If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

L&B Coach at the NRM

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by Crazy Train29, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

a replica of coach no 1 stood next to the reamins of number 2 is not only not necessary as an interpretive display could do this with a photo or model but also an awful waste of a usable vehicle. How long do you imgine it would sit there before someone came up with the bright idea of putting it into traffic?

2. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Maybe its just a cunning plan to get the NRM to rebuild the entire L&B :)

3. Old Kent Biker

Old Kent Biker Member

ex IT Consultant
    I commented that "In an ideal world, perhaps a static replica of coach 1 in as-built condition could stand beside Coach 2 by way of comparison?" I'm in no way suggesting it is necessary, I didn't mention scale either - it would in effect be a model, even if 1:1, but a museum-quality model at say, 1:5 scale, would serve the display well (IMO). But it isn't likely - even at scale, such things aren't cheap.

4. Old Kent Biker

Old Kent Biker Member

ex IT Consultant
    Damn! I've been rumbled, although I don't think the L&B could wait that long ... ;)

5. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

ok so, build a 1:5 model then a length of track at 5" gauge or thereabouts..... i hear a romour of a 5" guage 2-4-2t being found in the Eden Project.

6. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

We've already got a 7 1/4" gauge "Taw"...

7. Crazy Train29

Crazy Train29 New Member

Night Receptionist
    antony,

you mentioned earlier in this thread that coach 2 wasnt the only unrestored coach at the NRM. what other ones are there? off the top of my head, the only one i can think of that isnt restored is the 4 wheeler behind bauxite no2, but apart fro that I dont know what else. Mind you I dont know if there is any at shildon or any others round the country. lol thanks!!

8. guard_jamie

guard_jamie Part of the furniture

Signalman
    I suggest you take a look on google maps at the rows and rows of unrestored rolling stock outside in the yards - at least L&B No.2 is undercover.

Incidentally this is NOT meant as a criticism of the NRM - I fully appreciate the difficulties of limited space, limited resources etc.

9. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    This has been a really facinating thread to follow. I once did an essay at University on History as Hertiage and the problems of doing so, to which I focused on the Bluebell Railway (and to a lesser extent the Mid-Hants) and how their historical interpretation of a railway from the period differs from the true heritage of the line. There is a balance to be be struck, and I think as a nation we should be incredibly proud in general of how we preserve both our working steam railways as an interpretation, and our historical displays in museums, and especially the NRM.

10. Old Kent Biker

Old Kent Biker Member

ex IT Consultant
    Not quite Coach 2, but the new underframe for coach 7 is now completed, at Boston Lodge, and will shortly be travelling to Essex to be mated to the rebuilt coach body, and join the underframe and body of coach 17. See: http://lynton-rail.co.uk/story/news/4102.

In addition, L&B Members registered on the website can also see a series of detail photos of the underfame, bogies, couplings and dual brake fittings...

11. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

The 4 VEP car, 2 HAP driving car, the Mk1 CL in the South Yard, the ECR 4 wheeler you note, the Mark 2 D in Station Hall, the GWR 6 wheeler at Shildon and the Mark 1 brake composite at Shildon, and that's just off my head... oh yes, the GCR Barnum at Ruddington, there are several...