If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Lynton and Barnstaple - Operations and Development

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by 50044 Exeter, Dec 25, 2009.

1. Meiriongwril

Meiriongwril Member

gOSH I didn't realize you don't get subtle ...

brmp201 likes this.
  2. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    You do, and i at least respect that there has been that contribution even if I’m unaware of the details. But to relative outsiders, what comes across is something much more than that, and that is focused on “get rid” rather than practical and constructive suggestions about what change would actually mean in terms of how reinstatement of the railway could move ahead.

Whatever has happened in the last 17 years, whether wasted time or not, the reality is that it’s not possible to go back to then, and that the events of those 17 years have informed the reality that the railway has to deal with in 2023 - in particular, around planning and dealing with neighbours.

Promises have been made about updates and consultation; we need to see what is in them and respond accordingly. Much may change in a project or organisation even without change in personnel; much more may change with even a small change in personnel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. Meatman

Meatman Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    I will be honest with you and say that at least 2 trustees need to step down for any progress to be made and many people i have spoken to feel the same, it is suggested that no matter what plan is decided upon it will be a 10 year process ,there are willing people wanting to stand as trustee's but they are not willing to do so whilst these 2 remain. this railway is in desperate need of fresh blood to move it forward.
    Its not about going back over 17 years ,its what has happened attitude wise over those 17 years as to how people who have offered to help or have started to help and then been ignored or turned away, many professionals from all walks of life who could have greatly benefitted the railway have in the end been ignored

4. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

You may well be right, and I don't dispute the basic point that sometimes change can only be unlocked if there is a change in people. However, my observation from outside is that I see stones being thrown, but not suggestions for how they could be turned into a building.

5. gwralatea

gwralatea Member

Right, now we're getting somewhere. Personalities. The only thing standing between the execution of an alternative way forward, and a bright future for the railway, is that those with the right ideas aren't prepared to work with the current trustees, even temporarily.

If people feel strongly enough - and again, from 200 miles away if I've got 'no idea' that's the fault of *both* sides for not getting their messages out isn't it? - then they would be prepared to organise and attempt to replace through election 2 trustees a year, every year, for as long as it takes. In the meantime, having to work with people they don't like while achieving that is the very definition of 'taking one for the team.'

If they're not prepared to do that then aren't us ordinary members who 'have no idea' being let down by the Trust and the opposition? Both sides talking a good game, one apparently in charge of the trainset and letting us down (if you believe the other side), the other unwilling to do anything unless it falls into their lap.

Great work all round I'd say.

6. lynbarn

lynbarn Well-Known Member

Working in the NHS as a Maintenance Electrician
    That is a membership issue and not for NP sorry no discussion

7. lynbarn

:) Oh I get subtle alright, I have been trying to use it in the past few weeks in ways to help this railway but it hasn't got me anywhere. :D:D:D

8. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

I tend to agree, but you may want to consider how some of your other comments align with that position.

9. Meatman

Meatman Member

It would seem a purchase has been made to help save face for the failure of the planning permission that some of you might like to raise a pint to

SpudUk and Miff like this.
  10. lynbarn

You have hit the nail on the head personalities, I really don't understand it but for a majority of ex L&BR Chairman there is almost a power trip buzz about holding that title, the two best chairman we have had are Peter Bowes and Mike Buse. In my experience after a while the incumbent changes, back in 2006 I did vote for Peter Miles as he gave an impression of a fresh clean start.

Most members I would suggest are only interested in having a bigger and longer railway, I would include myself in that, however the self inflected problems started about 4 or 5 years ago ok pre-Covid when due to an oversight the AGM had some issues. One AGM you can forgive as a mistake, but we then had two more AGMs where things also went wrong on some technicalities. that be it may, all the AGM's went ahead.

Due to personal reasons I have not been able to get to North Devon in the past few years, but I have been more than happy to support the railway as best as I can.

Back in 2016 I think it was and in a bid to make something happen it was announced that the railway was going to build an extension to Blackmoor, the membership had to find out for themselves as to just what was going on, great plan but no substance, how was this going to be done? How much is it going to cost, what changes need to take place, you know all the basic stuff you would want your supporters to know what they are letting themselves in for.

Obtaining updates only happened now and then and it has only been recently that more information has come out, the one thing which is sad, is the lack of communication. If is goes wrong I can accept that and we can move on but when I asked the Chairman for an update from a members meeting I was told we (the trustees) have no plans to publish what was discussed , at the time it was suggested they could have got over this:-

Make more use of the members only section of the website
    or
    They could have published a heavily redacted report to remove anything which was sensitive

But nothing happen. We then started the blame game by saying that it was all down to ENPA why all the planning had failed, sorry I don't believe that, someone then asked the question so what did the Trustees do to prevent this happening? Again those of you who have the last newsletter will also see that the blame also extends to our advisors as well.

So who is to blame for this c**k up and what lessons have been learned? as some one not on this forum once said could you really trust someone who has just stolen you pension pot? What do you think?

So you know I have offered my services as an advisor in the past, before all of this kicked off but no one got back to me, I have not had any discussions with any of the trustees on how to go forward, but someone who has a lot to lose and is not a trustee (and this has been confirmed from someone else) tells me that they see the trust as being run by just 3 or 4 people and the rest of the trustees are totally ignored, just like Meatman I don't have a beef with all the Trustees, it is just a few of them that have let the whole project down that is why I am angry.

Biermeister and weltrol like this.
  11. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

You say "what do you think". I think that someone presenting themselves as an advisor who says that they've been unable due to personal circumstances to visit Devon for "the past few years" is starting on the back foot for credibility. I then struggle more with them when they criticise a blame game at the same time as referring to the current state of play as a "c**k up".

Greater honesty is required, and that may well reflect poorly on the trustees. But anger is a destructive emotion, and it isn't one that will build the L&B.

lynbarn, H Cloutt, ghost and 3 others like this.
  12. 62440

62440 New Member

What is the basis, please, for saying it will be a 10 year process? (This is a straightforward question for clarification, nothing else.)

13. Greenway

Greenway Part of the furniture

Have you considered that you may be seem to be seen as a "trouble maker" in certain quarters?
    The the L&B's nearby heritage line neighbour dealt with these sort of matters in an acrimonious manner resulting in people leaving, or keeping a low profile. due to legal threats etc. It seems quiet there now and most rarely post here.

Mrcow and H Cloutt like this.
  14. 35B

35B Nat Pres stalwart

I hope you're not suggesting that as a desirable precedent!

The Dainton Banker and H Cloutt like this.
  15. Meatman

Meatman Member

Just like the current long term incumbents then, having others do the hard work in rebuilding the L&BR and getting it up and running before they took over

16. Mrcow

Mrcow Member

NGG16 NG109?

17. Michael B

Michael B Member

They must have found LEW at last ! (Sorry, couldn't resist it)

SpudUk, Mrcow and lynbarn like this.
  18. lynbarn

Oi stop that or you will get your self a reputation like me for only wanting Garratts in Devon :D:D:D:D:D

19. DcB

DcB Well-Known Member

Isn't 115 still being restored at the sadly now closed (to the public) Exmoor Steam Railway at Bratton Fleming?

lynbarn likes this.
  20. lynbarn

What was the one that Pete Waterman started to do?