If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Lynton & Barnstaple Railway 10th Anniversary: Looking To The Past & Future

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by JMJR1000, Aug 2, 2014.

1. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest

Hi Chris
    Yes, I do know that!
    Quite rightly, they are now tackling coach number 5. Van 23 is therefore bumped further back along the restoration list.
    I was thinking more along the lines of a small group who could raise funds quietly in the background for one of the smaller freight vehicles, and maybe also serve as a research group?

2. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    From all the lists online, it would seem that there are no surviving parts of carriage 5 so this one will be a total replica. Is another carriage actually needed at present? I realise that it will take a few years to recreate No5 and if/when the extension plans are approved and the line is extended then additional carriages will be required, but it seems slightly odd to start this project at present when there is no undercover storage and no operational need for the carriage (and however much we may want it, there's no guarantee of planning approval for the extension). Maybe as suggested above, it would have been better (and cheaper!) to work on van No23 or wagon No4.

No criticism intended - just seems a little odd to me!

Keith

3. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest

The Wikipedia list appears to be wrong. The L&B sources definitely say that 5 does have parts available. The newsletters tells us that 5 is needed as there's not been enough 1st class seats available to meet demand this past season (a good problem to have!)
    It won't take years to rebuild 5, it should be ready for next season assuming funds come in as they have been.

4. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Wiki and the L&B Yahoo database both show it as non-existent, so that's good to know that some parts have survived. Have the L&B got a grant for the rebuild? I seem to recall that the earlier rebuilds took a few years as they had to be done as and when finance was available.

Keith