If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

LMS Hughes Crab 42859

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by SpudUk, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Re: L.m.s Crab 42859

I know which one I'd back to take 6 up to the Cauldon branch ;)

2. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

Now be careful as in Railways Illustrated from years back, the one which is on Patriots and Claughtons, it does talk about an Original Pat taking 14 up shap unassisted
    lol

3. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

World of difference between hitting Shap at speed and setting off from a dead stand at Leekbrook Jn.

4. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

There is always 42700 at the nrm... It also is knackered, but substantially complete.
    i'm sure the NRM would welcome a sugar daddy for it, it has after all run in preservation.

5. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays

According to the late John Bellwood, the two most kn*****ed locos at the NRM are Coppernob and 42700. Whether true, or not, I don't know.

6. Crazy Train29

Crazy Train29 New Member

Night Receptionist

id like to see 42859 steam again but also dont forget about the many GWR 2-8-0s and Bullied pacifics yet to be restored, but my pick would be 92219 at butterly. another engine overlooked, and she was the engine built before evening star. its intresting the patriot is mentioned, wasnt the fowler tender currently being restored at barry originally behind 42859? or was it the ELRs crab? im confused lol

7. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

We have the tender from the elr crab. I suppose the rarity of lms crabs is what attracts people to it. There are countless gwr 2 8 0s and bulleids already in steam or in the overhaul Que. Where as we only have the east lancs crab. As the Nrms is unlikely to steam in the next few years, if ever.

As for other unrestored Barry hulks, its the gwr 72XXs I'm looking forward to steaming.
    Gav.

8. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

Yes, I've had that from others too, and having been all over the loco formerly known as 2700, it is VERY tired and not in the queue anytime soon.

9. MuzTrem

MuzTrem Member

When? (And before anyone asks, yes, I have tried Google...)
    Personally, though, I take the view that 13000 is fine where she is, securely kept undercover and very well-presented in Crimson Lake. Whereas 42859 will only continue to deteriorate unless something is done.

10. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman

It was on the KWVR in the late 60s/early 70s. I believe the main issue then - apart from it being knackered - was with the sanders.

11. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
  12. MuzTrem

MuzTrem Member

13. guard_jamie

Signalman

News in the latest SR magazine points to 42859 being on its way to Sellindge at some point in the near future, in the care of the same people conducting long term restoration on 35011. This can only be good news for 42859's survival and eventual restoration.

14. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

You are joking right? best way to kick start 43859 would be to sell it to a group who can afford to restore it and put the money into 35011 have you ever been to Selinge? its just a field and a tent , until such time as they have a proper workshop building all they will be able to do is to clean up the parts and paint them unless you think its acceptable to work in the open when its blowing a gale, raining or flipping cold

15. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

Perhaps Sellindge is more secure than the present location on what is now an industrial estate in Lincolnshire.

In its favour you can say that it is an LMS mixed traffic loco that would see Heritage line use if restored, but is going to require someone with very deep pockets. Compared to unrestored GW and SR engines out there, it does have some rarity value, and --if it floats your boat, it could be painted in LMS crimson! 13000 at the NRM looks quite stunning.

16. guard_jamie

Signalman

I don't know if you have some beef with Sellindge but surely you would agree that it going to a place where there is active restoration - of any level - underway is better than sat in Lincolnshire doing damn all.

And of course, don't connect a lack of amenities with inability. Pulling two out of my head, both Port Line and 42968 were largely restored to working order outside in all weathers with minimal equipment.

17. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

No i dont have any beef with Selinge, i used to help out there, its basic, very basic, but they dont have the facilities you would expect any site to have and no its not secure either, its best use is as a storage site and generally only work on sundays so its going to be a very slow job, and the people i know are not that young either so that in its self creates problems , in the early days, yes we all restored engines under tents made from boiler tubes, but then we all had youth on our side in my view, the best thing would be for the group who own the engine to raise the funds from selling either the crab and restoring 35011 or selling the MN and restore the crab

18. irwellsteam

irwellsteam Member

-

Maybe I'm being hasty (wouldn't be the first time!!) but aren't they being a bit premature in taking the crab on? From what I can see on their website, they haven't really got started on 35011 yet, just cleaned her up a bit in the 2 and a bit years she's been there.
    Even if the money is there, how adept are the facilities of R Moffat and his team for a job that size, as I understand it they'll be using his services.
    Any progress on Antwerp since she showed up?

(genuine inquiry - not trying to belittle anyone btw)

19. guard_jamie

Signalman

Fair enough Martin, apologies if I was a bit short. There are lots of preferable outcomes, but I think pretty much anything that doesn't involve a gas axe is an improvement on 42859's current situation!

20. TenWheeler

TenWheeler New Member Account Suspended

Do we take it that the Martin Butler posting on this forum is not to be confused with another Martin Butler who is a volunteer with the group restoring 4253 at the K&ESR, one of the facilities of which is a building with a canvas exterior that looks remarkably like a tent.

Coinicidentally, the other Martin Butler also used to have a presence at Sellinge..... cont'd on page 94

_______________________________________________________________________________
    BTW - I don't know and have never met either of them. A friend of mine asked me to post this.