As often mentioned it is a tragedy that the two broad gauge locos were cut up a Swindon in 1906; in fact six or seven locos were 'preserved' by the GWR over the years. However the tendency were generally to keep interesting locos as 'curiosities' without any real thought of 'heritage'value or any intention that they should be kept for ever. Back in 1863 when locos were numbered upwards as additions were made to stock the oldest standard gauge loco the GWR would ever possess, Chester & Birkenhead Rly "Touchstone" of 1840, was, exceptionally renumbered 1 and this tiny, ancient, 2-2-2 remained in stock until 1873. Even then it wasn't scrapped but set to stationary use. In 1871 "North Star" was famously preserved at Swindon, until cut up in 1906. In 1881 the former Llanelly Rly "Victor" was acquired when the Carmarthen and Cardigan was taken over. The strange appearance of this Fossick and Hackworth loco with high inclined cylinders was sufficiently interesting for it to be preserved until 1889 even though never taken into GWR stock. In 1883 the broad gauge South Devon 'coffee pot'was put on display at Newton Abbot as a curiosity where it fortunately didn't seem to get in anyone's way and still survives. In 1884 "Lord of the Isles" was preserved at Swindon, perhaps as a tribute to it's designer who was now Chairman of the Company. Again lost in 1906. In 1885 George Armstrong preserved Shrewsbury and Chester 2-2-2 no 14 of 1847 at Wolverhampton, apparently being his favourite loco when he was a driver. It was sadly scrapped as late as 1920. Finally in 1946 the GWR actually purchased a loco specifically as a museum piece, Wantage Tramway "Shannon" of 1857 to display at Wantage station. It seems that station platforms were the only places where antique locos were safe on The Great Western!