If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

LT Q stock

Discussion in 'Diesel & Electric Traction' started by MellishR, Nov 14, 2018.

1. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

The LT Museum is appealing for cash to restore the three 1930s surviving Q stock cards. The link at http://news.ltmuseumshop.co.uk/u/nrd.php?p=vy0dMUMW87_35789_4349148_2_ redirects immediately to Virgin Money Giving. (I am posting this purely for information: I have no connection with it and have not decided whether to contribute myself.)

2. Paul.Uni

Paul.Uni Well-Known Member

I see that a donation of 25 grand will restore a brake van. I guessing the restoration will be of Brake Vans B583 & B584, which would allow the Q Stock to be hauled on preserved railways.

3. stephenvane

stephenvane Member

The intention is to restore it to working order and run it on the underground network under its own power - not preserved railway use. Not sure what the relevance of a brake van restoration is.

I’d be more inclined to donate if it was the standard stock being restored, but still a worthy cause.

4. Miff

Miff Part of the furniture Friend

I believe the brake vans are indeed intended for haulage off the LT network. There has also been talk of battery power using a rebuilt A-Stock trailer as a battery wagon.

5. Paul.Uni

Paul.Uni Well-Known Member

The update in the latest LTM friends magazine states that they are not able to fit the new signalling equipment into the unit. They looking at operating the unit on a heritage railway and operation on parts of the LU with the traditional signalling system is still planned.