If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Lynton and Barnstaple Grant

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by SpudUk, Feb 12, 2013.

1. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Thanks Martyn

Sounds decidedly more interesting that way! I need to do some reading (and visiting...)

Tom

2. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

What are the current prospects of exending the line, in particular to another station site? Mr Portillo, on his way to Barnstaple did comment "it ends in a field" and was picked up by road transport for his onward journey. I think the gent he travelled with said the current line is about one mile in length.

3. Old Kent Biker

Old Kent Biker Member

ex IT Consultant
    One of the major problems with restoring the L&B is that the trackbed land was sold off piecemeal - often back to the original pre-1898 landowners! It is a long, drawn-out process to put it all back together again, although we are making steady progress in that regard. The next phase we are working on will see around 9 miles back in service, including a major centre at Blackmoor, close to the original station. Obviously, this requires a lot of money, and will take some years yet to complete, but then Rome wasn't built in a day. Eventually, a new terminus is planned at Lynton, similar to the original, but much closer to the town.

Check out the L&B website, perhaps starting with Lynton & Barnstaple Railway Trust's Future Plans | Lynton_&_ Barnstaple_Railway and http://www.lynton-rail.co.uk/enterprise for more info.

4. Jamessquared

If it is any consolation (?) a certain heritage railway in the south of England took around 30 years to re-assemble all the land it needed for a six mile extension (and a future 2 mile branch, for that matter), starting in the mid 1970s and only getting the last pieces in the mid 'noughties. :) The process was doubly complicated because the land had been divided down the centre of the trackbed, and in many cases there were different land owners to the left and right.

Tom

5. ellisteph12

ellisteph12 New Member

Really interesting read on all the progress and future plans for the L&B, looking forward to coming down soon and have a look. Good luck to all..

6. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Member

Maintenance supervisor
    http://railways.national-preservation.com/narrow-gauge-railways/22036-lynton-barnstaple-railway.html
    Its all in the narrow gauge archives search Paracombe in the search box top right or go to this link I think it will fairly well answer your question http://railways.national-preservation.com/narrow-gauge-railways/22036-lynton-barnstaple-railway.html

7. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

lynbarn58: Thanks for the info and link. Most interesting. Good luck!

regards

8. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng
  9. Kempenfelt 82e

Kempenfelt 82e New Member

Intresting link! Although I don't think the parcel of land in the advert includes any trackbed. The parcel of land in the advert is that which is outlined in pink on picture 4 (29.8 acres). The parcel of land which includes the tracbed is that which is outlined in dark blue (42.3 acres). There is also another parcel of land outlined in orange (4.09 ha, can't see the acres equivilent). I'm guessing that all 3 parcel's of land are being advertised? (Sorry I haven't had a chance to check the site to confirm this)

With regards to the grant I think it's fantastic news! 2 heritage coaches almost finished and another 2 on their way, the futures looking very interesting for the L&B! Add to Lyn to the equation and it's a very different L&B to that of only a few years ago, excellent work chaps and chapess's!

Also for anyone who hasn't realised, there's a temporary website that is providing very regular updates whilst the main site is being updated. The link is as follow's.

http://lynton-rail-blog.simplesite.com/

If this temporary site is a sign of things to come with the updated website then once again it's another significant and impressive step forwards IMHO!

Best wishes to all involved!

Paul

10. Kempenfelt 82e

In addition to my previous posting i've just checked the site for other property for sale. The parcel of land outlined in dark blue (42.3 acres) is for sale at £210k which has the majority of trackbed and the parcel of land shaded orange (4.09 ha, or 10.1 acres) has been sold subject to terms and conditions for £60k. Interestinly both adverts recognise the presence of the trackbed and recognise it as good access to the rest of the land in question.

Kind Regards

Paul

11. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

I'm fairly sure that at least one (if not both) of those sections have recently been acquired by the L&B - see here

Keith

12. ilvaporista

C.Eng
    I think that the section purchased is separate from these lots, the land identified for sale is close to Blackmoor Gate station.

13. Kempenfelt 82e

It is indeed a different but similar looking parcel of trackbed. The map at the top of this link should help.

