If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Last Run of the Northlander

Discussion in 'International Heritage Railways/Tramways' started by SG-Canada, Sep 29, 2012.

1. SG-Canada

SG-Canada Member

Land Use Planner
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Today was a sad day in Ontario, the last run of the Ontario Northland Railway's Northlander from Toronto to Cochrane. Aside from an ECS move from VIA's Toronto Maintenance Centre to North Bay which is probably happening tomorrow from the rumors i've heard, the connection between Toronto and the North by Rail is now a Bus Only service (even though the bus service was abandoned recently as uneconomical by the private sector).

I wasn't lucky enough to ride the train today or ever (though i have friends who were on the last southbound), i was lucky enough to catch the last southbound coming into Toronto and en route from Union Station to the VIA TMC for turning.

[​IMG]
    Rounding the curve to come into sight at Pottery Road.

[​IMG]

GP38-2 1809 on Point. "Ontario Northland Not For Sale"

[​IMG]

And the Deadhead move from Union Station to VIA's Toronto Maintenance Centre in Mimico for the last time. The light had completely faded between just enough at Pottery Road and not enough at the Roncessvalles Pedestrian Bridge after a dash across downtown while the train deposited its final patrons at Union Station.

More including afternoon GO Deadheads returning from Richmond Hill to do their second northbound runs: Flickr: Archive of Stephen Gardiner's photostream: Taken on 28th September 2012

Sigh, another short sighted cut to rail services here in Canada from the Province of Ontario to go along with the Federal government's cutbacks to VIA Rail service.

-Stephen

2. athelney

athelney Member

Retired warranty administrator
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Agree - sad day for Ontario & the rest of Canada