If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Leiston Works Railway

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Luke Bridges, Aug 17, 2011.

1. FearOfManchester

FearOfManchester Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Planning permission granted for relaying of track along the route I hear :)

The Saggin' Dragon likes this.
  2. One more that nobody has mentioned - bizarrely, because it's arguably the most famous of the lot.

How about 10 of the 13-strong RH&DR loco fleet?

3. FearOfManchester

FearOfManchester Member

Interesting things going on at the long shop, the LWR already have a brake van that they've been restoring, sirapite is in excellent condition and the track will be going down not too far into the future, so all they need is an appropriate carriage for passengers. And they have one:

An 1869 GER 514 5 compartment third, withdrawn in 1906, LWR purchased it from a private owner, quite a survivor I'll say, it's grounded at the moment but they have an appropriate chassis for it I believe. Good on them, it'll look fantastic once restored.

IMG_0177.JPG

IMG_0178.JPG

IMG_0179.JPG

IMG_0180.JPG

Photos shamefully nabbed from Friends of leiston facebook page ;)

4. FearOfManchester

FearOfManchester Member

Thought I would revive this thread with some fantastic news:

IMG_0234.JPG

You read that right, the LWR are planning to have the track relaid in time for summer for the 160th anniversary of the railway, an ambitious timescale but the trackbed has been stripped and retaining walls made safe, it is certainly going to be a unique piece of industrial railway heritage having sirapite and its sister blue circle leaving the long shop and snaking down the narrow passage between people's back gardens. More info in the latest addition of steam railway and heritage railway magazine!

jnc, Bluenosejohn, Miff and 2 others like this.