If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Lottery Dreams for investing in Heritage Railways

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by toplight, Aug 29, 2017.

1. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    So could Mallaig!

2. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    Given all the uncertainties about the future - BREXIT and other issues, as much covered storage as I could fund

paulhitch likes this.
  3. Jeff Albiston

Jeff Albiston Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    I would do something similar, but I would go all over Britain first to visit & photograph all the heritage lines here, then I would move on to places in Europe where steam still exists.

4. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Restore Queen Maeḋḃ to running order and take her on an extended visit to Victoria and South Australia.

ghost likes this.
  5. The Green Howards

The Green Howards Nat Pres stalwart

Layabout
    It's sad, but I always think if I won the Euromillions Lottery (can we participate in that now?) - which I don't do anyway - how could I best give the money away to the benefit of the various restorations, new-builds and societies.

Well, dreaming is free.

6. JMJR1000

JMJR1000 Member

You know it's funny I was thinking on this recently, just for fun, and came to a form a kind of possible list of potential ideas of how I'd contribute to the Heritage Railway scene. Admittedly though in most cases it would be under the assumption I had won a pretty sizable amount and thus give me the means to do such expenditure, especially seeing as for the most part my ideas wouldn't be existing ones.

I list them from the most sensible to quite ambitious ideas, and of course under the assumption that even if I were to remotely possibly have such finances, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't do ALL these ideas but more likely just do one or two of them.

1. Fund the full restoration to steam of the Adams Radial Tank and/or Stepney on condition it/they act as a roving ambassador(s) for the railway visiting many places and in various liveries of it's/their long history.

2. Purchase the surviving LSWR T1 Boiler and have a complete T1 built to be based at possibly the Swanage Railway.

3. Negotiate the acquisition and repatriation of Terrier A1 Waddon from Canada, and restore it to steam in it's SECR guise, having it travel all over in that gorgeous livery~.

(Things get wild from here...)

4. Purchase U Class 31806 from Mr Bunch and have it retro rebuilt back into it's K Class tank form as No. A806 River Torridge, still base it at Swanage.

5. Construct TWO new Adams O2s, one to be based on the IOWSR in the typical form they'd be in over there, and the other in their mainland form. So nobody's left out there.

6. And finally purchase the Tunbridge Wells West railway station and surrounding land, gifting it to the Spa Valley Railway as well as funding the station's complete rebuild back to it's former glory, with maybe the new build T1 and/or Terrier Waddon with some appropriate vintage carriages to go with them. Probably while I'm at it purchase the original Groombridge station building as well as fund the Eridge run-round loop project too...

I'll stop this madness now, the WIBN meter no doubt going off the charts!!

(Oh and one other idea to add, have replica of Hunslet Beddgelert built and based on the L&B, while giving the railway as a whole a big financial backing in their extension plans.)

7. The Green Howards

Layabout
    At the risk of thread derailment, one thing I'd want is my own LNER J70 in full Wisbech and Upwell Tramway fitment.

8. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    We do need a "when I win the lottery" thread, wouldn't you say? (I'll decide what to do with mine on a round the world cruise .... these things shouldn't be hurried!)

jnc and 240P15 like this.
  9. JMJR1000

JMJR1000 Member

Well as has been said before, this forum is writhe with folks always going about WIBN subjects, so perhaps having such a thread would be nice for folks to go channel and vent off their dream ideas!

A certain group of individuals may well welcome such an idea, if only to stop people from daring to speak of WIBN subjects on the supposedly more serious and sensible other threads on this forum mind you...

10. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Whats that?? the sound of sirens :eek::eek: It's the WIBN Police coming to get you :)

11. Mark Thompson

Mark Thompson Well-Known Member

That could almost have been my own Euromillions wishlist, with the addition of:
    1)- A new build LBSCR D1or D3 tank.
    2)- Funding the restoration of an SECR birdcage set.
    3)- (big, mad stuff)- rather than an Ardingly extension, rebuilding the LEGR south, meeting a hopefully rebuilt Lewes- Uckfield line at Barcombe Junction :)

Jamessquared likes this.
  12. flying scotsman123

flying scotsman123 Resident of Nat Pres

13. The Green Howards

Layabout
    Oh -I'll add "...and fund the restoration of all the foreign locos at the NVR".

I'll shut up now.

14. Richard Roper

Richard Roper Well-Known Member

Librarian
    Mods, Can we have a separate thread for Lottery dreams please? It's an area worthy of discussion, but as I've also contributed to the derailment of the P2 thread recently, I don't want to derail anything else!

Richard.

Mark Thompson and JMJR1000 like this.
  15. johnofwessex

johnofwessex Resident of Nat Pres

Thorn in my managers side
    The obvious question your round the world cruise raises is will it be on your new build Manxman or Bristol Queen?

Richard Roper likes this.
  16. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

If you want a separate thread for lottery dreams, you are most welcome to start one :)

Richard Roper, 30854 and 2392 like this.
  17. MattA

MattA Member

I seem to recall reading another thread on this forum where it was suggested that, in its early days, BR offered to sell one of its ex-IoW O2s to the SVR. The folks at the SVR didn't take up that option...

18. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

If I won the Euro millions, or the lottery, i would donate a large sum to my favourite railway, but would add strings, such as it has to be used to employ and train apprentices in both the Boiler shop and the carriage works, if an old favourite, needed a new firebox, i would possibly buy the materials, so a new firebox can be constructed, so the only cost is the hours and expertise to rivet it all together,
    I would also donate to SLL, enough funding to do 35025, and the cost of examinations, fitting mainline equipment and dual braking ,

johnofwessex and 240P15 like this.
  19. Bikermike

Bikermike Well-Known Member

oooohhh...
    Build the line back to Ramsey, and a couple of Mannin copies
    I think the boat has been missed, but a couple of PCC-style metre-gauge trams from the continent to allow year-round running on the MER
    I think they would probably eat up all but the biggest wins...

the boring and sensible option would be to invest it all to create a foundation for greater resilience for preserved railways

johnofwessex likes this.
  20. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

If I won the euromillions I would embark on a programme to turn the NYMR into a beacon of all things NER/LNER/BR(E). I'd build replica A8, B16. B17, L1 and V3s (the B17 is needed for an apple green engine for the main line teak carriages. And arrange for either the new build G5 to be based there or a second engine built I'd look to build up and restore a mixed NER, Gresley/Thompson non-corridor carriages, and I would look to build up and restore a proper freight train of LNER wagons.