If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

KWVR WINTER STEAM GALA - FEBRUARY 10th, 11th & 12th 2012 -RETURN OF THE 'COAL TANK'!

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by KWVR_PUBLICITY, Dec 16, 2011.

1. class8mikado

class8mikado Part of the furniture

Print Estimator/ Repository of Useless Informatio.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Re: KWVR WINTER STEAM GALA - FEBRUARY 10th, 11th & 12th 2012 -RETURN OF THE 'COAL TAN

Yes but with a bit more interaction with said gent youll get the gist that theres more humour then malice in it

2. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    Re: KWVR WINTER STEAM GALA - FEBRUARY 10th, 11th & 12th 2012 -RETURN OF THE 'COAL TAN

There isn't time on a forum for niceties like that in grazing through a forum - say what you mean to say in a way that leaves no doubt if it's tongue in cheek - but written as it was there was only one way to take it

3. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Yes I am an active volunteer

Look can we just drop this and get back to the KWVR gala. I'll be there, and I won't be whinging about the state of the foliage either.

4. 47406

47406 Well-Known Member

Operations Manager
  5. acw71000

acw71000 Member Friend

Latest issue of 'Steam Railway' mentions a night photography session at Haworth on the Friday of the gala. I phoned the KWVR but they knew nothing about it. Does anyone have any further information i.e is it pay on the night or does it have to be booked in advance?

6. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer

Any else one going to this one? Weather looks cold and clear(ish), so should be good for the photters too.

7. 6959 Class

6959 Class New Member

I'm making some final arrangements for my first visit to the KWVR and hopefully, weather and roads permitting, will be there on Thursday afternoon.
    Would someone let me know :-

Do all the locos face the same way? If so which way do they face?

In the timetables are the attached / detached locos at the front as double headed or the rear as bankers?

I'm keeping an eye on the weather for Keighley on the internet but if anyone can give me an update on the local roads, ice, snow by Wednesday night I would be grateful.

Thanks in advance

Keith from South West Wales

8. D7076

D7076 Well-Known Member

Usually locos face Oxenhope and locos attached detached at Haworth on /from the front of the train.

9. 45674

45674 New Member

I don't know if there's anything formal like on the ELR but last time I just went into the shed yard after dark with my lineside pass. Remember to both anticipate and watch out for shunting movements and follow instructions of the shed staff. Also, you need to be able to squeeze into the yard if the gate is locked as the gap between the gate post and the wall isn't very large!

Untitled | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

10. Flying Yorkshireman

Flying Yorkshireman New Member

Retired

Hi Keith,

I'm a member at the KWVR and live just a few miles away from the line. We had quite a lot of snow on Saturday, but much of it has melted now and the roads round here are fine. We are not expecting any appreciable falls before Friday and no more is forecast for the weekend. I'm due to be there at times on all three days, but may well drive up to Ribblehead to see 70013 on the CME on Saturday, which is about an hour's drive away. Hellifield is only about 25 minutes from Keighley, although with less spectacular scenery, but you could combine the two events quite easily. It's a matter of looking at Saturday's timetable and working out what you might miss at the gala at the time.

As already mentioned, the vast majority of double headers will be with both locomotives at the front and best views and photos will be for trains going uphill from Keighley to Oxenhope, with the locos facing forwards and working hard.

I hope that you enjoy your time in Yorkshire.

11. RayMason

RayMason Member

Company secretary. Finance director

Yes! Plan to visit with a daughter on Friday+with the missus on Sat!!
    I used to live in Huddersfield/Leeds uni so this line was vital.On a visit last year it was fantastic/atmospheric AAA+++
    The draft WTTs look good. 957 43924 49xxx/58926 in addition to Nunlow/80002. I partic like the vintage carriages used at galas and the WTT clearly states when the elderly carriages are out. 957+L+Y stock--phew!!

12. Britfoamer

Britfoamer Well-Known Member

Chemist (semi-retired)

KWVLR home site appears to be down this morning and none of the above T/T links work, hope it's temporary I didn't manage a look in until today.

13. MarkinDurham

MarkinDurham Well-Known Member

I'm planning on attending, with a couple of friends, on Friday. Looks like it'll be below freezing all day, so will be well wrapped up! If it's half as good as last February's gala, it'll be a belter; we're really looking forward to it

14. class8mikado

15. JBTEvans

JBTEvans Well-Known Member

The Goods is banked, and I have been on several banked passengers, mostly Ingrow locals but still.

16. class8mikado

Yes you are right, the goods is sometimes banked.... dont ever recall a passenger being banked though.

17. KWVR_PUBLICITY

KWVR_PUBLICITY New Member

Hi All
    Photo shoot Friday evening:
    2030 onwards, £5 or donation there abouts. Picnic area will be closed to public access during the hours where this event takes place.
    Lights etc will be in place to light the yard up.

Website - it moved servers on Monday evening so this is probably why you couldn't access it.
    You will need to refresh your browser if it is still not working.

Roads/snow/ice - all main roads are now clear of snow in the area after the weekends snow flurries.

Souvenir Gala brochure now available.

18. forty

forty Member

Just been on website & all wokring ok.

Re photo shoot on Friday evening - any details on what will be featured? Will there be any movement of engines or just a lit up line up? Any further info greatly received

19. KWVR_PUBLICITY

KWVR_PUBLICITY New Member

The night shoot will be a static shoot, with the shed lit up with extra lights.
    Not sure which engines will be where at present, it will depend on which engines require a pit overnight.

All engines will be 'on shed' that evening.

20. Respite

Respite Member

Retired

Please could someone from the KWVR tell me if 80002 is now retubed and fit to run for the gala?
    Thanks.