If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Lavender Line Loco Query

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by M59137, May 25, 2013.

1. M59137

M59137 Well-Known Member

Carriage & Wagon
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Can anyone identify the true identity of this Austerity loco that I took a picture of on the Lavender Line many years ago? (see attached scan). Sadly I have lost the date, but it is likely to be in the early 2000's, no earlier than 1998 (as that's when I got my camera) and no later than 2005 (as that's when I "went digital")

It was numbered up as BR 68012 but I'm sure it's an industrial. I know the loco known as "The Duke" now at the EVR was numbered up as 68012 for a time, but I can't be sure there wasn't another one. I presume this one was operational as it looks very tidy as was in the platform but again not sure, it may have been on static display.

Can anyone who knows (or knew) this line thoroughly help??

Attached Files:

2. kieranhardy

kieranhardy Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Think i'm right in saying it is Austerity No. 3193, purchased by the Norfolk Heritage Steam Railway Ltd in 2009 from the Lavender Line. I believe she is at Yaxham undergoing overhaul? Intended for use on the Mid Norfolk Railway once operational.

3. Mark46245

Mark46245 New Member

If you go to the Lavender Line website, you can read a bit about her. She was called "Blackie" and although never a BR loco, she was numbered as 68012 to represent the LNER J94 class on which she was based.

4. s1m0nad

s1m0nad New Member