If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Lynton and Barnstaple - Operations and Development

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by 50044 Exeter, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Michael B

Michael B Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    But aren't legacies to a charity exempt from them ? Forget the entitled offspring, just change your Will and we'll get to the Zoo.

lynbarn likes this.
  2. 21B

21B Part of the furniture

Those were said to be the only certainties in the future.

lynbarn and The Dainton Banker like this.
  3. 21B

21B Part of the furniture

Even the super rich pay taxes. Maybe not as much as we feel they ought in some cases.

lynbarn and Kempenfelt 82e like this.
  4. Biermeister

Biermeister Member

Brewer
    I've been wondering about the origin of the saying: 'The only certainty in life is death and taxes' (as you do). I thought it was Benjamin Franklin so I consulted Prof. Goggle who concurred that, yes, indeed it was he. So, there you are!

lynbarn and DaveE like this.
  5. Michael B

Michael B Member

According to Ward Lock's 'Benham's book of quotations', first published in 1907, 'nothing is certain but death and the taxes' is a proverb, but Dickens came somewhere near in David Copperfield Ch. 21 with 'as taxes is. And nothing's truer than them.'

I picked up this 2 1/2" thick book in my trawls of second-hand bookshops in the hope of understanding the origin of the phrase "Perchance it sleepeth" etc. Always a chance - a volume of Titbits Magazine was very cheap, but I had to part-exchange an unwanted book to acquire the reinforced concrete catalogue with an illustration of the rebuilt Pilton Crossing footbridge. And then there was a flurry of books following the passing of the Light Railways Act in 1896, Sidney Stone's book on Carriage & Wagon construction of 1902, and Edwin Pratt's 'British Railways and the Great War' - these tend to be pricey, but increasingly difficult to find these days. Other books are essential to understanding such as Charles Lee's 'Passenger Class Distinctions' with details on the changes in railway fares and when they happened, and W. E. Simnett's 'Railway Amalgamation in Great Britain' - essential to find out how much the L & B got in compensation from the government control of the £60m paid out after WW1.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2023
    Miff and Biermeister like this.
  6. Old Kent Biker

Old Kent Biker Member

ex IT Consultant
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Thanks for that @Michael B. Although I vaguely knew of the 1883 scheme, I didn't realise it had got as far as a detailed survey of the route. How close (or distant) was it to the route eventually chosen for the L&B?

7. Michael B

Michael B Member

A slightly more direct route with tunnels to cope with the shallower curves required :

At Barnstaple it bifurcated - one through Pilton Park to a junction with the LSWR at Pottington, the other going to the GW station, which were guaranteed to get up the noses of those two Companies, and they sent their surveyors to pick holes in the plans (successfully).
    It crossed the road between Yeo Town and Snapper, to the side of the hill, a tunnel being required opposite Skew Bridge. 154 yards.
    An arch 35ft long and 16ft high where Chelfham Viaduct was built.
    The line went more-or-less straight from the Bratton Road bridge (24) to Chumhill, and similarly across the horseshoe north of Bratton.
    There would have been another tunnel at Sprecott (east of the farm), 293 yards.
    The deviation just described at Wistland Pound (as it was spelt in those days)
    Another tunnel at Holwill (Parracombe) embankment. 158 yards
    It would have gone west of Headnacott at Parracombe.
    Another tunnel at Martinhoe Cross 484 yards (!) emerging at Higher Ranscombe.
    An 80 yard viaduct at Dean Steep.
    A fifth tunnel across through the corner at Kibsworthy. 374 yards (!)
    Lynton Station would have been round the corner above Alford Terrace.

Would the nearly 7/8th of a mile of tunneling have been affordable ?

Maps of all the schemes that got to Parliament (even if not passed), compared with a dotted line showing what was built, have been prepared for my intended history.

8. Jdwitts

Jdwitts New Member

Stopped off at Woody Bay after a few days camping near Combe Martin. Quite remarkable to see the transformation over the last 25 years from my last visit. We rode 'there-and-back' twice to Killington Lane, had a delicious cream tea in the tea rooms and the shop relieved me of some £ for books which I hope will help support the line. 'Lyn' seemed in fine form working up the 1-in-50 and the heritage carriages are comfortable and really clean. Overall it's a very pleasant spot to spend a few hours, and the 16 mm railway in the garden was nice to see.

Non-enthusiast partner commented on the poor signage on the A39 road , and what's there just says 'Woody Bay Station' rather than anything about a railway. I assume this is so as not to confuse folks who might expect a train ride all the way to Barnstaple..?

9. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    Anyone know whats running on Saturday?

