If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

LE movements, ECS and test runs 2023

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by mike1522, Dec 24, 2022.

Tags:
  1. nige757

nige757 Member

retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    44932 seen leaving Carnforth by the old Midland Shed with a strong wind blowing.

30910, sgthompson, osprey and 6 others like this.
  2. Bodorganboy

Bodorganboy Member

3. Oswald T Wistle

Oswald T Wistle Well-Known Member Friend

ESI Eng Manager (Retd)
    Thanks to both of the NP members who sent me PMs with confirmation of the loco. It was a poor day, persistent drizzle and a strong westerly wind. I might not have bothered going out but I had promised to drop Mrs W in Blackburn for a pre-Christmas meet with her former work colleagues (and so I would be almost a quarter of the way to Hellifield - perhaps a "biggish almost"). So Mrs W safely delivered it was next stop Hellifield; with any luck I should be there in time to see 44932 arrive.

[Driving between Gisburn and Hellifield, at Newsholme, NR are involved in some major works. In a field immediately adjacent to the existing rail bridge over the road they are constructing a replacement bridge deck. It looks as though once the existing deck is removed the new deck will be lifted and rotated thro' 90 degrees before being lowered into place. The road is scheduled to be closed for 2 weeks starting 27 Nov.]

44932 was 24E at Settle Jn and when I parked was already down the Blackburn line. As I hurried towards the station she propelled the stock into the down loop - Oswald was just too late! As I got onto the platform, she had uncoupled and was heading off in the Blackburn direction prior to switching to the platform line. I watched the movements, took a couple of photos and attempted a bit of phone video (too much wind noise).

It was a still a poor day the wind, if anything, was stronger and the drizzle continued. There was now just under an hour before she was due to depart. I had planned to go home but a bit of watery sunshine persuaded me to stay. I made my way to Giggleswick station, parked up and ate my sandwiches; nothing exciting - corned beef. I followed it with a Frusli bar then remembered that I had forgotten to bring a flask, I had a bottle of water with me but a warm drink would have been better.

I idled my time away, listening to the radio and fiddling with the sat nav, until it was time to venture out onto the platform. Still some drizzle and a strong cross-wind; looking down the line towards Settle Jn the wind was blowing diagonally R to L from behind. An approach shot would have very little sound until the train had passed, a trailing shot would have plenty of sound but a lens full of drizzle - hey ho! Approach shot it is. I waited in the shelter until the train was due, then out onto the platform. Before too long there was some distant exhaust and 44932 was on her way, she rounded the curve and began to work up the long straight. No sound, much nearer and still no sound, she whistled for the crossing at the end of the platform - barely audible. Then finally a bit of exhaust beat, some clicks from the rail joints and she ambled away up the hill. 10C (but feeling colder), 1E & 27mph.

I was going to add another paragraph about my journey home, then to collect Mrs W and back home again. Suffice it to say it involved a slow moving HGV, a broken down van stuck at some traffic lights, a set of faulty traffic lights and there being nowhere to park when we got home. But on the plus side Mrs W had a good time and I saw a Black 5.

green five, 30910, GreggyB and 18 others like this.
  4. Oswald T Wistle

ESI Eng Manager (Retd)
    Some photographers get "a bit of stick" on here; turning up late, standing in the wrong place and noisy camera shutters. I would like to praise one photographer who did turn up late at Giggleswick yesterday. The train was approaching on the straight, he saw that I was already videoing and tiptoed into position, stood to my left to allow me to pan round (which I hadn't planned to do anyway) AND his camera shutter was on silent. Well done him! He slipped away (silently) before I could thank him.

With the train arriving early at Hellifield and me a little late I didn't get a chance to photograph any smokebox first action. I did snap a couple of pics on my phone as 44932 approached the coaches waiting in the down loop.

IMG_1408.jpeg

IMG_1409.jpeg

And finally "coupled on and ready for the return to 10A" (about an hour later.)

IMG_1410.jpeg

staffordian, Haighie, Victor and 10 others like this.
  5. osprey

osprey Resident of Nat Pres

semi-retired, currently doing R&D for my patents
    Yes..there are still some considerate folk around thank goodness... lovely shots btw...

Shep Woolley, RalphW, acorb and 3 others like this.
  6. Keith Sergeant

Keith Sergeant New Member

Scots Guardsman working 5Z64 (Carnforth to Chester) through Brock with 47804 on the rear.

