If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Kwvr summer steam gala: fri 26 - sun 28 june

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Julian Jones, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Julian Jones

Julian Jones New Member

Visiting locos 63601 and 5690 leander now confirmed

2. pennysteam

pennysteam Well-Known Member

analyst computer programmer
    Would be nice to see Leander up the Valley, A big plus having the 04, could be her last outing before her ticket is up.

3. dmr

dmr New Member

will leander be used on the worth valley railway or just the mainline ?

4. Julian Jones

Julian Jones New Member

The present intention is that leander will only be used on the main line shuttles on the saturday and sunday. More details in due course.

5. conireland

conireland Member

Please give Leander at least 1 service on the railway [-o< [-o< [-o<

6. steamingyorkshire

steamingyorkshire Well-Known Member

Lecturer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Well i'd of thought she would be stabled at Haworth over Saturday night so you'll get a chance to see it run up the branch. ;)

7. 45581

45581 Part of the furniture

But of course tender first from Keighley.

8. blackfive

blackfive Member

And there's always Friday...

9. pennysteam

I can see the logic to some extant, but I as you can never be in two places at once and the valley will have loads of engines and plenty of action including the goods, you tend to end up missing the mainline based train unless you are on the platform at keighley. NYMR are doing the same I see, I do wonder why. With out a doubt it was great to see Sir Lamiel running earlyer this year and cromwell as well .

One other Idea, Any thought of Pulling Bahamer's out along side her, could even be a good platform to start a push to getting her back in ticket. After all we will have two leanders with in a lump of coal throw of each other at Oxenhope.

10. twomanydjs

twomanydjs New Member

The problem with that is getting her out of the shed if i remeber right she is behind the 8f which i have been told wont move unless we realy need to as the cuve in to the musem is a bit tight to get her round.
    Whould be nice thou

11. CALEDONIA

CALEDONIA New Member

Retired
    I hope that Leander is given a couple of runs on the WVR on the friday ( or how about extending her stay till the next weekend so she can work on the service trains) - i well remember the last time she was there and a superb run non stop from Keighley to Haworth on the friday evening - that 3 cylinder beat was magnificent.
    I think that the run to Ribblehead on the Saturday evening of the Gala is a must do trip

12. blackfive

blackfive Member

I see from the K&WVR web site that we won't be getting the loco workings in advance on the net this time.
    While I appreciate that they will be available, hopefully well in advance, for a small charge and that, obviously, for the railway, a Gala is a money making exercise, I think this change of policy is rather a shame.
    Freely providing Gala timetable in the past has created a lot of good will and set the K&WVR apart from other lines who seem to delight in making such information difficult to get hold of.
    Just a thought...

13. 37255

37255 Guest

I second that. I was in 2 minds about this gala and I think that's just decided me...

14. blackfive

blackfive Member

I hope I'm not being miss-understood here!
    While, being a Yorkshireman, I'm always keen on something for nothing, I've no problem with paying for the info, I just want to be able to get it well in advance and as conveniently as possible.
    Perhaps paying for the loco roster on-line and having it sent by email would be a good solution?
    Easier for everyone, doing it that way. Any chance of being able to do that Julian?
    Excellent, getting the O4 by the way!

15. steamingyorkshire

Lecturer
    The timetables with loco roosters are to be printed in the souvenir booklet, which i must say is fantastic! and worth a lot more than the £2.50 being charged, how early these will be on sale i don't know, i'm sure Kieran will put you all in the correct direction.

16. 46236

46236 Well-Known Member

lord of the manor
    No I do not currently volunteer
    So on top of paying £30 for membership and lineside permit, they want another 2.50. Its the principle here not just the money, send dets out with next available issue of Push & Pull ?

17. pennysteam

Frankly 2.50 is a fair price, member ship gives you 4 day rovers on none gala events, says 3 but you alsp get one on the form, so your are quids in. Finaly the line side pass is again all year and that covers you for another gala, vintage trains, special guest engines like 30777 and double headers on the santa's. Frankly its a bargin.

Secondly a good quilty souvenir guide is not cheep, I have been to some gala's and you get a slip of paper, a4 copy of the roster and payed a fiver. I was still happy to pay that as you have to remember the only reason we have so many steam railways and train today is because poeple have been will to put the hand in there pocket, maybe you could offer to pay an extra 2.50 for you line side pass and they will throw the booklet in for free.

18. steamingyorkshire

Lecturer
    I'm sorry Ben but i have to disagree with your intensely here!

Last Sept at the NYMR they were charging £2.50 for their timetable with loco rooster and was placed on a single piece of paper, the booklet available for the gala includes loads of stuff from what i can remember: Timetables, a guide to the line, extensive information on the engines etc etc... and i felt it was worth a lot more that £2.50 and i'm sure many others will too! Plus it's 32 pages long!

The line side pass stuff is a bargain on the Worth Valley, cost me £33 for this year, i paid £45 just for the line side pass on the Moors, that does not include the membership or the PTS exam.

19. markjkirby

markjkirby Member

most railways charge for a gala timetable so why not kwvr?
    mark

20. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Finally I may get to hear the O4 working reasonably hard. Have never got any decent recordings of it on the GC.