If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Lynton and Barnstape Railway Members and Friends

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by lynbarn, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Gwenllian2001

Gwenllian2001 Member

Retired
    Please explain .........

Meic

2. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    It always desends into someone calling someone something, and them retaliating, then someone complaining about someones English. TheEngineer has since edited his post though. But still, I stand by what I say, this is a forum, not a School playground!

3. MartinBall

MartinBall Guest

If he's edited it, I dread to think what it was like before! :)

4. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Member

Maintenance supervisor
    I removed the section about Trolling and "Controlling" debating which you might be, and invited you to comment constructivly on 762 club instead seeing as you promote close links to it.

Is this all you have to say that is constructive for all the readers.

For a University profesor ( if that is what you realy are) this is a demonstration that the worlds education has little hope if this is your gesture.

5. MartinBall

MartinBall Guest

world's education - you missed the apostrophe.... :)

6. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    Neither has the engineering industry if this is how current practitioners express themselves in English.

7. lynton&barnstaple

lynton&barnstaple Member

The 762 club already has an excellent website and gives regular updates on progress. I see no purpose or reason to repeat it here just to give The Engineer and his organ grinder's monkeys the opportunity to go trolling again.

I always understood 'silable' was a communicable sexual disease rather than anything to do with words. Perhaps 'The Engineer; should consult a doctor urgently.

8. Old Kent Biker

Old Kent Biker Member

ex IT Consultant
    Andy, as nobody has actually tried to answer your question so far, I'll give it a go:

Assuming that the "circular" you refer to is the Lynton & Barnstaple Railway Newsletter No 35 (like "Trackbed Trails", it does have a title), I believe you may be mixing two seperate items to draw your conclusion that "membership is down".

Under the heading "membership Items", it was stated that 200 members have yet to renew for 2010. Although I don't have any official figures, with a membership of around 2,500 I suspect this "churn", of 8% is well within expected norms for any organisation of the sort, and historically there are always a number of members who for whatever reason, don't renew, or are late 9 in making their payments (as I did last year, much to my chagrin!). During the period since the membership year began, there has been a steady stream of new members joing the Trust. I'm sure that this will continue, and that by the end of the year, the Trust will have seen a measurable increase in membership.

Under a later heading: "2010 Season", the Newsetter states "this year had a slow start and reports from local tourism offices and hotels etc indicate that visitors numbers [sic] are significantly down on last year" I feel sure that this is an indication of the general financial climate, and similar results have been reported among most tourist venues, throughout the country, including those in the heritage railway sector. The item also goes on to comment that recent numbers have "improved dramatically", so I don't think we need worry too much at this stage.

I hope that helps to explain, although please do bear in mind that I am not expressing any official view by the L&BR Trust!

There are also several positive items in the Newsletter, which you could have mentioned, but I won't spoil it for anyone who has yet to read their copy. :)

9. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    The '762 Club' does have an excellent website but membership is a little pricey! Good look to them. I also searched for 'silable' on Google and didn't come up with anything, not sure what that might mean.

10. MartinBall

MartinBall Guest

Orion -
    you do not have to buy a full membership to support the 762 club. If you look under sponsorship you'll see there are many items that can be sponsored from a few pounds to a few thousand pounds ....!
    PS I like your movies!

11. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

I'm a neutral in all of this so have so axe to grind, but I am an interested observer. I'd point out that the 762 website doesn't seem particularly up to date (unless it has been updated in the last week or so), and as I've noted before, progress doesn't seem particularly commensurate with the amount of money reportedly raised. If you are trying to drum up support I'd expect there to be a lot more news anbd evidence of progress.

12. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Thank you 61624, I was abotu to say the same thing...the 762 Website hasn't been update for ages, the last piece of news arriving quite a while ago!

I wish we could all get along and just like the L&B, not bicker amongst ourselves and fight our private wars with eachother!

13. TheEngineer

TheEngineer Member

Maintenance supervisor
    Thank you for the last 4 posts, to each reader in turn, who has contributed positivly, toward the topic and questions.

Martyn you have some very relative comments and thanks for trying to provide an answer.

Orion thanks for your input esp Google , I have not heard of the previous description either, but then there is lots I have to learn on gramar and spelling none of us can be expert at all things some struggle to acheive even a little in life..

61624 you share my view and that of others, generally thank you.

L&B yes the 762 web site does explain some aspects but not much seems to change, and we are all aware of some re structuring with reference to funding and I am curious how and when the first move will be made to indicate construction has started.

Oh and seeing you just posted Spud your comments also are very well received

14. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Thats alright :D

I too would like to see more news coming out of the 762 site, would certainly drum up more support, atleast I think so!

Can we all get along now please :D Peace and Love!

I deal with bickering and politics everyday at work! Lets all chill-out on here!

15. Old Kent Biker

Old Kent Biker Member

ex IT Consultant
    I agree, there has been very little change to the 762Club website for some months, although co-incidentally there have been a few minor changes in the past few days.

As has been mentioned, there are changes to the organisation structure being planned, and these will be announced on the site as soon as possible, along with any related news that is passed on to me. In the meantime, anybody with any information about the original loco (especially photos) or who would like to contribute to the website, please get in touch with the webmaster (that's me!).

If you wish to join or contribute to the project, or ask any questions directly of those leading the project, they can be contacted via the site.

16. Axe

Axe Member

Retired (Electronics Engineer)
    The 'Lyn-ometer' has been stuck on 32% for some months now. The word on the street is that the sale of new memberships has stalled. Is this true?

Ah yes, the rapid deletion of the 'Gift Aid' information !!!

Why, what's going on?

Chris

17. Old Kent Biker

Old Kent Biker Member

ex IT Consultant
    The figures you have seen on the website are up to date, although there has been a great deal of work undertaken in the background. Again I would say, if you want to know more, ask the officers of the group, via the website. I'm sure they will be happy to bring you up to speed with the latest situation.

See the Exmoor Associates thread for a little background - around posts 25-30.

What else is going on?

I understand the cab for LEW is being constructed at the moment, and is scheduled to appear at Woody Bay for the Autumn Gala, along with LYD.

18. lynbarn

lynbarn Well-Known Member

Working in the NHS as a Maintenance Electrician
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Hi all,

While being a member of the 762 group I got all of this from the latest newsletter

I hope the cab of LYN will be at Woody Bay, as I hope to be standing it telling everyone what is happening; yes the group is being restructured at present and we need to get that right as we cannot possible rush this if we do then we shall be back to square one, the ‘new’ owning group needs to have some democracy in place and I have made my suggestion to those doing the restructuring.

Items continue to be gathered together for the project, and a new set of works drawings are being worked on, modern steam technology will be used through out in this new build with the use of a higher boiler pressure to allow for these changes to work.

The project will be using technologies that have been produced by L D Porta and other modern steam engineers.

For more information about LYN please go to the LYN Forum

regards

Colin Rainsbury

The locomotive will be built by the preferred builder Patrick Keef on a stage by stage basis once construction has started.