If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

KWVR Winter Steam Gala, 13th, 14th and 15th February 2009

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by KieranPilsworth, Oct 20, 2008.

1. KieranPilsworth

KieranPilsworth Member

46115 is too heavy for the KWVR

2. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Any chance of 1300 Kieran? Doubleheader with 957 and the L&Y coaches... [-o<

3. Not yet im praying for this but it wont be next year i can tell you that

4. KieranPilsworth

KieranPilsworth Member

Never say never!

I know the loco we are looking for, but you never know what could happen with failures/non availability etc

5. Jeff Albiston

Jeff Albiston Member

You couldn't give us a tiny clue could you?

6. Nope if i dont know you cant know and im kwvr staff ](*,)

7. twomanydjs

twomanydjs New Member

1300 & 957 are due to be pared as i undersanted it but were and when i dont know i am looking forward for it thou it sould be like what the bluebell did with there 0-6-0s \:D/

8. KieranPilsworth

KieranPilsworth Member

Only that you will find out in good time. Things tend to be announced on the KWVR website first.

Keep an eye out for updates

9. Plans are rapidly comming apace for this event as yet all i can say is watch this space but this gala will be one to remember so i urge you to make a visit to the kwvr over this event!

10. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    I presume from your dyslexic comment that you intended to say paired ( as in coupled together ) rather than pared ( reduced in size ); pardon my pedant mode but some things just get to me at times - and poor spelling is one of them ! #-o #-o

11. KieranPilsworth

KieranPilsworth Member

Just to clear the 957 and 1300 issue up:

Both of the locos are set to appear together at some point! ... but not this year at the moment.
    February is not an ideal time for vintage coaches (as they do not have steam heat) which would ideally need to be used for these 2 locos, especially the L & Y coaches.

Updates on February very soon....

12. The longer we leave 1300 and 957 out of the picture as people seem to of forgotten Barton wright 0-6-0ST 752 which is currently under overhaul and set to return at apace soom

13. KieranPilsworth

KieranPilsworth Member

NEWS UPDATE!

(Please see thread lower down)

BR Standard Class 7 Britannia class 70013 Oliver Cromwell

BR WD 2-8-0 90733
    BR 4MT 2-6-2 80002 (Now carrying Scottish Blue numberplates)
    BR Ivatt 2-6-2 41241
    BR 0-6-0 'Jinty' 47279
    Taff Vale Railway 0-6-2 No. 85
    L & Y 0-6-0 957
    Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0 1704 Nunlow

The gala has taken a Standard theme and will feature 4 Riddles Designed engines

14. Am glad to here all has gone well this will be a very good event !

80002 with her blue plates and polmadie on the buffer beam looks the dogs ********

15. chrisj94

chrisj94 New Member

Sounds excellent.
    Hope the weekend is blessed with the same fantastic weather we have seen over the last couple of years.

16. blackfive

blackfive Member

While I'm sure it will be a most successful Gala (as usual) and while, all being well, I'll be there (although only one day now that I'm not living so close) I hope no one will mind, or take this the wrong way if I sneak out of the woodwork and be a bit controversial.

I have to say that the choice of visiting locos does very little for me! (Warned you I was going to be controversial, didn't I!)

The thing is, both 76079 and 70013, fine locos though they are, have already had plenty of exposure hereabouts. I'm pretty sure that most people who have wanted to see them and ride behind them have had plenty of opportunity. Don't forget that, as well as S&C work, 70013 did 2 weeks of SSEs and 76079 isn't even a new loco for the Valley. You can also add that, for me, a Britannia Pacific doesn't look quite right on a branch line with a relatively short train especially if it's double headed as will surely happen at some point.
    I will admit that having a high profile loco visiting may well boost attendances but I can't help that the same effect could be achieved in another way.
    So, in June, how about the visitor or visitors that aren't doing the main line workings be something smaller, something that hasn't had much exposure? I'm sure that there would be plenty of suggestions from others but I'll chip in with this hint; perhaps something off the North Norfolk?
    Lastly, I did read a suggestion somewhere that a visitor for the June gala would be a certain A4. Fair enough, providing that's the loco for the main line workings but, please, not for the branch!

Right, that's it - I shall now head for my flame proof bunker until it's safe to come out...

p.s. What, no Autumn Gala next year?

17. 37255

37255 Guest

With 70013, it's not just about the looks, but the sound! :D (Wait, did I say that about the S160 a few months ago? #-o ) Either way it'll put on far more of a show than any A4!

18. steamingyorkshire

steamingyorkshire Well-Known Member

Lecturer
    Well i for one are really looking forward to the sounds that are going to be produced from the engines, but you can't please everyone i suppose. But at the end of the day aren't the named engines the ones that are going to draw the people in?
    And the A4's axel is too large for it too haul trains on the branch i believe.

19. D7076

D7076 Well-Known Member

Was hoping that 34070 was going to be the second visitor,on its first visit up North,in what would have been a KWVR coup a bit like 828 many years ago.

Nothing against 76079,but would have preferred 70013 all day than probably alternating with 76079(the noise factor indeed).

20. dmr

dmr New Member

kwvr website has no mention of 76079 visiting , it did yesterday.