If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Loco Mileages - 2021

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by ykin01, Jan 6, 2022.

1. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Mr Fairlie himself would be well pleased too.

2. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I suspect so too. From what I've read, James Spooner (i.e. the original loco of that name) was a pretty significant improvement on Little Wonder, itself way better than the double ended contraption with a single firebox supplied to the Neath & Brecon Rly.

3. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Not quite Victorian, but the H class at the Bluebell (built 1904) has twice in recent years gone over 7,000 for the year, the peak being 8,740 in 2015. At one point I thought it might hit 50,000 for its ticket, but Covid and a protracted intermediate overhaul that saw it out of use for a year has put paid to that, but it will still be over 40,000 when it bows out next month. A lot of that will have been hauling the dining trains, which are reasonably heavy (140 tons) up reasonably steep and sustained gradients (1 in 75/60/55 for about 8 miles on each round trip). Not too shabby for a loco of that vintage.

Tom

ragl and black5 like this.