If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

KWVR February Steam Gala

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by conireland, Nov 2, 2009.

1. 46236

46236 Well-Known Member

lord of the manor
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    ah, I told u you would be back, steam in the blood now and all that (and of course the cash)

2. 46236

46236 Well-Known Member

lord of the manor
    No I do not currently volunteer
    just run a normal summer service, 2 trains running, that way the visitor puts in more trips, just add a freight morning Kly - Ingrow or Oxenhope - Haworth loop. or short passenger at one of the ends, both top and tailed?

3. Autocar

Autocar New Member

Not necessarily true.

The calculation the KWVR need to do is to work out how many 'normal' tickets are sold as opposed to rover tickets on a gala day. Once a rover ticket is purchased no additional income is generated from running additional trains.

If, as I suspect, the majority of tickets sold are rover tickets, they then need to ensure the right balance of attractions (passenger, freight etc) to ensure the maximum number of tickets are purchased.

I do not pretend to suggest this is a simple task! Just that IF rover tickets are sold running purely passenger trains may or may not maximise income.

Ben

4. KieranPilsworth

KieranPilsworth Member

Not for this gala...

The N2 at the present time is our only engine, we "MAY" get another engine but not at present, and if we did it would be another tank engine to keep costs down.

Every change of a pick up freight, this usually operates on the Friday however as it takes a large chunk of the timetable up.

Regular freights are impossible as we can only run a 2 train service.

5. blackfive

blackfive Member

But please, please, please have a passenger train up the line from Keighley in front of it to give us public transport using, non-car drivers a chance...

6. Hunslets Finest

Hunslets Finest Well-Known Member

They usually do. In 2008 it was the Ivatt on load 2 and it looked perfect.

7. blackfive

blackfive Member

But, for the June Gala, on the Friday the goods ran at 09:45 and the first train up the line wasn't until 11:00.

8. conireland

conireland Member

That's a shame BUT considering that in 3 gala's the KWVR has had... 70013, 5690, 63601 and now the N2, it's very, very impresive

9. pennysteam

pennysteam Well-Known Member

analyst computer programmer
    Just an Idea, you could put a freight wagon with the vintage after all this did happen Pre WW2.

10. I was under the impression mixed trains where illegal

11. KieranPilsworth

KieranPilsworth Member

I totally agree with you Sidmouth.
    There are 3 main members who are part of the gala organising team (this does not reconize the countless others that help, but none the less there are 3 main people)

We sit down and decide what we want to do, what YOU (the enthusiast) want, and then what a normal Joe public wants and try to balance this up.

As an example the N2 is ex Kings Cross, so are our set of Suburban carriages, so at some point the intention is to match the n2 with a full rake of these.

Freights were not common in June gala due to the mainline trains (Which we are not running this year) so there may be a few more freights, maybe even a brakedown crane train.

As the Railway has long been established so have our rules, Unfortunatly we cannot bank passenger trains, this is why goods tend to have bankers, and no mixed trains.

I will take note of trying to have a Pass train run before the pickup, this seems a very good, logical idea. Thank you.

12. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    Don't think adding a van to a passenger train is illegal. I'd be most surprised if it were. I think the illegal aspects would come in if the van wasn't vacuum or air braked.

There was a time when railways would run a mixed train of passenger and goods where the unfitted goods/mineral wagons would be behind the loco. This done in order to make shunting en-route easier. When the legislation re continuous brakes was enacted by the Queen's most excellent majesty this practice became illegal. The passenger section of the train had to be next to the loco or coupled behind wagons that had continous brakes or a through pipe. In practice it meant that the passenger vehicles were coupled behind the loco because there were so many wagons that were only equipped with a hand brake, vastly outnumbering those with a continuous brake.

Regards

13. markjkirby

markjkirby Member

in the mid 80s there used to be a van on the oxenhope end of the train when the 4f, big jim and corby were running, i can not remember the other's.

14. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    No.

The Regulation of Railways Act 1889 empowered the Board of Trade to require railways:
    (c)To provide for and use on all their trains carrying passengers continuous brakes complying with the following requirements, namely:—
    (i) The brake must be instantaneous in action, and capable of being applied by the engine-driver and guards;
    (ii) The brake must be self-applying in the event of any failure in the continuity of its action;
    (iii) The brake must be capable of being applied to every vehicle of the train, whether carrying passengers or not;
    (iv) The brake must be in regular use in daily working;
    (v) The materials of the brake must be of a durable character, and easily maintained and kept in order.

However this was repealed under the The Railway Safety (Miscellaneous Provisions) Regulations 1997 and effectively replaced by:
    6. The operator of a vehicle shall ensure that a suitable and sufficient braking system is provided and maintained for that vehicle and, where the vehicle is part of a train of vehicles, for that train of vehicles.

Thus, as long as the brake is operational throughout the train, mixed trains are perfectly legal.

15. Hunslets Finest

Hunslets Finest Well-Known Member

A vanfit on the back of the local passenger would look lovely but I can see a big problem and it isn't the brakes! The train might be a little cold going down hill!

16. pennysteam

pennysteam Well-Known Member

analyst computer programmer
    When it pulls in at Oxenhope the shunter could remove it or drop it on the other end in the event of doing it.

17. Orion

Orion Well-Known Member

Pensioner!
    Thanks for the clarification.

Regards

18. Robert Heath No.6

Robert Heath No.6 Well-Known Member

Suspect that might send the timetable to the dogs! Maybe it'd work on the Ingrow/Damems shuttle though? If people are only sat on the set in the cold for a few minutes riding down from Ingrow, it's not too big a deal, and the Damems shuttle tends to be T&T anyway...

19. KieranPilsworth

KieranPilsworth Member

im 90% confident that our rule book restircts the running of mixed trains, as I wanted to run them this year.

Only exception I believe is the Midland Riding Van (50ft parcel one) as this classes as a coach.

20. Locknut

Locknut New Member

Not necessary to walk the token to the loop, there are token machines at all the stations. They are frequently used by works trains on Saturdays to lock in when necessary. Oakworth yard is rather restricted though, difficult to do much shunting while locked in. (The goods shed road would need to reasonably clear, which it rarely is!

Chris.