If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

KWVR Winter Steam Gala - 11th, 12th & 13th February 2011

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by KieranPilsworth, Dec 15, 2010.

1. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I don't really understand this kind of attitude. I bet you'll defend the right for locomotive owners to paint their engines in whatever colour they like, but a farmer isn't allowed to protect his own land because it might upset a few photographers? Frankly if it's his land then respect his wishes.

2. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    But most photographers are taxpayers, and most farmers receive subsidies. In these circumstances, a little humility on the part of the recipient wouldn't go amiss.

I suppose that one could say the same about bankers, but we don't often need access to bank premises for photography!

3. Neil_Scott

Neil_Scott Part of the furniture

Railway servant
    Absolute rubbish. Many engines have received HLF grants but people are very concerned about the rights of locomotive owning groups and wouldn't dare dream about telling them what to do with them (to further the comparison). The farmer who owns his land has the right to refuse access to it to photographers if he wants to, regardless of where his income comes from. No wonder landowners near preserved railways get hacked off!

4. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    People can choose whether to play the lottery and indirectly subsidise loco restoration grants. We can't choose whether to pay taxes that go to farmers and bankers. I promise to say no more on this as it's getting a bit OT.

I shall have a great weekend at the gala and without trespassing into fields! Still, it would have been rather nice to take a photo of double headed Black 5s actually on Mytholmes viaduct.

5. pennysteam

pennysteam Well-Known Member

analyst computer programmer
    Attitude, yes I suppose all your replies have a lot of attitude!

I was simply pointing there are no crops, mainly plain fields. If there was really an issue then the farmer's like at Llangollen would not let you in their fields either, clearly some are perfectly happy and can see no harm is being done, while others don't. On another accasion I was confronted by another farmer around Llangollan who sware blind there was not footpath which I was walking on despite the fact I pointed it out to him on the map and secondly he was standing infront of a sign saying public footpath.

For the record I will not be in the relevant field or any other, however I my original point was simply point was it would make more sense where no actual harm is being coursed to allow access in a sensible way. In this particular scenario the field also worth far more as a tourist attraction than plain field, he could quite easily make an voluntary access pass, which many farmers do, and charge some nominal fee.

6. 46236

46236 Well-Known Member

lord of the manor
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Its not a farm, its a private house, owned at one time and possibly stillis, by an ex police inspector.

7. dalrypaul

dalrypaul Guest

It's amazing how few confrontations there are when you have an open access policy for the countryside, like in Scotland. As long as you're sensible, the farmers are usually pretty welcoming and relaxed and there doesn't seem to be massive problems with crop destruction or animal disturbance. How different it is in most parts of England, where there seems to be a constant battle that does neither party's blood pressure any good.

8. pennysteam

Agreed, the difference is both sides are on equal footing and they learn to co-exist, same scanario with the odd farmer like the one at Llangollan who has even added extra styles to help access.

9. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    I was recently on the Bluebell walking the footpaths for my video. The bloke who owns Noble's Farm had cut up the public right of way so badly with his tractor that it was impassable and he had put up an electric fence which prevented access anyway. I took a diversion of course on a field that had been sown with grass (the area around the Bluebell is too wet to be used as arable) but he shouted at me to keep to the footpath! I just waved at him and moved on.

This isn't the first time I've come across electric fences across public rights of way, they seem to be quite common. I can understand farmers complaining when their crops are damaged and I do feel most strongly that walkers should keep to the footpath, but there is fault on both sides. I should think that the farmer who owns the field near the A6004 at Woodthorpe on the GCR has good reason to complain!

I think the lady at Garthydwr on the Llangollen who permits access to her property on payment of £2 does quite well out of it. Its a pity that other farmers don't have a more enterprising attitude to this matter, there is money to be made. I wonder if the railways themselves could negotiate with landowners on behalf of the enthusiast community.

Regards

10. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    Having been on many photo charters on the line I am aware that many landowners are less willing to tolerate access during the lambing season due to risk of animal losses. Their living is so precarious at best and their tolerance at other times acknowledged that it is surely a matter of respect not to force the issue of lineside access. The railway has engendered good relations with most farmers over the years by observing these courtesies. Sadly it is the hooligan / inconsiderate element that have caused some landowners to be less tolerant as the recent example of the field across from the cattle dock has proved with its recent additions of barbed wire and warnings to keep out or face prosecution.

11. pennysteam

Not certain where the cattle dock is, I suspect near the goods yard at oakworth as I know the wall has been down in several places there which I think appeared over night, some of locals seem to use the area a common land between oakworth and damems and I suspect these were down to short cutting after a night out. Still an issue, even more for us, I remember last winter a cow being loose in the goods yard, which was probably the result of a similar scenario.

Over all KWVR as good access, especially if you taking photo's, line side or public access, you do tend to find locals wondering the line taking short cut's and climbing over wall's etc, I would say more than phographer's, on one gala I suggested to one carring two bags of shopping back from oxenhope shops that maybe the footpath was a safer route. Possibly the only real issue is the one that all the debate has been around, which is due to it being a famous shot and secondly it has become much more enclosed by surrounding tree's. Looking back at old photo's you could get the whole of the corner in from above the tunnel.

Well only a few days to go now, finger's crossed on the weather.

12. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    And toes!

Regards

13. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    Had the full post been read it should have been obvious that I was talking about the situation at the Llangollen Railway where the local farmers try to allow access, except at lambing time when their precarious living makes them seek to minimise risks - including land access by railway photographers. The KWVR issues lineside permits which state where access is restricted and AIUI there are few complaints from local landowners regarding unwarranted access to their propoerties.

14. pennysteam

Doh, should have known better than posting at 3am in the morning.

15. KieranPilsworth

KieranPilsworth Member

Shunting starts tomorrow! Engine due to arrive Wednesday evening.

16. Jeff Albiston

Jeff Albiston Member

Should be making an apperance on Saturday, hopefully get a ride behind the two Black 5s on the Express run. :)

17. 46236

46236 Well-Known Member

lord of the manor
    Not much evidence of any shunting 2day.

18. KieranPilsworth

KieranPilsworth Member

19. KieranPilsworth

KieranPilsworth Member

20. 46236

46236 Well-Known Member

lord of the manor
    just thinking about access to farm fields, if a farmer did this he would have to have public liability insurance, planning permission, and advise all and sundry including the tax man. Not really a viable situation. Seems so easy but never is. Other option is to sign an imdemnity form, removing any responsibility of the owner of the land from any eventuality. rabbit holes can break bones.