If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

KWVR Winter Steam Gala - 11th, 12th & 13th February 2011

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by KieranPilsworth, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I imagine you're right but it would add the atmosphere and feel to the station at Keighley to have a bit more to look at. It's surprising that after 40 years of preservation that the layout at Keighley hasn't been fully signalled - what's been stopping the railway from doing this? The token section to Damens could disappear with the introduction of tokenless block or acceptance lever working. It just seems a bit basic for a railway that's been around for a long time.

2. KieranPilsworth

KieranPilsworth Member

3. pennysteam

pennysteam Well-Known Member

analyst computer programmer
    Like all Heritage railways I thing you will find the railway does all it can with the constraint's of the budget of its paying members, passengers and volunteers. Unfortunately it can't do everything and doing one thing effect's another, then you have those unforeseen event like landslips or in KWVR case the recent problems with the Bridge after Oakworth. In these instances railways have to some how raise extra capital as quickly as possible as every penny has already been accounted for twice over. Speaking as full member of the railways for some years now and as a person who visits many railways around the UK, I think you will find KWVR does very well within the limitations of budget, Maintain a Large active Fleet of Steam Engines all years round with a good variety of engines and steam every weekend for one is major achievement that most railways can not match and some of the far bigger ones struggle with. When you compare the time table with most other railways gala weekend's or not you will find the mount of traffic at KWVR compares' favorably, not forgetting on top of that they are doing all this in just over 4 miles as well. I know there are some projects that take longer than we would all like, but you can pick similar projects at all heritage railways as they have strike a balance between what they would like to do and what is possible within their means.

As for Hi-Vis's , even as a line side myself I still see them, unfortunately there is now easy answer to this in this day and age, one thing you can say is everyone has made a specific donation to the railway and without paying members you wouldn't have the event or railway.

4. RayMason

RayMason Member

Company secretary. Finance director
    Perhaps I'm odd + undemanding....

I had a FANTASTIC AMAZING WONDERFUL 100% ++ time

No complacency when I visited on Sunday with "family" ( incl a non enthusiast daughter) We all had a brilliant day

Why? Friendly,helpful,atmospheric.

Themuseums at Ingrow were truly good. Volunteers were axious to explain "basics" as well as complicated questions from me!

A highly demanding friend of over 45yrs told me he really enjoyed himself--praise indeed!!

957,Nunlow,90733,47279,80002 + 2 Black 5 s. Coo er -- pretty good in my book

I travelled from Dawlish by rail(via VT 4965) + conclude it was "defo WORTH it" (!!!)

Many thanks to the organisers. A totally satisfied customer

Ray Mason

5. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    Three very important points:

1. High turnover does not mean large sums of cash are available for capital improvements. As a friend of mine (a retired Bank Manager) says "Turnover is vanity, profit is nice but cash is king". The cost of a steam railway operation is enormous - why do you think BR got rid (of both steam and the lines we now run!) (And do most enthusiasts have any idea of the costs involved?)

2. Galas can prove vital in closing the gap between income and costs and generally the smaller the overall passenger numbers, the more vital Galas and other Special Events are. However, I think one would have to ask very probing questions before spending a lot of money to expand operations on a handful of days a year. Circumstances like the GCR, where a large bequest paid for the double track, are different and perhaps an enthusiats appeal with a clear statement that signalling improvements would proceed only as funds from that appeal might give some people the chance to put the money where their mouth is!

3. Given the severity with which the regulators have viewed a recent Gala incident elsewhere, what do you think it looks like to the same regulators when enthusiasts ask that Hi-Vis clothing be dispensed with? I have had this argument elsewhere and put my safety ahead of your photograph - sorry! Consideration for the look of the place is fine, but, much as some enthusiasts seem to think that a heritage railway visit is like a TARDIS trip to the past, we actually operate in the modern world - or we don't operate at all!

Finally, a question for kieran - could a train be locked in at Haworth without having to return to Damens? I am thinking you could send the shuttle up to Howarth, pass a goods at damens, detrain at Haworth platform and then lock into the loop as I presume locos are at the end of the day.

Steven

6. KieranPilsworth

KieranPilsworth Member

7. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    It is to be regretted that my post amongst others has angered people at the KWVR but that doesn't mean that I'm in anyway repentant. The KWVR is, AFAIK, the only heritage railway in the UK founded in the 60s that isn't signalled and an good many of those that came along in the 70s are too. It's time that the KWVR sorted this one out.

I didn't know about the Oakworth bridges until this exchange of posts. I made the effort to find information on the KWVR website and it took some looking for; why? If the railway is in such need, and I can well imagine that it is, why is it so difficult? That needs to be sorted too.

There is a cheque for £50 in the post for the bridges appeal and I will try to send more next month, but please, please, can the railway get its finger out.

Regards

8. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

Thanks Kieran - I realise the problem now without signalling at Oxenhope, the train in the platform is still in section unless it is shunted into the yard and locked in - far too much shunting to hope to keep time on a Gala day. Would I be correct that Oxenhope never had a signal box and has always had a ground frame and token machine in the station building?

Steven

9. KieranPilsworth

KieranPilsworth Member

10. pennysteam

back to the gala, another A1 show, this is the last of a 3 parter covering saturday.

[video=youtube;CmhfxtFzlVw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmhfxtFzlVw&hd=1[/video]

11. 46236

46236 Well-Known Member

lord of the manor
    sorry to point out but u have spelt Keighley wrongly on the title

12. pennysteam

doh!

On the subject of the bridge I have just posted this film.
    [video=youtube;KUwpjpLZ-gM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUwpjpLZ-gM&hd=1[/video]

13. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    Nice piece of publicity there Ken.

Regards