If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Lewin: The Railway Mania And Its Aftermath

Discussion in 'Railwayana' started by 46118, Mar 8, 2014.

1. 46118

46118 Part of the furniture

Recently picked up a copy of the reprint of this book by David & Charles from 1968, but it does not include any of the maps mentioned in the index. I assume the contents index is as per the original 1936 publication.
    Anyone else out there own a copy of this reprint? if so, does yours have the maps included?
    I cannot see any comment from David & Charles that the reprint omits the maps.

UPDATE: After some research I find that the 1968 reprint did not include the maps that were in the original 1936 publication. I'll leave this post here though in case it answers the question for anyone else!

Thanks

2. Pelton Level

Pelton Level New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    A note pasted to the flyleaf of the copy I have just borrowed form Hampshire Library says:
    "A note should have been added to the list of maps .... pointing out that the maps are not reproduced in the reprint since they would have cost too much in relation to their utility. An atlas in course of preparation will include maps containing the same material in more sophisticated form."
    I don't know whether this atlas was ever published and would welcome more information.