If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Lindum Fayre - 9/12/17

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Big Al, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Enterprise

Enterprise Part of the furniture

Astonishing how inferences are drawn from nothing.

I was not on the trip. I have no knowledge of the running except what I have read on NP and RTT . I am happy to accept that the crew did an excellent job. However, I do not accept that the Scot decided not to steam because she felt like it. There will be reasons why sometimes a locomotive steams well and sometimes not.

Sometimes, one of my old bikes won't start. There is always a reason. Fuel, humidity, temperature, wrong mixture, wrong ignition advance, mechanical or electrical failure since the last run, etc. etc. There is also always a solution. Steam locomotives are the same except there are probably more parameters to consider.

Dobbs0054 likes this.
  2. Victor

Victor Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Retired
    You asked "why do you feel the need to defend the crew". It's my opinion that nobody was defending the crew, they were handing out a bit of praise and if the crew have done a good job in possibly difficult circumstances............there is nothing wrong with praising their efforts

3. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    But...and to help you understand my point when I made it the first time.....some locomotives are more amenable than others and despite the fact that I have even been on Braunton when it struggled to steam because of rubbish coal, this Scot (as distinct from any other Scot) does seem a little sensitive. It's done it with a DB crew and now with a WC crew. It's a discussion forum for goodness sake not a high level technical exchange about the use of language or the operation of steam locomotives although it can become an insightful forum for the latter when the right people get involved. And here I am thinking of someone like @LMS2968.

4. Enterprise

Enterprise Part of the furniture

This is my last comment in what has become an utterly ridiculous exchange. (Good, think other readers!). I understood your point the first time. I accept that Royal Scot has individual characteristics that distinguish it from other locomotives. There will be rational reasons for this. She didn't think to herself yesterday, "Oh, it's a bit of a miserable day, I can't be bothered to do much.". Royal Scot is a locomotive not a living organism despite the metaphors that we use. There's nothing high level about about this technical exchange and neither is the language being used anything other than elementary. My original comment was that someone would have an idea about what was wrong yesterday. Perhaps @LMS2968 will have an idea. Perhaps someone else will. But if I'm told it was because "it was the wrong time of the month" I shall silently scream.

5. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Oh dear. Adverb after the verb, i.e. scream silently. So much for a university education. :rolleyes:

Johnb likes this.
  6. Will RL

Will RL Member

Just one shot at Grantham

Bluenosejohn, Kylchap and Mick45305 like this.
  7. Swiss Toni

Swiss Toni Well-Known Member

Grammar Police.jpg

Dobbs0054 and henrywinskill like this.
  8. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    60017 and The Green Howards like this.
  9. Kylchap

Kylchap Member

46100 was bowling along nicely through Lincolnshire on the outward trip yesterday. I wouldn't have thought the ECML going south from Grantham would be a challenge for a Scot, considering they frequently stood in for class 8 turns on the WCML. I can't help wondering if the long layover at Lincoln had a detrimental effect on the fire. Does anybody know if she was reluctant to steam on the outward leg?

10. Dexter

Dexter New Member

How do you know that? Were you on the footplate?

Enterprise is exactly right, there will be reasons. Firing involves so many different variables so of course there are times when it doesn’t quite go to plan. Without being there you would never know, maybe he cocked it up but who cares they got there in the end.

peckett likes this.
  11. Big Al

Please stop digging. You've introduced an inference that was neither mentioned or thought of so why even suggest it? Insensitive comment.

12. Dexter

Dexter New Member

Because it’s entirely plausible?

13. Dexter

Dexter New Member

...and because you said: ‘definitely not the crew’ like they are some mythical beings incapable of error. Also, I’m not for a second suggesting that anyone was at fault..

14. richards

richards Part of the furniture

Have you guys finished, or should I just ignore this thread for the next couple of days?!

60017, alastair, MellishR and 3 others like this.
  15. Big Al

You get a good sense of why the bridge and lift had to be built at the crossing at Lincoln as the complicated shunt move is made on Saturday and blocks all pedestrian traffic. After waiting for quite a while in the platform for passengers to de-train by walking through several carriages to gain access, the Scot pulls forward before reversing back into the Pelham Street Sidings.

P1090394.JPG

16. Dobbs0054

Dobbs0054 Member

From the outside looking in: The curse of the shortage of Class 8 Steam Locos kicked in and that substitute locos meant a reduction in steam mileage. We have to accept that the relatively fragile nature of the locomotives in use will cause issues. BUT on this occasion the tour ran. The steam element was pure steam and that is to be applauded. There were some issues with the steam loco which meant that the driver and fireman had to go the extra mile to ensure the Scot completed the allocated leg and they did a marvellous job. Any number of reasons could explain the difficulties they had but the important thing is they overcame them. Maybe a lesson learned from that about the locomotive or the quality of the coal. Who knows. Worse case scenarios would have been last minute cancellation or diesel haulage throughout. To have a significant steam only leg deserves praise.

17. malc

malc Part of the furniture

There was a previous footbridge at that location - it was demolished because people did not use it, preferring to wait for the crossing gates to re-open. The re-sgnalling at Lincoln has also removed the signals further back from the crossing. With the previous arrangement, the loco and support coach could stop off the end of platform 6 which meant that more passenger coaches were on the platform, which made de-training and en-training quicker on a long train.

18. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Part of the furniture

Lincoln is always a nightmare for charter trains. I remember one year we had a lady in a wheelchair in the back coach, the crew had to arrange for the whole train to move forward and block the crossing whilst we helped her off. Whole thing took about 10 minutes which on Christmas Market weekend caused a fair amount of chaos. I think luckily in the evening we may have used the longer platform although I am not sure as I was not involved in helping her back on.

19. Where's Mazeppa?

Where's Mazeppa? Member

Given the problems that locomotive-hauled 12/ 13 coach charter trains arriving from the east (and departing to the west) cause at the High Street Level Crossing, I do wonder why more serious consideration is not given to running the Lindum Fayre, and indeed other charters originating from KGX, in a clockwise direction from Peterborough around the ECML/ Newark/ Lincoln/ GN & GE Joint circuit. I can't recall in recent times such a thing happening with a steam-hauled excursion; maybe I'm wrong about this, but it seems to me to be the quickest and easiest way to make the nightmare go away!

20. Big Al

Going home, from the train arriving to the time that everyone was on board took in excess of ten minutes as everyone had to thread their way across the footbridge to P5 and then half the train had to board in the middle and walk down to the end off the platform.. As it was, we left five late which, according to the Train Manager was a record as usually they get away 15 late. Yes, Lincoln brings with it its own problems.