If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Lyd

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by SpudUk, Nov 6, 2009.

1. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

F&WHR Spin Doctor
    Yeah. What do we know? We've only been building them since 1879 - and that one's still running.

2. TonyW

TonyW New Member

Yay! The sheer bloody-minded arrogance of the FR is alive and well!

My suggestion was that the assembled throng may not wish to hang around for several hours waiting for something to happen. Watched kettle never boils, and all that. Or is this just a ceremonial lighting-up on an already warm and in-steam loco?

3. Jark91

Jark91 Member

Why are you back-tracking? There's no 'sheer bloody-minded arrogance', you made an unnecessary criticism and got called out for it.

4. MartinBall

MartinBall Guest

It beggars belief that every time a heritage group builds a new loco or extends a line or whatever, some mealy mouthed monkey has to come on a forum somewhere and whinge about it .... :)

5. TonyW

TonyW New Member

Hang on a minute...

The "What do we know?" comment is nothing other than sarcastic arrogance. Knowing the people who are building Lyd, I do not doubt that it will be anything other than a fine machine and there is nothing to suggest in my original post that I did.

My original point about standing around waiting for hours for something to happen is valid, in my opinion. If you light a fire in a cold loco at 10:30 in the morning what exactly are you going to see? Not much, I would suggest. It would be at least a couple of hours before Lyd could even blow its whistle. On that basis, my follow-up question about what exactly is happening (from cold, or a warm loco) is also valid.

6. 48DL

48DL Member

its a bit like having a go at the railway in Shropshire we are not allowed to talk about (tongue firmly lodged in cheek).

IF Mr T's comment was meant to be a sarcastic remark I do not think it to be very professional.

7. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    All this complaining and moaning is detracting from what is an exceptional railway project!

8. SillyBilly

SillyBilly Member

Student
    Which I believe comes with its disadvantages, the FR has fabricated cylinders in use, I'm sure if they were a much better option than casting they would have atleast fabricated the new Fairlie cylinder block.
    Another thing to remember is the chappy who started the project is very 'proper'.

9. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

Yes I am an active volunteer
    I think this point could have been dealt with quite simply - the engineers at Boston Lodge have had quite a lot of experience building and maintaining 2ft gauge locos - is yours greater?

10. MartinBall

MartinBall Guest

It could *OF* been !!! :)

11. MartinBall

MartinBall Guest

Ahh, but I was supportive of that unnameable endeavour until it became obvious that all was not what it seemed (wherever and whoever that might have been...) :)

12. meeee

meeee Member

Actually to be really pedantic it's 1869 but that one was only 3 1/8" gauge and lives in a pub. Of course this has nothing to do with this thread that seems to have taken a turn for the worse.

Tony is right people aren’t going to hang around while it brews up. But I know of at least one contraption that could distract them in the meantime.
    Tim

13. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

F&WHR Spin Doctor
    Quite possibly the only pub in the world with two steam locos dating from the 1860s inside?

14. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

When Lyd does enter service (a fine achievement) it will settle one way or another a couple of niggles in my head. Firstly, will it be able to pull the skin off a rice pudding (based on the exceedingly modest loads permited on the L&B). Secondly will it prove to be a rough rider (based on published accounts).

On the haulage capacity issue, the replica has significant differences from the original, so we shall see. I understand that certain modifications have been made to the leading and trailing trucks as well.

The recreated Taliesin echoes the reputation of her prototype by being a fast and smooth riding machine. However another resurrection, the LBR Baldwin, has proved a surprise by turning out to be an immaculate rider. The rail at Leighton Buzzard is somewhat heavier than the locations which gave the Baldwins their reputation which may be the answer. If so, the crews of Lyd, also to run on heavier rail, may not need travel sickness pills after all!

Paul H

15. plat 9 Brighton

plat 9 Brighton New Member

tba
    In or on a steam loco some where in the world part
    Ng 15 can't wait and won't wait it's coming see for update. http://www.ng15-134.co.uk/

16. Corbs

Corbs Well-Known Member

I actually would love to see Lyd finished, always had a soft spot for the L and B engines.

17. SillyBilly

SillyBilly Member

Student
    Ye it's coming, last week they got another stud out of one of the cylinder blocks!!!

18. lynbarn

lynbarn Well-Known Member

Working in the NHS as a Maintenance Electrician
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Getting back on track with LYD I can wait until the visit to North Devon happen, as I am sure any niggles will have been sorted out by then

19. SillyBilly

SillyBilly Member

Student
    Even with the little niggles it'll probably be good enough to operate trains at the L&B, hope they've got some decent oil and an air compresor ready.

20. AndrewT

AndrewT Member

F&WHR Spin Doctor
    I feel sure the team working on 134 would like to thank you for your encouragement and support, William.