brakevan, can remember it being quite busy (and this was a good few years before the extension opened - about 5 years or so IIRC).

15. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    There is a reasonable stretch of owned land at Snapper, could even go for a 7 1/4" line!

From what I can gather the trackbed is owned to just beyond Paracombe Lane, then there is a huge stretch that isn't owned up to bridge 60, where the land is then back in L&B/EA ownership up until just before bridge 57, where it's in private hands again until Blackmoor, then beyond that it is in ownership all the way up to bridge 53. Is that right?

16. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?usp=sharing&mid=zLXVAJyaIdqw.ksYDRlgOiEAk
    This maps shows exactly which bits belong to LB Trust and which to EA.

17. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest

Exactly what Meirion G said, of course.
    So, maybe a static wagon or two would be best, if tall enough to be visible from the road?

18. ianh

ianh Member

Farmer -
    Is that Google map upto date? I thourght that part of the trackbed came with the purchase of Rowley Moor Farm?

19. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Yea, me too, that's why I queried it

20. Axe

Axe Member

The map is correct and forms part of the Property Page of the Exmoor Associates website, but it should be noted that the map still has to be completed. In consequence the map uses the designations adopted by EA, hence the trackbed across Rowley Moor Farm that you query is shown as the 'Higher Bodley Trackbed'.

Chris