If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Lynton and Barnstaple - Operations and Development

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by Old Kent Biker, Jan 26, 2016.

1. Robin Moira White

Robin Moira White Nat Pres stalwart

Barrister
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    An alternative analysis is possible.

At the moment the L&B runs from nowhere to nowhere (but ever so delightfully) over a mile in the middle of nowhere, affecting no-one in particular.

The present application marks the point where it steps up to a line from sort of somewhere via somewhere, and certainly raises the real prospect of, in time, running from somewhere to somewhere in quite a significant and useful manner.

Perhaps the view might have been taken that marking that change needs a more substantial enquiry, and, blessed with the principle endorsement that an enquiry can bestow, the L&B's wake from sleep can then be accepted as a public good, leaving future extension applications to focus on practicalities and any real local difficulties, rather than principle.

I did listen to the planning meeting recording (while ironing) a couple of days ago. The objections are really based on fear and exaggerated concern about the effect of the potential nearby railway. I do think that a visit over the hill to West Somerset might help, but folks do get very 'dug in' to their positions.

On to Barnstaple!

Robin

Last edited: May 23, 2016
  2. mgp

mgp New Member

Apologies - that is indeed the case!

Mike

3. JMJR1000

JMJR1000 Member

Ah, well that's fair enough then, no harm done.
    Nice of you to apologise.

4. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest

Well, my grapevine says something quite different from Charobin's. It says the ENPA will not be calling in the application, but will support it with a set of conditions. Whether this is approved at the next meeting, or not until the Autumn, we'll have to see.

lynbarn and Beckford like this.
  5. Charobin

Charobin New Member

If your grapevine in Sweden is mearly asking the trustees then, with respect, until not long ago some of them were confidently stating the planning applications would be decided under delegated powers and not even going before the planning committee. Additionally ENPA does not make the decision to call an application in - the Secretary of State does.

Time will tell, it always does - just like with choosing the Pope!

Miff, paulhitch and Sawdust like this.
  6. lynbarn

lynbarn New Member

cat watching
    No I do not currently volunteer
    :Morewaitingisrequired: time for a:Caffeinefix:

7. Felix Holt

Felix Holt Guest

No - I didn't ask any trustees, so I guess my sources are as likely as your mysterious ones to be correct....
    Some might say that a certain obvious antipathy to the L&B might have coloured your musings .... :Angelic:

lynbarn likes this.
  8. John Stewart

John Stewart Well-Known Member

Retired
    I would be surprised if this were called in. The SofS usually tries to avoid call-ins unless there is some matter of national significance at stake. There isn't here; the environmental issues are local although the economic development implications could be regarded as having an impact outside the national park.

Felix Holt likes this.
  9. John Stewart

John Stewart Well-Known Member

Retired
    That's the wrong way round Felix. It is for the ENPA to determine the application unless the Sof S calls it in.

10. SpudUk

SpudUk Member

Project Manager
    Wasn't the WHR called in by the SoS? Or at least the SoS had to intervene

11. The Saggin' Dragon

The Saggin' Dragon Part of the furniture Staff Member Moderator

That was less a planning issue and more deciding which of the rival bids for the line/company was to go ahead, if I remember correctly.

12. Miff

Miff Well-Known Member

The Transport & Works Act order was made by the Secretary of State for Transport, following a public inquiry (and a High Court case). L&B will, if they first get planning permission, then also require a TWAO but I hope the issues are somewhat less complex.

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  13. Nexuas

Nexuas New Member

Theatre Technician
    It was actually to overturn the results of the public enquiry which had found in favour of the WHR64co/WHHR.

14. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Part of the furniture

Thorn in my managers side
    Out of curiosity, and given some of the speculation on other threads, is there any kind of vision for the completed railway.

Will it be with exclusively replica L&B stock or will there be more modern/larger equiptment?

15. Miff

Miff Well-Known Member

Yes, a wise decision I'm sure you agree :) . The WHR then had to face a second public inquiry for the TWAO.

16. lynbarn

lynbarn New Member

cat watching
    The concept as (or the last time I was told) I understand it is this, it is to have a complete set of carriages in heritage independent livery and a more modern day set in SR livery, take this how you want, but for that to happen we shall need something like 32 carriages in total, there is a discussion to build four Manning Wardle locos and of course Lyn is well under construction which we hope to have in steam at Woody Bay this time next year.

AFAIK the current loco stock is not going anywhere else.

please see this http://www.lynton-rail.co.uk/page/our-plans-rebuild-line-between-lynton-barnstaple

Nexuas likes this.
  17. Meiriongwril

Meiriongwril Member

Hi Charobin

I sent you a private message a few days ago. Could you reply?
    Thanks

18. Old Kent Biker

Old Kent Biker Member

ex IS Manager now Taxi Controller and loving it!

Charobin, "The Grapevine" is a notoriously unreliable source - nearly as capricious as "The Internet". Unless you can identify a reliable source, it is probably not worth reporting here. The Secretary of State normally only "calls in" such applications if they conflict with national policy, or are of national significance, neither of which is the case with the L&B's reinstatement. This is truly a local issue.

The latest from ENPA is that a decision is to be expected sometime around September. Until then, we will just have to wait patiently...

John Stewart, lynbarn and Felix Holt like this.
  19. JMJR1000

JMJR1000 Member

Well we can only hope all goes smoothly with the application, it was perhaps to be expected they'd need time to go through this complex application.

Having thought on these plans though, it's got me curious as to what sources will the railway go to in order to raise the money for the expansion once the applications are through?

I know it's something that won't be properly looked at until actual approval is given, but is there a rough idea of what directions they'll go? It's a lot of money to get the project kickstarted after all, so it can't really be done by normal means of rattling tins at passersby.

20. ghost

ghost Well-Known Member

I imagine that the powers that be have some sources in mind, and may have even held initial discussions with them. I don't think they would reveal these sources at present due to the possibility of being gazumped by another project.

Keith

Old Kent Biker likes this.