Killington Lane to Blackmoor Gate and Wistlandpound with Maps & Photos | Lynton_&_ Barnstaple_Railway

The section of trackbed that has recently been purchased is between paracombe bank and rowley cross. The section that is up for sale on Rightmove is at the next crossroads down the line in the closs proximity of Blackmoor Station. In fact it looks as though the land for sale would ajoin the proposed station site. A useful point of reference for both maps is Rowley Barton, that should help identify the position of the land.

Kind Regards

Paul

14. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Apologies! It does look similar!

Keith

15. Old Kent Biker

Old Kent Biker Member

ex IT Consultant
    Thanks for your kind comments regarding the L&B website, Paul. I'm sorry to disappoint you, but although there will be some improvements immediately noticeable when the new site appears, it won't be quite as advanced as the temporary site is! It was decided fairly late on that we couldn't leave people without any updates for a period of several weeks, but didn't want to continue updating the old site while developing the new one and transferring data, so I started trawling around for what was going to be a simple blog page (hence the domain name).

I picked simplesite basically because it a) was one of the first I found, b) was quick to set up and maintain, c) had some interesting features, and d) was FREE!

Whilst it does look good, in the background, it is quite restricted in the amount of control we have over it, so it will be thrown away after use (once we've transferred the recent news items over).

The new platform will allow us to develop the website moving forward, and photo galleries is one thing we will be researching early on, but don't expect too much in terms of slideshows, music or games and puzzles to start off with! :)

16. ilvaporista

C.Eng
  17. Old Kent Biker

Old Kent Biker Member

ex IT Consultant
    Well, that's another part of the jigsaw put back together. It isn't all of the trackbed land that was mentioned earlier in this thread (it may even be an extra section not originally discussed - I'm not sure at the moment), but the purchase of this section, through a timeshare arrangement for the two residential properties, also includes 6.5 acres of land and agricultural buildings for railway use, so the plans for a new Blackmoor station, workshops etc. are being amended to take advantage of the extra space that is now available. A sign that the L&B's intentions are being realised. Discussions are continuing on various other sections of the trackbed, so keep an eye on the L&B website for more news as it comes...

Of course, if anyone is looking for a week's family accommodation timeshare in the Heddon Valley, I believe there are still a few available :)

LYN and the coaches were also mentioned earlier in this thread. Coach 11 is progressing well, and due for delivery later this year. The 762 Club LYN project, is also proceeding apace, and delivery in December 2015 is the target.

Some photos taken last week:

image002.jpg
    1 Coach 11 being assembled in Essex
    IMGP0486-500x333.jpeg
    2. Coaches 7, 16 and 17 approaching Woody Bay behind PILTON (owned by the L&B)
    IMGP0587-500x333.jpeg
    3. The three Heritage Coaches, this time hauled by ISAAC (Privately owned)

028_(1024x768)-500x375.jpg
    4. Some of the assembled components for LYN (much more, including the boiler has already been completed)

18. cncmodeller

cncmodeller New Member

Industrial Modelmaker
    I will be interested to see the New build coaches in Southern livery as in reality its very dull and does not match the bright green of the Locos, I think the current livery is gorgeous and it is itself an intermediate livery but with the coat of arms which I think is a wise decision. They have not become slaves to the original time line history which is always difficult as one has to pick a 'time'.

Graham.

19. Old Kent Biker

Old Kent Biker Member

ex IT Consultant
    It may be some time yet before any coaches are out-shopped in Southern livery. As you say, they will look dull by comparison, and the red/white does show up well against the local landscape.

For some historical perspective, as I understand it, the coaches were originally (1897) supplied in "Terracotta" with "Salmon Pink", lined, upper panels, with garter transfers on three doors each side. From the first repainting (which took several years, starting in 1901) coaches were outshopped in "Indian Red" with unlined "creamy" (possibly appearing creamy due to the varnish used) white upper panels. The lining and garters were dispensed with due to cost, which couldn't be justified against the line's income.

The current L&B, is using this second livery, but with the garters, which can be afforded by the current operation - hopefully a good omen for the future. Note Coach 17 - which was built in 1911 - correctly, does NOT have the garters fitted.

20. Jamessquared

Slightly surprised to hear SR livery described as dull, as in my opinion it is a very attractive livery. :) It is "lifted" by lining though - were the original L&B carriages plain green in SR days?

Also, I assume the original "terracotta and salmon pink" livery was the same as LSWR livery of the time?

Tom