If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

LNWR Coal Tank

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Stewie Griffin, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Stewie Griffin

Stewie Griffin Member

Has anyone got any updates on the progress of the overhaul of the 'Coal Tank'? Tried to have a look on the website dedicated to it and while there were a lot of nice pictures, there wasn't a great deal in the way of hard information.

Many thanks.

2. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    Very slow and very steady

Nunlow jumped into the queue so that didn't help and the BLS boys are always first in line when lifts are required so 1054 is not coming fast.

Then there was the state of the lower firebox and those girder stays in the roof .............

3. Stewie Griffin

Stewie Griffin Member

Ta Frank, good to hear the old girl's plodding along.

4. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    Just an update

The lift last week was to remove the cylinders so that the state of the frames in that area could be assessed.

The result is that the frames in the cylinder area are a write off, being down to one eigth of an inch in places, and a new cylinder block will be needed as the old one is not re-usable.

She will be as good as new after this overhaul, and not be hiding any 120 year secrets any longer.

5. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    One loco I'm really looking forward to seeing back in action. I only saw her run the once on the KWVR so my sound and picture archive is a bit thin where 1054 is concerned.