If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Llangollen Spring Steam Gala - 19th-21st April 2013

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Flying Fiver, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Robert Heath No.6

Robert Heath No.6 Well-Known Member

It's interesting that Llangollen are apparently so strapped for cash as to have to charge for this info. Last year I wrote to the railway with regards to potentially organising a photo charter, requesting a ballpark figure for doing so, and nobody even bothered to reply. If times are so hard, it might be worth talking to the customers who are approaching you, let alone trying to appeal to new ones!

2. Flying Fiver

Flying Fiver Member

The landslip and snow have not helped us much up to now. Did you chase up your communication with a phone call/email?

3. Flying Fiver

Flying Fiver Member

4. 49010

49010 Well-Known Member

Gentleman of Leisure
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I'm looking forward to this event, although the lack of a timetable at this stage is a frustration for me - I do like to plan my moves in advance. Also, I assume that it won't be possible to travel on the freights? (That's one of my favourite ways of travelliing through the valley, especially through Berwyn tunnell!)

That said I can't wait to get back to the Dee valley - I should be down on Saturday. What is the latest position on the extension to Corwen - in terms of mileage and also the appeal?

5. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

A taster of the Steam Railcar, with trailer, in action (photo courtesy of George Jones);
    [​IMG]
    image by martinperry77, on Flickr

6. Steve Sienkiewicz

Steve Sienkiewicz Member

Retired
    Is it possible to find out in advance the timings of the Railmotor departures from Llangollen/Carogg please? Anyone interested in attending the railway specifically to ride on the Railmotor might reasonably be expected to have this information in advance. Apologies if this info' is elsewhere and I've missed it.

7. RA & FC

RA & FC Well-Known Member

Hi, it leaves Llangollen at 9am each day. Friday it does various shuttles, mostly Glyn - Bonwm and back, but also does a couple from Llan - Glyn and back. Saturday and Sunday it does several trips from Glyn to Bonwm, with the run from and to Llan at the start and end of the day.

8. Steve Sienkiewicz

Steve Sienkiewicz Member

Retired
    Many thanks, much appreciated.

9. Flying Fiver

Flying Fiver Member

As RA & FC says, 9am each day from Llan. On Sat/Sun it leaves Glyn for Bonwm at 16:15 and the return is the full length to Llan arriving just after 17:30. In between it does several runs between Glyn-Bonwm.

Ooops said too much again. if we had more time you could probably get the T/T out of the pair of us :) but the gala starts tomorrow, so please make the journey, plenty of trains and tours of the sheds to see the various projects going on.

Don't think Fr8 travel is an option unfortuantly.

Mileage up the extension is much the same as last year I think

10. 8A Rail

8A Rail Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    What a sad state of affair in regards to the website, advertised a Gala, but do their best to limit the information! That does not exactly encourage people to attend especially from other parts of the country. As others on here have stated, unless you are on this forum or know someone in the know, it is hard work trying to find out what loco's are doing what, whether passenger or not, any double headers and also lack of any basic timetable information.

I understand the need of any railway to maximise their revenue and all for it but they must provide suitable "carrots" to the enthusuiast / public including good advance information and providing some basic timetable info / loco rota and that will encourage people to attend even for part of the day. As a suggestion, may be the railway should make the Gala (& other future special events) timetable / loco rota available via the website but with the facility to pay the norminal £1 or whatever by using "Paypal" for example. That way both parties will be happy and solves a problem?

From my point of view, I've not been to the railway for a long time and with "Tornado" on the Coast on Saturday, thought about attending some part of the day especially to see 80072 (I'm a share holder) and Railmotor coaches but with lack of suitable information, it is hard to plan anything what so ever unfortunately. I stress I have no problems in paying for some information but making it only available on the day, is not the way to do it. Just imagine running the BIG railway on the same basis, you wont get many people travelling because they got no clue what times any trains are running - ok, a little over the top perhaps but it is the same principle though.

In the meantime, thank you to RA & FC in attempting to address the problem on here but clearly you are under orders!

11. Thompson1706

Thompson1706 Part of the furniture

Retired
    Nice clear & warm weather forecast for Llangollen tomorrow. I'm running the buffet car on the 'blood & custard' set (along with the wife), so if anybody wants to say hello they will be very welcome.

Bob.

12. RA & FC

RA & FC Well-Known Member

It's been a lovely day here today. Most trains looked very busy. The railmotor has been pretty full, but late running all day! Most issues with not being able to fire when it's moving, and nasty killock coal!

Had a cracking 2 trips this morning firing the very noisy standard tank. And a full day of firing it tomorrow :)

13. mickpop

mickpop Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    Hope no-one had washing out on the lineside - the railmotor was putting out a fair amount of clag, I assume the random stops were due to the firing issue? For train chasers there was single file traffic between Glyndyfrdwy and Carrog due to tree felling by the roadside but I'm guessing they won't be there Saturday.

14. acw71000

acw71000 Member Friend

15. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

16. Waterbuck

Waterbuck Member

17. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
  18. acw71000

acw71000 Member Friend

Thanks very much for your kind comments, glad you enjoyed the video.

19. 8A Rail

8A Rail Member

I visited the railway this afternoon, first time in a long time and trains more or less ran to time give or take a few minutes. Yes, there was sunshine but also quite a bit of cloud too - no surprise for the Dee Valley - getting the Railmotor in sun was impossible and not much clag from the loco's either - too warm would you believe! No problems picking up a timetable along with a suitable donation too - as that was the only way I could contribute in the circumstances.

However, what surprise me (or is it shock), that unless you purchase a "day rover" ticket and still paid the £5 supplement (may be I did not read the publicity on the website correctly?), you could not travel on the Railmotor / Auto Coach combination! I must admit I had plans to ride it along with my wife but to actually cost me £50 for the privilege as that would be been the only ride of the day for us both - as you appreciate, it was not going to happen! I can only imagine this was a way in restricting numbers to travel on the combination which is understandable but I have the feeling the same people may of been riding that all day in the circumstances? However, that meant £5 supplement for each round trip for that to happen also? Please dont get me wrong, I was happy to pay the usual round return journey from either Glyn or Carrog to Bonwn and the £5 supplement but to purchase a day rover is over the top sadly. Visually, it was hard to see if the Railmotor / Auto trailer were full but was every journey full in the circumstances? If so, the policy was / is justified but I suspect many people were deprived from riding it sadly because of this stance? Was there a better way in the circumstances?

Anyway, regardless my thanks to all the people and volunteers who gave up their time and also turned out to make it happen.

20. 981smithy

981smithy Member

Footage from an excellent gala.

[video=youtube;R2dvaQh44kw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2dvaQh44kw[/video]

Thanks.