If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Llangollen shed newsy news

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Broomhalla, Mar 31, 2008.

1. RA & FC

RA & FC Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Competition for which railway has the most trailers then. We've got 3 at llan, only other contender I'd say is SDR??

2. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

So is this 3 64XXs at Llan with llans 3 Autos, 3 hired in Autos...... and might as well get the GWR steam railmotor set! Hmm what an interesting gala!

MatthewCarty and Matt78 like this.
  3. Barry Buckley

Barry Buckley New Member

Is anyone able to confirm whether 6430 is fulfilling the scheduled turns over the next couple of days? Thanks.

4. Thompson1706

Thompson1706 Part of the furniture

Retired
    The boiler was back in the frames last Saturday, but I think that the rostered turns were a bit premature.

Bob.

5. MatthewCarty

MatthewCarty Guest

Can anyone give an update on the current situation of motive power, as it seems the low point of only one loco available is over.

6. RA & FC

Slowly coming out of that. 5199 and 3802 currently available for traffic. 45337 is being put back together after having new piston and valve liners. Shouldn't be too far off now. 6430 is now in the final weeks of its 10 yearly overhaul, again shouldn't be too far from running. 80072's boiler has had all (or almost all) of the copper stays removed, and new ones are in the process of being fitted. 7822's boiler is still plodding along. New throat plate has been fitted, i think the foundation ring rivets have been refitted, and is currently being re stayed.

Most of the hire fleet is back home now having work done. Jennifer is having full overhaul, following which will be Austin 1 requiring foundation ring rivets renewing. Jessie is currently out and about across Europe, and Moorbarrow is up at the Yorkshire Dales.

MatthewCarty and Kempenfelt 82e like this.
  7. Jimc

Jimc Part of the furniture

Once computers, now part time writer I suppose.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    And, if you ignored minor details like regulations and needing a weight lifter to operate the regulator, you could have a double 'headed' auto train...
    sorrylionheart1.jpg

(apologies to Lionheart models and Railway Modeller for a) butchering their photos and b ) doing it so badly!

flying scotsman123 likes this.
  8. MatthewCarty

MatthewCarty Guest

Thanks for the reply, it sounds like there is a possibly of 5 locos available by the end of the season, and hopefully by the time 3802 has come out of service 7822 will be ready!

9. Gav106

Gav106 Well-Known Member

45337 group have always said that if there is enough locos at Llan they will go on hire to another railway. I beileve their contract with Llan is only until july.

10. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

11. Barry Buckley

Barry Buckley New Member

Is someone able to give an update on the current situation with 80072's boiler? I was also wondering when 3802 is due out of service (it must be soon now, but before or after the autumn gala?), as I will probably come down for a last run before overhaul! Is the plan to start the overhaul immediately or wait until contract work is low? Also, is there any more news on the progress of 7754, 5532 and 5539. All three of these will presumably be ideal for most work on the line and will be great to see all three for the first time for me!

12. RA & FC

80072's boiler is in the process of being hydraulically tested. Ideally be finished and running again by the end of November.

3802's ticket runs until October i believe, but is on an extension so like most things that isn't a guarantee and every day is a bonus.

7754 - Bottom end is pretty much complete, just waiting on funding to do the boiler.

5532 - plodding along as ever. Bottom end is almost finished, and the tanks have been ordered.

5539 - Now in Barry for work to be continued by one of our fitters who has recently moved south.

45076 and MatthewCarty like this.
  13. black5

black5 Well-Known Member

Theatre
    I see from the Great Central's newsletter 'Jinty goes to Llangollen and Barrow Hill'. Presumably this is the second visitors for the September gala alongside 5542?

14. Thompson1706

Retired
    Correct.

Bob.

black5 likes this.
  15. MatthewCarty

MatthewCarty Guest

Enjoyed seeing 3802 for the last time for a while today! The loco really has grown on me the last few years, especially in the current black! I was wondering if anyone on here could confirm my thoughts on the ownership? I seem to remember it is owned in part by the railway and part by other individuals. The other question I had was: Are there funds in place for it to go into overhaul straight away, or will there need to be some time to get funds from the railway/owner(s) (unless it is going to be a long project like 7754)? Apologies for this long winded question!

16. Thompson1706

Retired
    There is a lump of cash available now, but probably not enough to cover the cost of the overhaul. The amount of work required is yet to be assessed.
    In the works yesterday our staff were fitting the extension frames to the 47xx.

Bob.

17. ykin01

ykin01 Member

I went to The Epping & Ongar Railway yesterday where I saw Jennifer who has completed her overhaul & gone there on hire from the Llangollen Railway Trust until January 2016.

Below is a photo I took of her leaving North Weald with the first steam service of the day.

DSC03052A-min.JPG

al4466 likes this.
  18. nick813

nick813 Well-Known Member Loco Owner

Hello,
    You need to check your photo links!
    This links back to a weird mock date May 7.

Nick

19. MatthewCarty

MatthewCarty Guest

I can see it fine?! And it's nice to see her steaming again!
    ee I

ykin01 likes this.
  20. Thompson1706

Retired
    Llangollen shed was a hive of activity on Saturday. I can't remember ever seeing as many volunteers working in the shed at the same time. The 80072 group were in the final stages of putting the loco together following its boiler stay repairs, & they're aiming for mid-November completion. The 7822 group were putting the small tubes into the boiler ready for the full time staff to expand them. The 6880 group were getting the boiler from 7927 ready to move from Pentrefelin yard up to the shed yard & the 5532 group were also working. It was good to see a number of younger members (under 30) joining in.

Bob.