If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Lineside Photography and Personal Track Safety

Discussion in 'Photography' started by frazoulaswak, Jan 27, 2014.

1. jonathonag

jonathonag Well-Known Member

Railway Engineer
    Not only that, but you may have watched a train pass you, going from A to B...but the engine has failed just outside B. On a railway such as our own that operates a one train system, the token is then driven by road from B to A to allow a rescue engine to attend the scene. That means two trains have travelled from A to B in succession. And that isn't a timetabled move.

2. pennysteam

pennysteam Well-Known Member

analyst computer programmer
    so walking into tyraffic just before the traina arrives is just as safe as after it passed?

3. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Sorry, I don't understand your point. I was simply making the point that if you think that trains on a single track line follow a strict up/down/up/down sequence, you are likely to put yourself at risk facing the wrong way and failing to spot a train coming up behind you. To which I'd also add that many railways run trains over and above the published timetable; they could appear at any time from any direction.

Tom

4. pennysteam

pennysteam Well-Known Member

analyst computer programmer
    I did say obaying all the safety rules, my point was moving after the train has passed reduces the risk, I wouldn't suggest skipping down the 4 foot or not keep checking etc, trains brake down, trains terminate etc. Going back to KWVR on single train day there always the chance of maintenance train turning up, point is there are safer times to change position than others. Just like crosing the road at quite time of day intead of the rush hour.

5. michaelh

michaelh Part of the furniture

Very comfortably early retired
    Or in the USA and Australia where main lines are unfenced.

6. Hurricane

Hurricane Member

Does anyone else think that it simply comes down to some railways wanting to control who is going to be wandering around all over their line.

At the end of the day the railway has a responsibility to anyone on their property and needs to demonstrate that they have mitigated the risk of injury (slips trips falls etc) all the way to death. Trust me the paperwork is a nightmare!

7. Snapper

Snapper Member

Photographer
    Quite. A comprehensive medical that includes sight & hearing tests, drug and alcohol, then a full two days training with an exam at the end of it (plus another two days if you want to work on HS1). Let's say around £600 for the course minus HS1...

Of course, that's if you can find a sponsor.

8. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Don't need to think, they have to as part of their Safety Management System that is now a requirement of all heritage lines. Should anything happen to a photter lineside, one of the first questions asked will be "Did they have permission to be there?" not far off being followed by "Were they competent to be there?"

The amount of paperwork required to be put in place nationally for such a small minority of individuals is just too much, and whilst local agreements like the Strathspey/Bo'ness may work for them doesn't mean it will work for all.

Hurricane likes this.