If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

L & B INFRASTRUCTURE

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by Meatman, Aug 5, 2018.

1. LesterBrown

LesterBrown Member

I think it very unlikely that the NRM would consider it. In the short term it is probably better in the care of someone with a genuine interest in it while the Trust's attention is focused on extending the railway.

Colin is right that Chelfham would probably be an excellent location cared for by its owner on site with other restored buildings separate to the operating line but unfortunately that is I think owned by the Trust (I haven't checked so correct me if I'm wrong).

2. Meatman

Meatman Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    i have never said it could never be placed on the operating railway,please dont make these statements when they are not true

3. LesterBrown

LesterBrown Member

In that case the current outlook for it is probably the best that could be hoped for, possibly better than for instance dismantled and tucked away out of sight at Woody Bay under a tarpaulin.

4. Axe +1

Axe +1 New Member

Retired {Electronics Engineer}
    The intention at Chelfham is to repair the original signal box which still exists for future use at that station. The L&BR Surrey Support Group has agreed to fund the purchase of any new timber required to achieve the restoration, and when I last visited Chelfham 3-weekends ago the hole had already been excavated to lay the concrete base to re-site the box in its original position.

SpudUk and LesterBrown like this.
  5. martin1656

martin1656 Nat Pres stalwart Friend

No I do not currently volunteer
    how much of the available track bed of the L&B is now in the hands of either the L&B OR Exmoor Associates ? and from which direction is the railway likily to start relaying track from once its ready to start extending out?

6. LesterBrown

LesterBrown Member

Thank you. I'm aware the original ground frame cabin's still there, I haven't visited Snapper, obviously there was enough room for a coach body there in the past but as it will be a long time before the rails approach Chelfham I thought that more likely to become a heritage destination in it's own right with more off line land possibly available.

But all in all I'm a bit disappointed in this signal box discussion making it appear there may be dissent between groups which in reality seem to be working well together.

7. Old Kent Biker

Old Kent Biker Member

ex IT Consultant
    I believe that between EA and the L&BRT, more than a third of the original route is under ownership, and the full route from Lynton to Pilton is protected from any adverse development in the Local Plan.

There is an interactive map of the route which gives more detail on Google: https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msi...1.195912,-3.898773&spn=0.043029,0.102825&z=13

Personally, I would anticipate that the first signs of major development would be at Blackmoor, within the next couple of years.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  8. Forestpines

Forestpines Well-Known Member

I'm not sure the NRM has a great reputation for looking after signalboxes. Twenty five or more years ago they "saved" Wellowgate Crossing signalbox, but it seems to have vanished into the maw of the collection with scanty information as to what has happened to it since.

To my mind the best thing to do is to keep it safely stored somewhere - and make sure everyone concerned knows where it is and what it is - until it can either be used on the railway or measured up to build a replica.

Old Kent Biker and Meatman like this.
  9. Greenway

Greenway Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    I am not sure the NRM would consider it. There is a lot of re-development in the future at their site, which I believe includes loss of land.