If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Locos in Canada

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by Eagle1711, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Eagle1711

Eagle1711 Well-Known Member

Electrician
    The other two as started in Cliff Thomas's book are owned by the Matthews Family in ontairo or alberta Canada......there was a picture on the net awhile ago showing them and a few more engines....in A barn...but not in this country im afraid. They have not been touched since they left.

2. Eagle1711

Electrician
    Any dare ring him? 905-889-1770 ive google mapped the address and looks like an industrial estate....no doubt its not his home address. But im sure by the picture taken or aquired by cliff thomas that the picture was in a shed at his home address

3. marshall5

marshall5 Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Are you referring to Nesta and Cegin currently in Puerto Rico when you say "the other two"?

4. Locomotion

Locomotion New Member

Danny you are a bit late they have been bought, see HR withall the secercy bet Mr Rampton got them

5. Eagle1711

Electrician
    I meant as in quarry hunslets king of the Scarlett's and Michael, have these been sold?

6. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Yes - they have been sold and are returning to the UK. See post #43 in this thread from 03/07/12 and briefly mentioned here

Keith

7. leslie dawn

leslie dawn New Member

Hi there - I joined this group to reply to this message :) I live about 5minutes from this fellow's place. It is in a very interesting area, a semi rural feeling little pocket of older , and storage yards for building supplies etc. Almost like going back in time to go there as it hassomehow escaped the development all around it. The place itself it really interesting looking and there is an old rusty locomotive sitting right out. I am doing research on the area and am planning to go see if |I can talk to the owner and I will report back here. I will also take pictures if I can
    cheers Leslie

8. houghtonga

houghtonga Member

Chartered Engineer
    Hi Leslie,

Just to give you some background. These locomotives very small by Canadian standards and were exported to Canada between 1959 and 1965.

"Michael" (built by Hunslets of Leeds in 1932) from the Dinorwic Slate Quarry in North Wales
    Hunslet Lady Joan - Built for Dinorwic Port
    (looks like this one)

"King of the Scarlets" (built by Hunslets of Leeds in 1889) from the Dinorwic Slate Quarry in North Wales and named after a racehorse.
    Hunslet Cloister - Built for Dinorwic Quarries
    (looks like this one)

Liassic (built by Peckett of Bristol in 1923) from Rugby Cement Works in England. Originally unnamed it was named "Vicozoic" by its driver, it was later renamed "Liassic" after a sister loco that was cut up in 1943.
    Triassic Peckett 1270 current B.L.Rly fleet
    (some information on the railway and one of its sister locomotives now restored)
    Industrial Railways: Peckett 0-4-0ST 'Liassic' is seen standing outside Southam Cement Works on 27th October 1956 - Warwickshire Railways
    (here is an actual picture of Liassic herself in 1956)

And there is also a tiny locomotive without a name built by Kerr Stuart (of Stoke on Trent) of a design known as a 'Wren'
    Kerr Stuart 0-4-0ST 3114 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    (looks like this but we understand it has lost its roof)

The Dinorwic Slate Quarry on Vimeo
    (an award winning documentary on the Dinorwic Quarry)

The Slate Industry of North and Mid Wales* Dinorwic Quarry in 1967
    (pictures of the quarry railways in 1967 - two years after the locos "Michael" and "King of the Scarlets" were exported.

Cheers,
    Gareth

9. Baldopeter

Baldopeter New Member