If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

LSWR Urie H16 new build proposed?

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by OldChap, Jun 20, 2019.

1. martin1656

martin1656 Part of the furniture Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    There is also a spare tender frame at Ropley, or was, the one originally with 499, was found to be heavily corroded and an ex bogie tender frame later used as an Hampshire engine test rig, at Eastleigh was purchased as a replacement tender chassis,

2. ady

ady New Member

Postffice
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I think that was more down to Woodhams of Barry. All of the S15's now preserved come from that yard. Back in 1966 I believe there was an attempt to save 30836 that last to see use but a lack of money got in the way.

Well that ends that then. A H16 is a worthy engine but I not sure we ever seen one again...

3. Steve

Steve Part of the furniture Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Trust Tom to put a spanner in the works.;)

jnc likes this.
  4. 8126

8126 Member

I must admit, I watched the video with some trepidation. You see, the ULS has always seemed to me to be a relentlessly sensible society, looking after a couple of un-glamorous but highly effective goods engines from possibly the most pragmatic CME of the 20th century (I do not feel qualified to comment on the 19th), all on relatively modest resources and generally by doing a lot of the work themselves. The interpretation in the first post made me think they'd thrown away all that good sense and launched a new build project. Having actually watched the video, I don't think that's what's happened at all...

Although it comes across as narration to lots of nice footage (I particularly liked the scenes of 120 and 506 together in Southern green), I think it's almost a question and answer format, with the questions edited out. So:

1. Who are you and what do you do?
    2. What's your history?
    3. What have you been up to lately?
    4. Future plans?
    5. Dreams?

Overhauling the spare boiler to get 506 overhauled quickly next time round comes under future plans. Since she's had such a thorough going over this time around, you'd expect that a basic bottom end overhaul would be the limit of other required work, with no nasty surprises, so the boiler would probably be the critical path. Doing it first gets her back out sooner earning income for the society, which is good.

Building an H16 seems to be to come under dreams, if they somehow found themselves at a loose end with not much to do on 499 and 506, nothing to do with overhauling the spare boiler at all. And yes, if you had the time and money, and wanted to build a Urie engine, an H16 would be a relatively sensible choice (as sensible as any new-build project can be considered to be). They do have a different boiler to the 4-6-0s, described as a D15 boiler with a slightly shallower firebox (and I'm sure the ULS know that), which puts them firmly in the highly sought-after class 4 tank territory, but with basically the same cylinders and drivers as a Urie S15.

So a smaller boilered S15 tank engine, which will pull anything on a heritage line. Their downsides (short-ish valve travel and dubious bunker first running at speed) don't really matter in a heritage line context, and they kept their Urie look throughout their lives, so presenting it in different eras would be just a coat of paint. They expand the surviving Urie family by more than an H15 would, seminal as that design was.

All that said, I didn't get the impression it was a serious dream, but everyone's permitted a bit of fantasy every now and then.

Swan Age, 35B, Johnme101 and 2 others like this.
  5. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Quite. The precise quote, in full, is:

“We’d love to build a new version of that. It will probably never happen, but that is the Urie dream”. ​

That’s it: five seconds at the end of a five minute video. Which is a long way short of “we’re going to build a new loco”!

Tom

ady, jnc, 8126 and 4 others like this.