_DSC3866-Edit.jpg

3ABescot, Haighie, leander and 10 others like this.
  7. Bodorganboy

Bodorganboy Member

46115 on ECS from Carnforth to Chester. 46115 replaced 44932

30910, ragl, nige757 and 5 others like this.
  8. Oswald T Wistle

ESI Eng Manager (Retd)
    Wednesday's weather was all wind and drizzle, yesterday was less rain but much stronger winds and today was . . . dry, sunshine, a northerly breeze but cold - Oswald could cope with that! The moves at Carnforth were late appearing on RTT, as they often can be for ECS moves. There was little point in killing time at home only to find that the train had already set off south and having to rush or missing it completely. I loaded up and made my way to Leyland, parked on the station car park, bought a ticket (timed 12.20) and checked RTT - the train had cleared Barton & Broughton.

The sun said "Oswald, go to the down fast platform", it didn't mention "and risk being bowled". The up platform was the safer option and "Caution" is my middle name. What's that? Oh alright then it's "Taution" (and I think that I'm pedantic!) Today Oswald decided to take a risk and head up the steps, over the wires and down the other side. I made my way to the southern end of the platform where two regulars were already waiting. I say southern end, the "newly refurbished" section is still barriered off as the contractors continue their interminable works.

The two guys were occupying the space nearest to the platform edge so I set-up one space in and a little to the front. A mate turned up and set his tripod alongside me but nearer the platform edge - it all worked fine. One of the regulars checked his phone and announced that the train had cleared Farington Jn, whereupon he left his spot, wandered up the platform several yards and plonked himself between me and the lines. As it seemed an unthinking action on his part I very politely asked him if he would move a little further away from the platform edge and out of shot - which he kindly did.

Very shortly afterwards came the trademark "hiss, hiss, hiss" that marks out one of 10A's Staniers. It was not the expected 44932 that appeared under the bridge but SG. (Presumably, 44932 needed a bit of fettling after Wednesday's test run.) The sun shone and SG gleamed as she passed, the carriages gleamed and even 47.804 shone - the world was a wonderful place. Except, of course, for the guy who had moved and his arms and his phone - hey, ho!

8C (but feeling colder), 9E & 50mph. As I headed back along the platform D1645, Beechings Legacy (LE) trundled south on the fast. I was back in the car at 12.46, if only all outings could be so well-timed.

30910, nige757, acorb and 15 others like this.
  9. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    46115 taking water at Crewe at the moment.

10. osprey

"Stopped for a drink"....thirsty work...

11. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
  12. osprey

green five likes this.
  13. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

It is interesting that it was running in (at least light) steam rather than with connecting rods removed, but not able to get home without help. With conjugated gear you couldn't fix the RH valve in mid gear unless you did the LH valve as well. Could it perhaps have been running at a very short cutoff, minimising valve travel?

14. Linesider

Linesider Well-Known Member

Footage of 46115 at Preston yesterday, working light engine from Southall to Carnforth:

15. sgthompson

sgthompson Part of the furniture Friend

Tobacco manufacturing
    46115 with the very early running ECS climbing Giggleswick Bank.I was setting up as Guardsman was coming down the bank from Settle Junction so very lucky.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2023
    green five, 30910, nige757 and 9 others like this.
  16. nige757

nige757 Member

retired
    46115 being assisted by 47802 with the returning ECS up Giggleswick Bank.

30910, Bluenosejohn, alastair and 8 others like this.
  17. DBLM Dave

DBLM Dave New Member

Flying Scotsman during its Peterborough water stop, en route, after dark, NRM York to Southall

osprey likes this.
  18. D5177_55A

D5177_55A New Member

19. Deepgreen

Deepgreen Well-Known Member Friend

Early retirement! (Ex-Business Improvement, LU).
    I couldn't see a better place for this question. This RTT working has me stumped, for the BBP on Saturday 16th. It shows the stock using p19 at Victoria which is very unusual. https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:U92014/2023-12-16/detailed. It is seemingly for the class 67-hauled BBP Kent 'circular' but the ECS routeing seems very complex for a diesel working. Is it simply to get the stock across from SL to the Brighton side at Victoria? As it stands, Balham will see the Pullmans pass through four times that day!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2023
  20. Romsey

Romsey Part of the furniture

Retired SPM
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The first stage in the problem is that Victoria Eastern is blocked for engineering works. Without checking I don't know how far the block goes on the Chatham Lines and whether the Atlantic (Transport for London) lines are blocked.
    Then there is the question where to stop the BBP at Victoria C. I would suspect that Brlmond would much prefer sole use of a platform without any general public wandering around, so platform 19 is ideal. Also platforms 18 and 19 are the only platforms under the raft over the Central side of the station with extractor fans for diesels. The problem is that there is no route from the Battersea Reversible at Battersea Pier Jn across to platforms 16 to 19. Therefore the trip to reverse at Streatham Hill. where there is time to reverse without impacting on the booked service. Why the side trip to Kenny O was planned I don't know.

Hopefully that explains the reasons,

Cheers, Neil

Paul42 likes this.