If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

LE Movements and Test Runs 2013.

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by belle1, Jan 2, 2013.

1. leander

leander Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Third rail arching has been setting fires on the Southern all week

2. osprey

osprey Resident of Nat Pres

semi-retired, currently doing R&D for my patents

3. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

No I do not currently volunteer
    Actually the vegetation does affect services as why would the tree fellers have been down our way only the other week removing a few fairly young sycamores and birches that were in the cutting? Ironically, it's not the trees that steam engines set alight.

4. charterplan

charterplan Member

Well every year we normally get leaves on the line, which is a danger to any train, but also known to hit the sides of trains too.
    The state of lineside ground which NR owns is not a good sign to any tourist, who wanted to see the lovely countryside,and all you see is shrubs,trees and clutter which should have been removed anyway, when working along the tracks.

5. malc

malc Part of the furniture

Exactly! NR may cut down trees to prevent adhesion problems to normal services due to leaves on the line in Autumn, but they have no need to clear the low level vegetation (which is what is more likely to catch fire) as that is not usually a problem to normal services.

6. Big Al

........except when there is arcing from the pickups of SW trains. But as I said elsewhere, this is a problem that NR has to manage whereas the odd cinder is something they don't. And to quote our Bard "aye, there's the rub".

7. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
  8. 5098

5098 Well-Known Member

UK Steam shows 34046 running E+C from Crewe to Carnforth tomorrow. I have heard that this is to be followed by a test run on the usual Hellifield circuit, but I have also heard Thursday mentioned for both of these events. However, whichever date is correct, it will presumably fall foul of the same steam ban that apparently caused today's SSE ECS to York to be led by a diesel. Not much point in doing a test run with a diesel leading, is there?

So where now for 34046?

9. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

34046 is at Bury,ELR is it not?

10. 5098

5098 Well-Known Member

Sorry, yes, meant Bury to Carnforth.

11. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Vegetation does affect modern traction, as mentioned, 3rd rail arcing causes fires in summer, in high winds tree's fall on the line blocking it, in autumn falling leaves affect adhesion (and braking is more the concern for modern traction in this case than slipping), the last two examples of course having the potential for a nasty crash either by colliding with a hefty tree trunk or sliding past a red aspect into a SPAD and into the path of conflicting traffic (I believe an EMU skidded for over 2-3 miles a few years ago), and from a maintenance point of view, overhanging branches scratch paintwork and in extreme cases can smash windows.

Might rarely be steam around to incinerate it now, but lineside vegetation is as big a menace as ever, I could see Bob Crow having a field day if a big incident ever happens due to one of the above.

12. Big Al

I do have some sympathy for WCR and that newly painted set that will sadly not stay that way if it strays anywhere out of the ordinary. Can't see that going over the Central Wales line in a hurry for example.

13. 26D_M

So where does the reported requirement for diesel behind steam on wcr operations leave the 34046 test run?

14. sweetktg

sweetktg Member

Senior IT Engineer
    From gen: "34046 'Braunton' passes Manchester Victoria 0809 with 57315 in tow to Carnforth"
    The big WCR test loop has also been activated today so guess they're going for loaded test run today too, guess with a box in tow. We'll soon see :)

15. 26D_M

Perhaps the steam ban only applies to passenger workings?

16. royals pete

royals pete Member

So its not just lineside fires which NR are having to deal with now; All services from Waterloo last evening severely affected by distorted rails from heat ! One thing after another. Anyone know why they should distort in this day and age, is it because they're welded together with no room for expansion ?? And what happens if this should spread because no end in sight yet to the heat levels.

17. 5098

5098 Well-Known Member

I can't see any possible justification for that. A full length test train is almost as likely to cause lineside fires as one with a bit of extra weight from the passengers.

What puzzles me is what is gained by doing a test run where the diesel is doing most of the work. I guess it may qualify 34046 for being pushed around by a diesel in the south west, which is all that lies ahead for the foreseeable future. But once the steam ban ends, presumably a real test run will be required.

18. malc

malc Part of the furniture

I guess Braunton's ability to haul a loaded train is not in question as it's worked on the ELR and WSR. It's probably more important to test all of the gubbins needed for mainline running and to run at speeds more than 25 mph. The presence of a diesel would not really affect that.

19. Big Al

True, but only under the weight of 350 tons or so do you get any clues about steam leaks and other mechanical glitches - unlikely with a Riley job but still an important element. Look at the number of false starts with Galatea where the various tests were important before it was sorted.

20. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    Confirmed that 34046 is being coaled and watered on arrival at Carnforth then out for loaded test run