If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Liverpool Road and the Ordsall Curve.

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Guest, Mar 23, 2011.

1. MarkinDurham

MarkinDurham Well-Known Member

That and possible litigation, almost certainly... Madness...

Mark

2. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    Cost! It's an expensive business splitting and putting together trains. Extra staff etc.

I can also remember in the days when trains could be shunted around with passengers on board Mum having a cup of tea spilt over her. It's all very well for people to go on about H&S providing you're not the victim.

Regards

3. andrewtoplis

andrewtoplis Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Does this have something to do with ideas of 'the value of time'? I know with the IEP project it was thought that changing over from an electric to a diesel loco (or indeed running round, which was thought to take 20 minutes) were seen to take far too long and the value placed on this waiting time meant the cost benefit studies favoured a multiple unit rather than a loco and carriages...is something similar going on here, that the time taken waiting for the second portion then coupling the two trains up is seen as the problem rather than health and safety?

Just an idea.

4. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

How ? With the units we use today it requires a driver to press a button to shut the doors, stand up and look down out of his window, press another button and gently move forwards..
    no need to jump onto the track etc..

5. MarkinDurham

MarkinDurham Well-Known Member

Aye, well, with all due respect, one time we had a thing called 'common sense', and even 'normals' were aware that there might be bumps & jolts at stations, with locomotive changes as well as splitting/joining coaching stock. I also very much doubt that anyone with an iota of savvy would complain about sensible safety stuff - the problem is that these days it's gone too far the other way, and there are also those who use H & S as a cop-out...

As mentioned upthread, joining/splitting/loco changing still goes on elsewhere without folk being unduly inconvenienced...

But we digress ;)

Mark

6. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

I don't think its quite the same issue, as the IEP was always expected to be a multiple unit - the controversy has been over the adoption of bi-mode units for running away from the wires instead of loco haulage based on dubious claims of the extra time it would take for coupling operations etc.

In fact joining and splitting IEP units will actually be quite common with a large proportion of the GW fleet made up of 5-car trains, though that too has proven controversial as such operation is arguably better suited to commuter operations where passengers and staff can move between units.

Chris

7. andrewtoplis

andrewtoplis Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I didn't mean it was quite the same thing, I was trying to illustrate the idea that time spent waiting and joining two trains was being counted as a 'cost' against this practice.

Hope that makes sense.

8. Christopher125

I see what you mean, indeed anything that adds to journey times represents a cost which has to be justified.

Chris

9. jonathonag

jonathonag Well-Known Member

Railway Engineer
    There is still a fair few splitting and joining of trains today. I can't say off the top of my head the times of the trains, but I know of on

TPE : On some train, the Edinburgh and Blackpool North service run together between Manchester Piccadilly - Preston ( and vice versa ), joining and splitting from Preston.
    I'm sure I've also experienced a regular joining of the Ex-Glasgow Central / Ex- Edinburgh services at Carlisle.

Virgin : Few services operating between London - Holyhead run as a ten car/2 set Voyager as far as Chester, the front portion running on to Holyhead. I experienced that only once certainly on 08/12/12, but London to Holyhead isn't a journey I often make.

Arriva : Also for Holyhead bound trains, several run as a 4 car 158 service as far as Llandudno Junction, where it splits in half, with the front half continuing to Holyhead.

Scotrail : All DMU West Highland trains ( Class 156 ) split at Crianlarich, with one portion to Oban, the other to Fort William. They then join ln they way back down to Glasgow.

That's what I can recall so far. I'm sure there are more examples....

10. dggar

dggar New Member

As this thread is called Liverpool Road and the Ordsall Curve do we need to talking about joining and splitting trains.

11. dggar

dggar New Member

Some very interesting photo's here

High Camera Ltd

they are copyrighted so please respect that

12. brasso1

brasso1 New Member

The MOSI line has been reconnected. Tonight it housed a burnt Class 47...

13. daveannjon

daveannjon Well-Known Member

The HS2 Phase2 entry to Manchester Pic is on the north side of the present lines, may be why the old Midland curve could not be used for the Northern Hub.

Dave

14. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Doesn't look like mayfield road will ever see use again then... Why not dismantle it and rebuild it at Castleton Yard.. The ELR could have the first preserved mainline terminus ?

15. Christopher125

I'm pretty sure the Manchester Hub study (which recommended the Ordsall Chord) pre-dates HS2 Ltd's work on a Manchester Terminus, i can't recall any mention of a conflict with a possible terminus affecting either the Midland Curve or the Ardwick Flyover and they were ruled out for other reasons anyway.

Chris

16. 504

504 New Member

was connected well before christmas. 47 500 now inside liverpool rd MOSI untill monday ish.

17. Allan Thomson

Allan Thomson New Member

Re: Liverpool Road and the Budget

Sounds a bit like Pender that....

Maybe if they're pushed for space they could return our engine to us?.....

18. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Please don't feed the troll.
    If everyone ignores it.. Maybe it wil go away.

... Where's my Mod hat ?

19. Allan Thomson

Allan Thomson New Member

Speaking as someone who regularily travels between Liverpool and Newcastle, I have to say the longest, most drawn out bit is always the West East/East West bit of the Journey.....

20. Allan Thomson

Allan Thomson New Member

Throwing your weight around then?

I find it amusing that a site which commemorates the birth of a transport revolution should object to the furtherance of that transport revolution, particularily as the aspects of ensuring no listed structures are damaged appears to be well taken care of.

Perhaps when they are unable to run planet they could sectionalise it and put it in the place of Pender?.....