10. lynbarn

lynbarn Well-Known Member

Working in the NHS as a Maintenance Electrician
    Hi thanks for the comments, I should like to point out that road signs are something that ENPA take seriously, it has been an on going discussion to have better signage for the station, so sadly there is very little we can do about this at present.

Snail368 likes this.
  11. DaveE

DaveE Member

This is what's is so important and makes it all worth while, comments like this are what are so great to see.
    Thank you! :cool:

12. Tobbes

Tobbes Member

Evening everyone,

This is indeed lovely to hear. :)

But we also need to remain focussed on the governance issues that this year's Trusteeship elections have uncovered.

It is now June, and I have not heard anything about the timing of the Trustee election that we were promised in Lynton last month. I cannot understand the delay in announcing when the ballot papers will be sent, but in order not to make assumptions, I emailed Mr Nicholson and the Trustees the following note on Saturday.

I hope that we get an announcement of the timetable soon.

Toby

Dear Mr Nicholson,

Further to the commitments made by Mr Miles at the (purported) AGM last month, I am writing to you to find out when I can expect my ballot for the rerun 2023 Trustee Election, please?

Given that a firm commitment was given to the hall that the full slate of validly nominated candidates would be on the ballot, and an acceptance by the Chair that the ballot and the disciplinary procedure against Anne Belsey are wholly separate, I cannot see why we have not been told when the ballots will be sent.

I presume that you are in the last stages of preparing the ballots for dispatch, and I look forward to your confirmation by return of the timetable.

Sincerely yours,

Toby
    T J Fenwick
    Member, L&BRT

13. Small Prairie

Small Prairie Part of the furniture

Coach Driver
    Beautiful, you was told clearly along with the rest of the room that the oppression is on here as well and you still post on here

Your probably find it takes a while to get everything done properly so no one else moans . The AGM was an absolute farse because of those on the floor.

You think there gonna rush into doing anything that isn't 100% squeaky clean.

Snail368 and H Cloutt like this.
  14. H Cloutt

H Cloutt Member

I absolutely agree. These are matters for members only. In the past I have asked the Trustees for information and recieved responses - I certainly would not post any of this on an open forum such as this.

Snail368 likes this.
  15. H Cloutt

H Cloutt Member

Thank you for this insight into what happened at the AGM.

16. Biermeister

Biermeister Member

Brewer
    Well, their track record here certainly hasn't been... (I'm thinking leopards and spots...)

17. Meatman

Meatman Member

I think that you will find there are many other people that are not happy with the way things are and yes they are moaning/complaining that even when given enough time things still aren't done properly and yes they have over the years rushed into things that haven't been done properly, judging from one of your previous comments you weren't even at the AGM and i certainly didn't see you there so i don't know how you can claim the AGM was a farce because of those on the floor, the very fact is people were trying to establish whether or not the AGM was actually valid, and also why A.B was left off the list of nominees, these men have been in charge for many years now and if they cant get the governance right then that should be questioned and to be fobbed off is no excuse, if public money is needed at some time in the future the the governance of the trust has to be impeccable, those trustees only really have to face the members for about 2 hours a year at the AGM and the attitude of some because they were questioned over their actions / abilities was totally unacceptable, for one trustee to be heard saying in the background 'i don't have to be sat here listening to this sh*t, ive better places to be' and then going off on one to all those present telling us how wonderful he is before walking out is also unacceptable.
    There was comment about social media and that was clearly used on the night to lay the blame for things elsewhere apart from on their doorstep, but what can they expect when their very own members page isn't used anymore to connect with the members, the unofficial FB page (of which i believe you are a moderator) has over the top censorship for anyone making a critical remark about the railway, the frustrations and anger/upset is going to come out somewhere so if the Trust isn't going to engage with its members more openly and positively then they have to accept social media is going to play a big part in members discussions

Mark Thompson, Biermeister and SID125 like this.
  18. Meatman

Meatman Member

I can assure you the AGM wasn't a farce because of those on the floor, it was a show of contempt by the trust of every member in the room

19. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

Based on the calling and conduct of that meeting from the top table, which I attended, I do not have confidence that everything done would be "100% squeaky clean". I'll respect @H Cloutt's wish to keep members' matters within the membership, but there was clear evidence in the behaviour of both individuals and the trustees as a body to show that being "squeaky clean" was not a priority. In evidence of which I will offer that, nearly one month after that meeting, I note that as at my post delivery yesterday, there is no trace of the promised trustee elections.

20. H Cloutt

H Cloutt Member

Sorry I had assumed that the person who made the original comment was present at the AGM.