If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

LMS Patriot Project Updates

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Gav106, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Well done! This will get my vote!

2. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

Right a few more pics for those interested.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Frame stretchers and one of the webs for the crank axle. Both have been done. The pattern has now been cast (these pics are a week old now) and the fourth frame stretcher pattern is in the process of being made (it might be done by now).

Gavin

3. Kinghambranch

Kinghambranch Well-Known Member

Retired
    Awesome! Many thanks for posting these pics! New builds, will they ever succeed? Well here's some more evidence to show that this one will! Come on!

4. knotty

knotty Member

Outstanding! Gladdens the heart!

This build is steaming ahead (pun intended). Gav, do you expect for the 'Unknown Warrior' to be completed ahead of schedule? I understand the date is set for 2018 but as a layman, judging by your society's progress thus far, it appears to me you're capable of steaming well sooner.

I made a small donation to this build last month. I'll certainly have to make another in the very near future.

5. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

Oh i would love to have that option, but we have a huge amount of money to raise first. Its possible if we can get enough monthly donors. Can you afford just £5 per month? if we can get 500 people to do that thats, £150,000 from now till 1016, +£37,500 in gift aid. If our sales stand can continue to do 12k per year for those 5 years thats another £60k. Thats only half of the boiler. So you can see we need more donations, more ideas for fundraising, to keep the money rolling in. Any ideas? lol

6. knotty

knotty Member

Gav, I'd love to establish monthly donations but given I'm self-employed and therefore live month-to-month and given that I already have 3 projects which I donate to as I can afford it I'm reluctant to establish a regular deduction scheme at this point in time. Moreover I'm presently trying to build up the capital needed to found a workshop and business. The outlay for this I estimate will amount to £30 to 40,000 for tools and materials, excluding other expenses. However I can promise to make periodic donations (£15-20) as I can afford it.

As to suggestions on how to procure more funding especially in these days of belt-tightening, I'm at a loss. Besides, far be it for me to tell you how to go about fundraising as an armchair observer. I've been following the progress here and it certainly appears to be that you're going the right way about it. If I were to have a suggestion, could perhaps more be done to raise the profile in the mainstream media thereby attracting greater interest from those only casually interest in railways? I'm sure the success of Tornado has opened an opportunity for there to be more mainstream interest in another significant resurrection of an extinct class. The Patriot certainly deserves that profile and equal status with the A1.

7. Foxhunter

Foxhunter Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    That is where the A1SLT got it right, establishing the core income flow is vital to all these sorts of projects (in fact ALL projects!) and nothing is more valuable than someone donating £5 or £10 a month, you just need a lot of 'em!

Foxy

8. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

Well believe me that will help and many thanks for doing that.

I would love to do more media stuff but its how to get into that. I did mention about the charity text messaging that 82045 have just started. I would love to somehow get on north west news about the project as its our intention to build the boiler in crewe (north west) and Llangollen is on the edge really. Or even midland news as we use a lot of the boro foundry. I do think as soon as were built we will be in the national press alot as the Leader of the legion will name our loco. And being the National Memorial loco we will be attending a lot of events to do with the forces. I hope to haul the help for heros trains as it would be very appropriate.

As for events we currently try to take our sales stand to Steam galas, model railway shows, steam railtours, the odd 1960's event, and we have done a few beer fests. But some railways dont let you attend etc so it can be hard to promote and get people to meet us.

9. 82045MS

82045MS Member

Membership Sec. 82045 Loco Trust
    Got it in one Foxy. 82045`s regular income allows us to plan ahead with expenditure and we try to encourage standing orders - any amount is welcome- it all adds up. Just think, if one million people gave £1 each - the jobs done!

The begging bowl will be out this weekend at the SVR Peep Behind the Scenes. All contributions welcome!

Regards

10. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Suggestion:

Why not auction seats for the first train (or maybe first day of operation)... leave the auction open for an extended length, say a year.

At the end of the Auction award the seats starting at the front in 1st Class down to the back of the last carriage, in order of amount bid.
    This way the highest paying 300+ bidders are guaranteed a seat on the first train proportionate to what they offered, and a long period of sustained publicity to steadily improve the price.
    Don't forget you can always set a reserve price, which you can adjust to suit demand.

If it's successful you could probably repeat the exercise for it's first Main line run as well.

11. Foxhunter

Foxhunter Member

That would be 'scum class' then? :peep:

Foxy

12. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    You would need to pitch your bid just right on the main line run since 'scum class' would be at the front on the return. :smile:

13. Foxhunter

Foxhunter Member

Unless they turn the whole train!

Foxy

14. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

Right looks like its running from Minehead to the new triangle for its first train.

Seriously tho, although i love the idea of auctioning the first train tickets, were talking years away yet. would people wait that long or do you mean this could be done in a few years?

15. huochemi

huochemi Part of the furniture

Did you get it then?

16. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

Well we won the chimney. Not the whistle as it went for to much money. Oh well. As soon as I get a picture ill up date.

17. Thompson1706

Thompson1706 Part of the furniture

Retired
    Well done in getting what is probably the only unrebuilt 'Patriot' chimney to survive. As for the whistle , any Fowler whistle ,such as off a Jinty , will do.

Bob.

18. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

Well we thought that might be one of the only ones left, then quite out of the blue a gentleman on friday at the Llangollen steam gala came up to us and said he has an "Original" patriot chimney. Quite random as we hadnt heard of any then two in two days.

Yes i suppose your right about the whistle. And although these items are nice there only small fry in comparison to everything else we need to buy/make.

19. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    It's not a Fowler whistle on a Patriot. Looks more like an LNWR one. The whistle was mounted horizontally from the cab front plate.

20. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Gav have you looked at you PM's recently??