If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

LNER Teak sets

Discussion in 'Heritage Rolling Stock' started by guard_jamie, Mar 28, 2012.

1. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I (and no doubt others...) have been thinking about the recent 8-coach teak train that operated on the SVR with the use of 7960. My question for those in the know is: to anyone's knowledge, has any longer train of LNER teak carriages ever operated in preservation? If it has, I'm guessing it would have been at the NYMR, possibly during their Gresley 100 gala when they had the SVR teak set visit?

2. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Not sure what the load limits are on the Moors but the longest teak rake I've seen a pic of is seven.
    I'm sure I read somewhere that the eight on the SVR was the longest teak rake to run in preservation.

3. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    Whatever the longest has been, if it was more than 7, it would be on the SVR. The NYMR Teak set was 7 including the Thompson CL and GNR Invalid saloon. The CL is now back in BR Maroon (quicker to do while being tidied up last Easter for use at the Spring Gala and better represented the livery that this CL and otehr wore in service on the early NYMR or late BR use). The next 2 Teaks due out are another Thompson (a TK - 1623) and the Gresley kitchen car originally converted from a TK for the Royal Scotsman. That will see the ex-Embsay Kitchen (a former TTO) converted back to an all seat coach - not sure if the owner has fully decided which diagram yet. After 1623, I believe the current plabn is to tackle the Thompson CK 18477, which is complete but in poor structural condition.

There are LNERCA members on the form who will be able to correct any errors on this.

The NYMR Teaks and SVR set ran two separate diagrams at the Gresley 100, supplemented by 2 Thompson's from Bo'ness and the Howden saloon from the Bluebell, as well as Stephen Middleton's 6 wheelers from Embsay.

At the time, the NYMR had 6 Chocolate & Cream mark 1s which went to the SVR to cover for the 6 teaks we had. I would imagine this allowed a few rare photo opportuinities but have never actually seen any pictures of the WR set on the SVR.

Steven

4. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

At the time of the Gresley 100 Gala, when five of the SVR's Gresleys visited the NYMR, I think there was one ECS working of all-LNER coaches that ran to nine coaches, albeit rather disappointingly hauled by a Class 24 diesel. I don't know if any photos were taken as the train ran in heavy mist and it would have been imopossible to get more than the loco and the first two or three coaches in shot!

5. Southernman99

Southernman99 Member Friend

Guard_Jamie. In a few years time the SVR will be able to run a complete 9 coach LNER teak set once the 4 compartment brake is finished.

6. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    It will indeed, and I look forward to it. However it will be special occasions only, as 8 is the maximum for ordinary day to day services due to loop length at Hampton Loade. Also of course, 7960 is not appropriate for service in an ordinary set.

7. 61624

There are currently 19 LNER teak or Thompson coaches in the LNER collection (not including full brakes) with three more approaching completion to add to the 7 operational examples. Sadly, one of those three is under restoration at a private site and the NYMR has decided that it doesn't want it, but there is still scope to form the longest teak train by a long way on the NYMR as things xcurrently stand.

8. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    Cannot accomodate the 24 seat brake with 12 to 24 months work still required, which was the situation presented to the Trust Board when they were (rather belatedly) asked if the vehicle could, when complete, be based on the NYMR. The resolution specifically said the matter could be reconsidered when the restoration was complete - I know, I was the proposer! As far as the NYMR is concerned, the need to to increase the seating capacity of the existing set,w hich is currently about 100 setas less than the same number of Mark 1 coaches.

Steven

9. 61624

I wasn't going to go into the details behind this, but since you have raised the issue, how does th position you describe differ from "doesn't want it"? Your proposal was actually meaningless! It was made clear that completion at its present location wasn't feasible. If completed elsewhere it is obvious that the host would want the use of it once complete. Nor is it going to gain any extra seats in the process of completion, it will still be potentially a 24 or 32 seat brake 3rd, same as Mk 1 BSK. Without arm rests it can seat either 6 or 8 per compartment, just like any Mk 1 can with the armrests raised.