If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Lynton and Barnstaple - Operations and Development

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by 50044 Exeter, Dec 25, 2009.

1. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Member

Maintenance supervisor
    First May I say HELLO ALL
    Of course I am still here and I was there at the L&B AGM I made a special effort and had two nice pints of Cider after at the Valley of the Rocks .
    I confirm that the meeting was as others have asserted not compliant on M&A'snot really a suprise ....nothing has changed in the morals and ethics dept .
    Although there are a couple of notable additions Anne being one . Her appraisal that was isued ( A matter of Trust ) was most illuminating well done Anne .
    ConRod 1 I have to say you have out paced me on the order of magnitude of a RNP posting !! Very descriptive for those engaged enough to really want to understand " Extending the L&B the obstacles to be over come .

However until those concerned get their Morals and Ethics in order it wont go anywhere ... Its all hot air and not much Steam ..
    I did highlight on here 10 years back 12 even what would happen if you ignore the will of the funders and tge do 'ers and plough your own furrough . Sadly Andrew Dow was right in one assertion .
    It will only be built ( if ever ) as a railway built by the people for the people , not as a private railway for a few using other peoples money . But hey ho . You lost my input and Exmoort Transport and a self funding workshoops but most of all you fragmented a very sound slowly assembled operatiin you lost a big group of volunteers .. Image is your biggest issue or lack of it in the right places . Your up a Cul De Sac with a blind load that has 3 punctures . And " The Driver " has walked away !! Thats how I see it
    Its going to need a big overhaul and until that happens its not going anywhere ..
    Best Regards The Engineer

2. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Member

Maintenance supervisor
    The Engineer never left RNP but he left the design team of the L&B. Do you really think he would associate himself with trying to superheat a wet steam engine without a total redesign of the Thermodynamics and mechanics .. no you only use superheat where heavy contiuous hauling is a function of the duty ( heavy freight engines working continuously on main lines ) but hey ho what do I know !!!

3. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Member

Maintenance supervisor
    Hey spud remember Aladin ..
    Rub the lamp and the Genie comes out .
    What is your wish master

Old Kent Biker likes this.
  4. ConRod1

ConRod1 New Member

Well said @The Engineer, Have you had much luck teaching others to suck eggs? I seem to struggle in getting some to think critically and ask questions. It seems some people are happy to be drawn into the fairy tale and just throw money at the Peter miles private railway company.

It’s notable the recent updates on the L&B website appear to omit any mention of the Grampian Conditions. I wonder if @Old Kent Biker will offer an explication as to why this should be?

I note Lynton rail website appears to have packed up following the recent posts on here, I wonder if there’s a connection????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    For those of us not versed in planning law, can anyone offer a simple explanation of "Grampian conditions" - specifically in relation to the L&B?

Cock up rather than conspiracy I suspect. I'm seeing a certificate error, which happens if they go out of date and you don't renew in time: unless the railway is doing all its own website support and hosting, it is the sort of thing your hosting company would do for you, in exchange for the retainer you pay them.

Tom

The Dainton Banker, ghost and 2392 like this.
  6. ConRod1

ConRod1 New Member

Thanks Tom,

I’m not a website guru, it just seemed strange it worked this morning just fine.

Regards Grampian Conditions, I’m happy to post them however, I see that I’ve been given some negative press following my post of the planning information.

I’ll sit on this for the time being and see if others can offer some facts rather than misinformation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Count me as mystified as Tom. Is this a reference to the stringent operation restrictions placed on of the (AFAIK currently moribund) Cairngorm Mountain Funicular?

8. brmp201

brmp201 Member

IT Director
    Grampian Conditions
    These derive from the case of Grampian Regional Council v City of Aberdeen (1984). In essence Grampian conditions are negative conditions which preclude the implementation of development permitted by a planning permission until some step required by the condition has been undertaken. They often relate to work on 3rd party land, e.g. highway improvements. There must be a reasonable chance of the works happening.

My understanding, with regards to the L&B, is that funding for the entire project must be in place to allow the project to be delivered in one phase, avoiding the possibility of work grinding to a halt when only partially completed. That includes owning all the required land.

Happy to be corrected if I've got that wrong.

Tobbes, 2392, ghost and 7 others like this.
  9. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Are we to understand that the disfunction and back-stabbing that afflict a railway a little to the east are not only going on at the L&B but have been for many years?

10. Ploughman

Ploughman Part of the furniture

Ex a lot of things.

11. Old Kent Biker

Old Kent Biker Member

ex IT Consultant
    I did receive a notification (subscribe to https://downtimemonkey.com/ to monitor any sites you want) that the site was down for a couple of hours today, but I don't know why. I very much doubt it was anything to do with Nat. Pres. Perhaps you could contact the Webmaster for an official response? https://www.lynton-rail.org.uk/contact

As for recent mention of the Grampian conditions, I don't have a Scooby, although there is currently still an older page that references them: https://www.lynton-rail.org.uk/page/why-has-it-taken-so-long As above, ask the Webmaster.

As I said earlier, I have no official role in the L&B, other than as a contact for the Kent area group (which is currently "sleeping" since Anne Belsey moved to Devon).

H Cloutt and Snail368 like this.
  12. H Cloutt

H Cloutt Member

You understanding is the same as mine. The 'Grampian' condition applies to the section within the ENPA - As well as having the funding in place they must own all the land required, which they don't yet.

13. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    IIRC in this case planning clauses to the effect that 'no work will start X% of the total required funding is available' and a cut-off date by which works must commence. Is that about right?

I sincerely hope those with their hands on the tiller don't become so absorbed with internal politics that they (a) subordinate the project to egos and (b) engage in unseemly and unedifying behaviour to the extent prospective supporters are put off.

14. H Cloutt

H Cloutt Member

In case you missed it the L and B facebook page has a few interesting posts:-
    1. Maintenance work to the three ex MOD vans
    2. Work on carriage 16
    3. An explanation about the problems with the Website
    Some positive news and progress after some of the negative posts on this forum

15. Biermeister

Biermeister Member

Brewer
    Thank you Harold for that. I don't 'do' Fa(r)cebook for ideological reasons so wonder if you might be able to cut and paste the positive news here? (Only if it's a quick job!!) Thanks for what you can do.

16. MartinBall

MartinBall Guest

This info is in 3 or 4 separate posts to Fbook and each have attached photos and some have links to other sites (e.g. explaining the outage of the website). Therefore, not easy to post any of this here ...

17. MPR

MPR New Member

The Lytton and Barnstaple pages being discussed can be accessed without logging in to Facebook.

18. MartinBall

MartinBall Guest

19. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Are you referring to yourself in the third person...

20. Dunfanaghy Road

Dunfanaghy Road Well-Known Member

Retired
    I'm probably being dim, but what does RNP stand for, please?
    Pat