If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Jumping over pits.

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by admin, Mar 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stu in Torbay

Stu in Torbay Part of the furniture

GPS Navigation Engineer
    Err, forget the pits, what about a row of blokes shoving a locomotive - is that allowed? (feet under the wheels, or worse, whoops I slipped arm, head....) There must be H&S or rule book rules regarding humans propelling railway vehicles?!

2. ralphchadkirk

ralphchadkirk New Member Account Suspended

Yes. There would have been the driver in the cab with his hand on the brake.

3. 73096

73096 Member

to be fair its a gala and they're trying to save 73096 so perhaps exceptions are allowed condering they wanted to try and keep trains running!

and also its not like its a bottomless pit i'm sure he'll survive

4. Small Prairie

Small Prairie Part of the furniture

Coach Driver
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Been there , done it . got the blood on the arm .....it didnt kill me to be honest .

To be honest , i cant see why admin feels the need to have this picture on the Nat Pres site and id be happy if he took it off , but seeing as he must have something agisnt the MHR you know this wont be done .

as for jumping over the pit , he wasnt ....he streched across the pit keeping both hands out of his pockets and one foot on the other ledge ...unless H&S want to bubble wrap us . i dont see how thats dangours.

5. cct man

cct man Part of the furniture

CONSTRUCTION
    I too would like to take issue with Admin.

A photo is a ohoto, just that, nobody can see what happenned next, so how does anyone know what the next move was?.Now a short piece of film now that a different matter , but this is pure speculation on Admins part.

I am suprised that someone of Admins integrety should do this, maybe he is stirring it , maybe not, but in the interests of justice it should be removed so what say you Mr Admin?.

Regards
    Chris Willis

6. ralphchadkirk

I too would like to take issue with Admin.

A photo is a ohoto, just that, nobody can see what happenned next, so how does anyone know what the next move was?.Now a short piece of film now that a different matter , but this is pure speculation on Admins part.

I am suprised that someone of Admins integrety should do this, maybe he is stirring it , maybe not, but in the interests of justice it should be removed so what say you Mr Admin?.

Regards
    Chris Willis[/quote:szuv6dnw]

Totally agree Chris and Mr. Small Prarie.

7. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

I don't think exceptions to safety rules are ever allowed, no matter what the situation, especially over something as relatively trivial as a broken down train.

I'm intrigued by this, as far as I'm aware Glyn has no beef with the MHR, so why would he be doing it to spite the MHR as you seem to be claiming?

As to the picture itself, I myself believe that as long as it remains on the official MHR site, it's fair game. Also, it makes a good point about showing younger volunteers about what not to do around shed yards.

8. 34007

34007 Part of the furniture

I know before now if people wish to gain access to the otherside of the Pit that a piece of board has been laid across the concrete between the rails....

9. Ollie.J.C

Ollie.J.C New Member

it looks 2 me if he is going to help move the 33 and what would u lot do?, run round the pit, walk round a safe part of the pit or ignored the call for help to push the 33. i think this forum should be deleted!!!

10. ralphchadkirk

So why was there that fuss when I "adapted" the rules? By your logic as long as they remained on here I should have them

11. Small Prairie

Coach Driver
    To be honest , your right about that .

Although i cant see why it has been said by atleast 3 people on here now to politly take it down that one of the mods could have even locked it and let admin dicide himself to open it up and recive lots of abuse.

12. ralphchadkirk

How many times do you put on your Hi-Viz when stepping down from the loco footplate. It's a given fact that loco crew never put on their hi-viz.

13. Small Prairie

Coach Driver
    i know the only time im ever wearing a Hi Vis is if im down there working on an engine after dark in the yard and shuntting is going on , or when im lineside . i dont wear a hi vis at all when im on the engine . i know for a fact i took a hi vis with me out on the A4 on both fri and sat , but only incase we were to have failed/slipped to a stand and had to walk back to somewhere.

I think to be honest , this is just to spite the MHR by Admin as i know he hasnt gotten on well with Tony wood before .

I think ill ask one last time on here nicly to have the photos removed or ill just got round and ask every mod till it happens

14. stepney60

And where have I said that this chap's actions were acceptable? Nowhere. All I said was this it showed younger volunteers out there what not to do in a loco yard.

15. stepney60

Why shouldn't he walk round the pit? It's not as though the 33 is going anywhere quickly, is it?

16. stepney60

Hi-viz is not compulsory in the loco yard, which is why you never see people wearing it. However, jumping over a pit is always banned, in just about every standard gauge yard in the country. The chap broke the rules, I fail to see why this is such a big issue?

17. Stewie Griffin

Stewie Griffin Member

Another Mid-Hants thread, another load of over-reacting, bickering and general 'everybody hates us' rubbish. For crying out loud, anyone would think the Mid-Hants was the Millwall of heritage railways; 'nobody likes us, but we actually do care'. Hate to throw a fly in the ointment as well, but my copy of the shed safety notes (given to me more years ago than I care to remember) specifically states do not step over pits.

And as for your stuff about Admin, what a load of cobblers. If the picture is in the public domain anyway, how is it showing he has an issue with the MHR? Get over yourselves.

Yet again, I do wonder what some of those from the MHR who engage their brain before they post are thinking about all this...

18. stepney60

Grow up Mitchell.

19. Tracklayer

Tracklayer Resident of Nat Pres

Employed
    I wouldnt worry steppers, as you are no longer a mod he wont be asking you!

20. Ollie.J.C

Ollie.J.C New Member

Mr stepney60, what i mean was that the person had to help push the 33 because he look like he was walking to help give the 33 a push, yes the action were not acceptable and he souldn't have done it but there was no board to cross so he had to cross over the pit anyway a few people do cross the pit like that and not just the MHR that does it and just because one person got caught everyone made a big deal out of nothing, and i think as i have said this forum needs to closed as getting rather silly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.